PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Canal Sharks

brooksey
07-07-2006, 07:20 PM
hey guys,

im going to give shark fishing a go for the first time on the coast, i live near the isle of capri bridge in surfers, whats the chances of sharks in the stretch of river near me>>??? and wat bait

Louis
08-07-2006, 06:32 AM
With winter, you will catch drastically less sharks than with the summer months.

Having said that though, what have you got to loose? Go have a crack at them and find out.

I'm not from you’re neck of the woods so I can't advise on spots to try etc. but try using a fish bait of some sort, (a winter whiting that you may catch is ideal), and hook it up on a 3/0 set of 3 ganged hooks attached to plastic coated wire trace of the length of the shark you are likely to encounter.

Hope this helps

Louis

Deiter
08-07-2006, 10:10 PM
G'day Brooksey,

Mate, you can get them at this time of year, but my advice is to wait till about October.

in the warmer months i would expect the little bronzies to be thick as flies on dead sheeps bum in your neck of the woods.

my prefered rig involves a live mullet 4-8 inches long hooked through the back on a 6-8/0 with only about a foot or so of nylon coated wire trace and a heavier nylon leader(40-100 pound, depending on size of fish) above that. Main line is up to you. Make it sporting w/ 6lb or bully them w/ 30lb, its up to you. simple rig.

now if you want to get really tricky, get yourself a largish syringe ( needle removed) and inject a bit of tuna oil up his back passage ( the mullet that is).

I be very surprised if youcould keep a livie with a quivering clacker safe for more than 15 mins when drowned in a deeper patch of water with a descent bit of tidal movement.

works for me when i am bored and nothing else to fish for and i have my bag limit of catfish and grinners.

hope this helps

deiter

brooksey
09-07-2006, 12:35 AM
hey thanks for the advice,

do you think floating bait or bottom fish it????

Deiter
10-07-2006, 06:39 PM
sink it.

lead size depends on the current, but just enough to hold him close to the bottom as a general rule.

also, one thing to remember when using livies is you can trim their tail so thay can only swim up or down. from memory, if you trim the top 'lobe'and he will swim down, trim the bottom and each beat of his tail will send him up.

let us all know how you go mate