PDA

View Full Version : Is there a season for Longtail?

Sea-Dog
07-07-2006, 10:02 PM
I only moved to Brisvegas last December.

Noticed a bit of activity with longtail tuna in the southern bay in the warmer months, but nothing recently.

Do they head for warmer pastures during winter or do they hang around all year?

Cheers, Sea-Dog.

Sea-Dog
10-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Sorry, was that too hard a question ????? #:-[

finding_time
10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
The answer is yes and no.

Summer they are more active but i certain area's in the bay you catch them all year round if you alter your technique.

There you go Sea_dog it wasn't a hard question at all. :)

Ian

Sea-Dog
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the reply Ian.

So by altering technique, do you mean not by sight fishing and slugs on the surface, but trolling or some other method?

Cheers, Sea-Dog

Fishin_Dan
11-07-2006, 05:13 PM
They seem to be available here all year around.. There have been a couple of reports in the last month or two of a couple caught.

They seem to have been feeding down the water column though rather than on the top, so casting slugs to feeding fish won't be as productive. However a livie sent out will have a bit more of a chance ;) Try on about 1-2m blow a ballon (Or condom - they biodegrate better), one near the bottom, and one about mid water. Then when you get hits on one, swap the others to the same depth.

On teh up side, you might get some snapper or cobia as a by-catch :)

Smailesy
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
sea dog i got a longtail 3 weeks ago i only got one and there were hundreds of them hiting the surface but i went out yesterday and i didnt see one bird no fish im fishing in the southern bay hit and miss

finding_time
11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Give the slugs away atm

Try livies either under ballons or slow trolled if you own a down rigger even better.
Troll a few mac baits may also put you onto fish.
A mate of mine has sucess all year round on fly but he's been doing it for years and is part longtail himself.

Area's

Eastern side of bribie, in the deep water 1km nw of curtain, and rainbow channel

I've never caught them in the rainbow but it one of the places my mate haunts.

Ian

cobiaman
12-07-2006, 04:04 PM
mate, they are round all year just more surface action over the summer months and deeper in the winter months, i caught this 21.5kg longtail last weekend near the bottom on a livie
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/tunaman_photos/tuna.jpg

finding_time
12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Very nice longtail Cobiaman!

Were you targeting them at the time or were you trying to get a Cobia at the Wr's and got lucky!

Ian

Smailesy
12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
mate, they are round all year just more surface action over the summer months and deeper in the winter months, i caught this 21.5kg longtail last weekend near the bottom on a livie
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/tunaman_photos/tuna.jpg

that is a impresive tuna

cobiaman
12-07-2006, 04:50 PM
i wont say where we were fishing but it was in the bay and generally the spot we go to we get a couple of hits on livies by either tuna or cobia so we were targeting both

cobiaman
12-07-2006, 04:55 PM
that was my biggest longtail so far :)

another pichttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/tunaman_photos/tuna1.jpg

Canoedle
12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Insert my standard tuna post. :P
DAMN, THAT'S A LOT OF SUSHI :o