PDA

View Full Version : Glow beads and Cylumn sticks

Nugget
21-06-2002, 03:34 AM
What do you think about glow beads and cylumn sticks used in rigs? - Can you say confidently that they improve results?
The problem I find is "proving" results.
I've experimented a lot with lumo beads and cylumn sticks and sometimes they appear to improve catches then the theory goes out the door with the next trip.
I'm convinced that lumo beads improve tailor catches in the surf at night - I've proved that to myself enough times to believe it.
I also believe they work in deep water offshore - why else would pro long liners use them?
The "Master Jig Builder" tells me about lumo hooks - I'd be sceptical (as I always am) because I hide the hook in the bait - I don't want the fish to see it - but maybe they give the bait an all over glow?

What's your thoughts and has anyone else tried lumo hooks?

Dave ><>

Dave ><>

CHRIS_aka_GWH
21-06-2002, 09:55 AM
dave,
never used any of them aside from glow beads on bait jigs so can't comment.
I'm interested in where you put them (glow beads) on the tailor rig. If on the trace, do you get more bite offs at the swivel when they fall back or do you secure them at the bait end somehow?
chris
ps does the lumo coating on hooks require you to sharpen up the tip.

Nugget
22-06-2002, 01:32 AM
I use the large soft rubbery glow bead right on top of the hook at the start of my wire trace.
I think a lot of it comes down to confidence in your rig.
If you're unsure then you tend to get confused results.
But after a few hot sessions where you've out fished everyone around you and you're the only one using beads you tent to build up a bit of confidence in the rig.

I've never seen or heard of lumo hooks before Steve mentioned them here.
I'd assume they are a coating on a standard style hook - probably not covering the point itself.
Perhaps Steve can elaborate.

Dave ><>

CHRIS_aka_GWH
22-06-2002, 06:23 AM
thanks dave,
this year I've been exclusively using flesh & have been tinkering with my terminal rig & strike technique. Its been an absorbing process & now I'm pleased to say I rarely miss a hit so something that will attract more hits is a bonus.
My latest tinker (I'm yet to try) is to use a single Gamakutsu 6/0 salt water fly hook. They have a thinner gauge but a 7766 type profile that should make them pretty robust. The reason I'm going to try them though is the point of the hook goes straight up parallel to the shank. my theory is this should present the point of the hook clear of the flesh a little better - time will tell & I'll try the beads.
thanks again,
chris

Master_Jig_Builder
25-06-2002, 04:43 PM
G'day Nugget and others.

Yep, hard to me an objective assessment #if you have never used lumo hooks, as opposed to lumo beads or cylume sticks.

Like the sceptical position Nugget and rightly so.

With regard to the other Q, the hook shaft and eye loop is lumo'ed, but not the tip so there is no need to sharpen the hook other than the usual file being passed over them when needed.

FYI, our research to date via a range of client feedback indicates that the closer the lumo glow field to the bait the better the results whether that be on lures, baitfish profile casting lures, or deep water jigs.

This includes dead baits and or soft plastics being placed over the lumo field.

Also more economical and eco friendly given that lumo cylume sticks often get discarded randomly including on land and/or explode in deep water discharging their contents.

clutter
26-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Dave and others,

I fish outside and am a member of a local Brisbane fishing club. I always use beads and have always found them to go well, also act as a bit of a buffer for the knot when using a 10 ball on a floater.

With regard to the sticks, on a trip outside with one of the club members he tried attaching a stick to his main line about 12 inches above the hook, each time he used one (three attempts until he ran out of sticks) he was bitten off. This got me thinking a bit and I decided to try fitting one to the middle hook of a gang of three 7766's thinking that if I got hit it would take the hook. I use 4x37mm sticks from K Mart in a pack of five, you'll have to get clear tubing from the hardware store, 8mm I think.

It took quite a while before I got out again to try this idea but I finally had my chance. We had been fishing at Deep Tempest in about 75 meters of water when my skip decided to have a go at the 90 meter ground. I tied on one of my experimental rigs and sent her down. I was free spooling down when the line stopped pulling off the reel. I knew I was nowhere near the bottom so I started winding and found that something had taken the lot without the slightest hint of it. I tied on another experimental and we did another drift over the same patch.

This time it got down to where I wanted it, nothing happening, rod in holder time for a snack. Turn my back and bang off she goes. I'd hooked onto something pretty big and some 30 or so minutes later and a few k's of motoring up came a bloody huge cod. It measured over 5 feet long and according to Ern "God of Fishes" Grant,(he wrote the bible didn't he) would have weighed in excess of 200lb. We got a couple of photos (poor quality unfortunately) and swam her for a while and sent her back home. The pilly I used was the smallest by far of the day and I guess I've got to say it worked. Haven't been out hardly since. I'll try to attach the photos if you want to have a look. If not, I'll see if I can get them into the gallery. The blood on the fish is from where we let the swim bladder down.

Clutter

Master_Jig_Builder
26-07-2002, 01:43 PM
Nugget and others with an interest in this topic.

Had a call from Bill Corten the other day and as a result of chat, he is now giving his lumo head jigs, and seperate re-usable lumo hooks, a run under a range of conditions.

Will keep you posted on how he does with them.

Maverick
26-07-2002, 02:39 PM
You've won me Clutter ;D ;D ;D !!!!

Master_Jig_Builder
07-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Just a brief update on the debate. Recieved an e-mail from a charter boat owner in Alaska. I sent him a few lumo 20/0 circle hooks with an order about 2 months ago.

Tells me his lumo hooks are outgunning standard strips baits and circle hooks 5 to 1.

Wonder how these circles would go for marlin? Might take a few to Samoa and strap them on a trolling live or dead bait.

SURF_SNIPER
10-06-2006, 04:09 PM
whoa!!, Blast from the Past, one of the first few post on Ausfish( Rainy day syndrome ::) )

so has anyone got any more info on these lumo hooks/ anymore info regarding their effectiveness????

Chris, i know your keen still on the salt water fly hook, what do you make of the beads now? are you still using them., reckon they make a difference on the tailor??

Drew

Blackened
10-06-2006, 10:27 PM
G'day
Great story there clutter. I have been using the shogun glow beads on the trace of my inshore reef rig. It's usually fished at green island above a 5/0 gamagatsu octopus circle. I have to say my hit rate has improved with this addition. Will be taking a few outside when i go out next.
Dave

charleville
11-06-2006, 01:13 AM
........given that lumo cylume sticks often get discarded randomly including on land and/or explode in deep water discharging their contents.

I have been using the beads recently since I heard Webby say at his presentation at the Tackle & Tinnie show that he uses them and my evening catches have been OK lately.

However, I am concerned about the environmental impact of the cyclume sticks' contents in the water.

Viz, if fifty anglers on a jetty at say Woody Point are using these things every night and discarding them over the side, does that add up to a major environmental/health problem after say six months.

I mention Woody Point in this regard because i did see a few anglers using the sticks on floats ther one night recently. It was my first time there and there were lots of people fishing there.

Does anyone know what is in these things. Are the contents dangerous?

shayned
13-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Bump

finding_time
13-07-2006, 12:26 PM
I realize this is an old thread but you might find this interesting Nugget ,years ago while diving at curtain on a particularly low visability day my eye was attracted to this little spot right at the edge of my vision upon investigation i realized two things. 1. It was a lot further away than it appeared amazing really considering the conditions 2. it was surrounded in fish, they were all hanging around it even though it was an old rig and had been in the water for quite some time.

I have used glow beads ever since! ;)

Ian

bidkev
14-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Yes, I use glow beads and the vermin just love 'em ;D

Last session at the pin I was fishing for bream at the tip of crusoe using glow beads directly above the pilly. The bites were fast and every miss resulted in a rebait of pilly. I could guarantee that a missed bite would result in an empty hook but what I could also guarantee (at one session) was that I would get hit at least 50% of the time when I was winding in. These were small or just takeable choppers that were hitting the beaded hook on the way up from the bottom........Must've scored about thirty of the little buggers before the dolphins cleared 'em off.

With regards to the coated hooks. I was going through the rummage bin at the tackle store at karrara market and picked up some of these hooks which were packaged in japanese. The green flouro covers the shank of the hook to about halfway down and the leader is embedded into it. I haven't looked to see how the leader is actually attached to the hook but after a few uses I found the shanks of the hooks snapping when being removed from the fish. they were about size 1's and I had my best bream session using them. I only got the one packet and I haven't seen 'em sold anywhere else.

I also bought some strange setups (they were only 50c a pack and I thought I could salvage the quality hooks off 'em). One pack has 2/0 hooks tied to about 6cm of dacron (the type used on jig hooks) which in turn is to slightly longer stainless wire. I found this strange as I thought the wire would be at the hook if aiming at toothy critters. Anybody know what this rig would be used for?

kev

Hornblower
16-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Sold me on the Glow beads for the tailor - will give them a go and see what happens.

Cheers

;) ;)

young_mind
16-07-2006, 04:09 PM
:)yesterday went out from seaway I got size 12 glow bead and give #pilly a go on 2x 3 gangs on one line with BK charter plenty of chopper.
One without bead and other has bead on :o most bang on glow bead it surprised me now I know the secret #;D all up taken home about 50 other 50 threw back.
We had fun on rough sea but manage to enjoyed the day