PDA

View Full Version : Mud Crabs during winter

Louis
17-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I was always of the opinion that during winter it was pretty much a waste of time to chase mud crabs.

Yet recently, I caught a nice muddy on my fishing line whilst fishing, and it seems many of the anglers I have run into are still catching them in their pots.

Any ideas?

Louis

tiny_tinny
17-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't know about muddies, but I got a large, full sandie in the Brisbane River a couple of weeks back. Plus I noticed them in a shop last week, so the pros are still getting a few. Maybe the old story about only catching crabs if there is an "R" in the month is an old fisherman's tale.

Mike

Got_the_Fever
17-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Louis a lot of ppl are reporting catching muddies in pots during the winter. I dont understand it either, it is true that winter was a time the muddies and sandies went off and you never heard of them being caught. But then again we dont have really cold winters like we used to either so maybe they cant tell that they arent supposed to be around.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

ssab1
17-07-2006, 06:00 PM
not as many around in winter(Brisbane area) but the ones you do get are normally full!!!!!! August is usually good in a side creek just before a big bridge to the north enough said good crabbing.cheers alex

land_based
17-07-2006, 06:12 PM
There are some creeks around that produce quality all year round.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
17-07-2006, 09:48 PM
In CQ the pros crab all year round. What does that tell us?

Cheers
Dave

Tony_N
18-07-2006, 06:49 AM
A similar thread has been up before. #I think the concensus was that the further south you go, the colder the water is likely to be in the rivers and creeks. #It seems its the cold water that slows them down. #Slower metabolism means less need to eat which means less catches you get in winter the further south you go.

I haven't been crabbing for ages, but I got my limit in 2 hours in Ballina in late May (no "r"). #That was before the cold set in

FWIW

Tony

GAFYM
18-07-2006, 07:48 PM
You will still get muddies all year round but the usual problem is having any meat in them. (More empty than not and soft shell)

Sandies are still around in good numbers but go deep (over 50ft) for the good ones now.
Out between the measured mile beacons in Moreton B. and Amity is my best spot.
Although the Pro boats and Turtles can be a problem.

frenzy
18-07-2006, 08:46 PM
i had the best week mudcrabbing in may ,30 full bucks in a week between 3 blokes
after some good rain, down ballina way