PDA

View Full Version : help needed to fish the brisbane river

coyote3
21-07-2006, 09:00 PM
hey guys .. as you may have noticed the price of fuel isnt getting any lower so i am thinking about fishing closer to home (the brisbane river) however dont know a thing about which spiecies to target, where to launch, and which soft plastics and lures to use.. my equipment is a 3.8 stacer 25hp yamaha with a bow mount electric humminbird matrix 15 with gps. im7 graphite rods with soft plastics and troll hard bodied lures.live in ipswich.. any help would be appreciated..thanks.

younstar
21-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Mate plastics arnt the go unless ur tracking out to pinkinbar or near by but if ur looking for some good spots give moggil ferry a go and also indro bridge u get it all round there cod,flatties,bream,whiting,threadfin(at night) and my favourite a catty lol. any way go give mullet a go and prawns keep producing good results if u have a cast net grab some potty mullet and go for nsomthing big any way sorry i couldnt help u more

Youngstar

Hornblower
21-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Sorry mate, Haven't caught my first fish yet on SP's so I'm no help at all. But the Sunken wall at Pinkenba is good for bream, I fish it with bait, so I don't see why SP's shouldn't work. Look up the Fisherman Isdlands Boat Ramp, it is just across the river from there, not much fuel to burn.

Hope that helps a little bit anyway ;) ;)

coyote3
22-07-2006, 12:21 PM
thanks guys ..
so with 60 members looking and only two replies i take it from that there is not much support for the mighty brissassippi. not to worry i just thought i would throw it up and see the response.
once again thanks for the replies..
THE MOGGIL FERRY(i would be washing my boat for a week)LOL.

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi mate,

I fish Bris Vegas river alot.

Gateway Bridge, against Northern Pylon at night, Near the old Fort Lytton wharf, thats the one almost opposite the Pinkenba Ramp, the wharf thats cut in half so you cant walk out on it - good bream here
fish light and night is better 2 hours either side of a high tide

feel free to PM me if you like, i dont mind someone following me out for a fish... i always put in at Colmslie, better ramp and facilities

Mike

jim_bream
22-07-2006, 03:48 PM
coyote:
I've tried under the Goodwill Bridge with nothing much to write home about- I've heard that the sunken wall has been producing recently.
lat=-27.398E, lon=153.149S - Somewhere round there anyway...
(A mate who works at Caltex refinery said some of the tanker crews pack rods for brisbane trips cos the fishing's so good in the river. They fuel up ships- a 6 to 10 hr job- and fish while it fills up.)
Berleying 2 hours before change of tide to start things off - a little often.
Have a look at www.brisbaneriverclassic.com.au there are some big nasties cruising around...
jim

jim_bream
22-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Oops, that should be 27 23'54.58" S & 153 08'58.15" E
my bad

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 04:46 PM
somewhere in here someone kindly posted a google map of the sunken wall.... just cant remember wher in the forum it is........ :-X

Mike

Adamy
22-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Hey Jim Bream - what format are you using for the GPS mark?? mine uses 27.35.492South, 153.18.275East (oh dont bother using that mark for fishing - its my house - no fish here ;D ;D not even in the freezer ;) So... how do I translate your format into something mine can use?.... sorry I'm such a GPS newbie ::)

Thanks

tiny_tinny
22-07-2006, 10:03 PM
These might be them

Mike

tiny_tinny
22-07-2006, 10:04 PM
and again......

flairj
27-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm with you on the petrol thing... I live near moggill and have had to give up the expensive drives up or down the coast. So I've been looking to the Brissie.
I searched alot of water from figtree pocket all the way up to karana downs in the boat and a lot of it looks like mud banks the only thing I did see were a few whalers near the Bremer. So I tried the sunken wall at Pinkenba last week and caught a few decent bream on SP's and a bycatch of two 55-60cm flathead. Didn't have the gear to do deep jigging near some of drop offs near the mouth where we saw a lot on the sounder.
I'll fish the mouth again but I would like to hear of some lure hotspots from Toowong up.