PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Westernport

scarpenter4
24-07-2002, 04:58 PM
i fish westernport bay regulary and was wondering if any other anglers would like to post some info about this bay, what species it provides, what techniques u may use just to get some info an a different view on fishing this bay

dudley
25-07-2002, 04:09 PM
I fish westernport regularly, and have done for years.I assume you are fishing out of a boat.I have caught, salmon,big cuda, gummys, elephant shark,snapper,whiting, tailor,big pike, 7 gill and mako sharks, plus the assortment of rubbish fish.Best time to fish is on a low to high change, or you will be using 16oz + of lead.
The rig i use for the larger fish is a running sinker (4/6 oz) attached to a line clip, and feed it out for about 20m,on 30lb braid. For the whiting, i use a fixed rig, with a 60cm leader,size 5 chem. sharp hook + 2 red beads,using 6/8 lb mono.
Get Paul Worstelling's book on westernport. Kmart ($14) and map as they are very good, if you haven't got one already.Otherwise go and see Paul at Cranny tackle, who i know well, and doesn't mind sharing info.
hope this helps. If you need more ,just email me.
Good luck

scarpenter4
25-07-2002, 05:26 PM
actually i havent got a boat but am getting 1 soon, i fish off tankerton jetty french island non stop when the weather is good and it provides a number of gr8 species.i think it might fall down some time soon though

mr_fisho
25-07-2002, 05:34 PM
HEY FELLAS

I FISH TANKERTON ALL THE TIME AND I'VE HERD THAT I KID CALLED SHAYNE SOMEONE KNOWS THAT JETTY BACK TO FRONT SO IF YOU WANT INFO CONTACT HIM http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm15.gif

mr_fisho
25-07-2002, 05:38 PM
BACK AGAIN

I ALSO FISH WESTERN PORT OUT OF A 15 FOOT CENTER CONSOLE. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS EVER FISHED FOR BLUE TREVELLA, THEY ARE LIKE TREVALLY BUT FIGHT EVEN BETTER AND TASTE GREAT. BUT THEIR IS A SECRETE TO CATCHING THEM http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm44.gif

dudley
27-07-2002, 01:01 PM
From the bank, there is a place called stockyard point. This is just past the Lang Lang jetty, off Jan Jerrup road. It can ONLY be fished at low tide, and it is about 1.5 km walk. When you get there, you can see the channels about 60m out. I have been lucky to catch elephant shark to 5kg, gummys to 1.5m long, along with salmon etc, and on two occasions, have landed 7 gill sharks. The other spot i fish is the rock platform, to the left of Corinella jetty. This spot can be hit or miss, but when they are on, it is well worth the effort.Both spots need around 10kg casting outfits.
Good Luck,
Dudley

shayned
18-09-2006, 02:03 PM
You could also try fishnet for comprehensive info on wp.