PDA

View Full Version : GPS

Brian
26-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Ok,

I've heard alot about these things and one bloke in the club uses it all the time.

What i was wondering is what is a good brand GPS my fishing is mainly freshwater and estuary. I think the one the bloke in the club has is a Garmin and is a hand held although its sits in a cradle in his boat.

Any assistance would be great thanks.

Brian

Smithy
26-03-2002, 05:29 PM
Don't get sucked into anything else but a Lowrance/Eagle if you want a handheld. I have an Eagle Explorer but I had used Garmin126 which the other bloke upgraded to a 128. There is no comparison between the two. The Lowrance made one eats the Garmin. The Garmin 126/128 are the dash mount units with the same basic program as is running in the Garmin 45/12/12XL handhelds.

Wesley_Pang
26-03-2002, 07:18 PM
Brian,

I've got a handheld Garmin GPS 12 that sits in a cradle on the boat. I can not compare it with other GPS, but I'm happy with it, though I don't do too much fancy stuff with it.

I usually entry a few waypoint in from a nautical map, before I head out. I use it to get an acurate reading of my speed, useful when the going gets rough, and to calculate how long it will take to get to the next waypoint.

I don't do bottom bashing but a GPS would be deadly to mark a favourite spot.

I think a GPS is a useful tool. It is a great help when you are in a unfamiliar area. A good map is a must. I found it a very helpful when we fished the maze that is Hinchenbrook Channel.

Smithy got me on to the Oziexplorer software, to enter and store waypoints. Getting a PC interface is good idea to save your waypoints.

Wes

Jack_Lives_Here
27-03-2002, 04:01 AM
Yeh got the same set up as Wes (Garmin GPS 12). Cradle on the dash of the console and one in the car - stops you getting "geographically embarassed" that's for sure. ;D ;D
Saved my butt at Hinchinbrook also. Herbert River, just after dark with the water draining rather quickly. We took a "shortcut" - bad move. Mozzies, sandflies and snappin handbags - all added to the adventure. We were able to follow the track back out through deeper water and avoid all the sand bars - sort of. Shep didn't find it amusing at all. Big girl. ;D ;D

All the best
Dave

adrian
27-03-2002, 03:02 PM
hi brian

I have a garmin gps 12 plus works well . i am using mine for navagating my way around se queensland waterways . the backtrack is a lifesaver as is the battery saver mode . a gps shines in unknown areas as you can see where you've been . i've marked beacons in morton bay and on more than one occassion it was the gps that brought me home in the night or in a rain storm when all you see is grey.
i have compared mine with a lowrance model and have to say that mine was easier to use as we swapped units and tried to enter way points .

anzac

Lucky_Phill
27-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Hey Brian, My 2 cents worth is Garmin. I haven't used a handheld as I usually use the plotter page offshore, and need the larger page for easier reading. I have the older 120 with remote antenna. I now use this in my 14ft tinnie. I have to say that it is deadset easy to use, although it takes a little longer these days to pick up the satelites. The 128 is by far a better receptive unit tracking 12 satelites and using up to 8.

Garmin are a world wide company with loads of back up. The accuracy these days is good. I have myself, used the plotter / tracklog to great effect on black nights in the bay. Not only this , but it gives you, speed and tracks distance which will enable you to calculate fuel usage. Tells you the time, sunrise / set. Date and if you want to dig deeper will even give you next weeks Lotto numbers ;D

It's good that you are doing a little research. These things are not cheap. You'll be paying around $600 for a dashmount youbeaut model, and the handhelds ? Don't forget, these units have batteries and they last for about 5 to 10 years, so all your GPS Marks should be transfered to hard copy every now and again. Figure out if you NEED one, and then check your budget. 8)

webby
27-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Hi, Mine is a magellan 4000xl, dash mounted, with a adaptor
to the batteries on my boat, ive hadit for awhile now, and
cannot fault it, my fishing environment is mainly bay or
offshore, it has all the features, and as anzac said great
for finding your way around on dark nights especially in the
bay where there are a meriad of lights flashing., i beleive
they are a great safety device if fishing in open waters.
it depends on what sort of money you want to spend.
most of the manafacturers have website, have a look
and then decide checkout some of these sites
www.lowrance.com.au
www.navman.com.au
www.tmq.com.au
www.eaglesonar.com.au
www.magellannc.com.au
www.oceantalk.com.au
regards
regards

Jack_Lives_Here
28-03-2002, 09:09 AM
Made on a blue on the earlier post. Mine is the GPS II Plus, so I've just found out.

Dave

Brian
07-04-2002, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the feed back will follow up a bit more. Hopefully i can check them out at this months tinnie and tackle show in Bris. :))

Brian

aussiebasser
07-04-2002, 06:24 PM
G'day Brian, I'm not to sure on brands or anything, but I fished Moogerah at Christmas time in a mate's boat and he had one. Mighta been a Navman. Screen about the size of an X51. Great for trolling our impoundments. It just kept drawing a line on the screen where we'd been, and I kept punching a button that left a dot, every time we crossed the river bed. After a coupla hours, we had a perfect track of the river bed, including the S bend where the fish hold up. Reckon I might have to get myself one soon too. Could put in the river beds for all the impoundments, and have a ball with the downrigger. Can't figure out how we ever caught fish when we were young uns.

Brian
10-04-2002, 10:08 AM
Dale maybe we could team up get two at a cheaper price ;D ;D

Brian

aquarius
15-04-2002, 06:57 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm29.gif Hi Brian.....Ive had my Eagle Veiw GPS now for 6 or 7 years.....mate its as big as a sounder and has features easy to read....Don't like the size of those small screens.......you imagine boating in rough conditions at night trying to read one of those small screens !!
My fishing buddy just purchased a secondhand garmin 3000xl......works ok but only tracks 6 satellites.
As the guys have said the internal battery only lasts for 10 years so make sure you back up all those favourite fishing hot spots .
Cheers Brent

SeanCasey
23-04-2002, 06:33 PM
I have a garmin 12. Only got it about 3 weeks ago and learned how to use it in about 1 hour. Spend a bit of time learning and you wont waste your money. By the way where do I get a cradle you all keep talking about.....it's my only complaint! :)