PDA

View Full Version : Fish finders - Eagle or Lowrance

reelcrazy
04-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Can anyone advise?

A little while back I asked about portable fish finders, and I think it was Luke who suggested the Lowrance X51.

I've now got the bucks to move ahead, but want to ask is there is any real difference between the Eagle FishEasy 2 and the Lowrance X51, aside from the dollars of course.

The Eagle has the edge on the power, but the Lowrance talks about more "features". The displays are the same size.

Is it true they are made by the same company.

I know I'm opening a can of worms, but which is the better finder, or is there some other brand?

Since I hire boats portability was my initial criteria, but I've found a good suggestion in mounting the transducer onto a long piece of 100 x 25 and clamping it to the transom, so its not a real issue any more.

Anyone that can help, be most appreciative.

Thanks Tom

Luke
04-05-2002, 06:40 AM
Sorry Reelcrazy,
No it wasn't me. I've got a Humminbird ;D Don't know much about the other ones at all really still trying to learn mine. :D
Cheers Luke

aquarius
04-05-2002, 07:45 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm27.gif Hi Reelcrazy...I have an eagle sounder...not bad but they reckon lowrance is better....Mate check out the new top of the range humminbird piranha...excellent value for money!!
I'm pretty sure they make a portable model. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif Cheers #Brent

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-05-2002, 10:10 AM
Tom,
I've had a bottom of the range Eagle sounder for at least six years maybe more (since the first Gold Coast Flathead Classic) & its still going strong. Eagle are a subsidary of Lowrance & from what I've seen on the web pages for both the FishEasy 2 (Eagle) & the Lowrance X51 are basically the same unit. Difference in price may be related to the quality of componentry & the composition & complexity of the casings or where they are made. Only someone intimate with the company might be able to answer that one.
I'm looking for a more capable sounder myself now & from my experience with the Eagle, I'll be going with a Lowrance product (this includes Eagle).
I saw the X51 in action (display mode) at the Tackle & Tinnie expo & the 160x240 pixel screen has a clarity that leaves some of the bigger sounders behind. I've got prices from $350-$369 for it, which seems to be excellent value for a very capable, compact unit.
How much is the Eagle FishEasy2?
If its cheaper than that & can give the trouble free life of my old Eagle, the choice is obvious.
Also, if you choose a portable with a suction cap for the transducer, make sure you tie it off to the outside corner of your boat with a length of chord that won't reach your prop. My brother-in-law lost his transducer to the Yamaha God when his suction cap released & he didn't have it tied off.
chris

aussiebasser
04-05-2002, 12:37 PM
I would suggest that the main difference is back up service. You can only buy Lowrance from reasonable dealers. You can buy an Eagle in Kmart. Not that you are likely to need any warranty help, but it would be nicer to deal with someone who knows his stuff, rather than a kid who just got promoted from men's underwear.
They are both a great sounder, but I think I'd go for the X51.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
06-05-2002, 04:40 AM
Tom,
I did some reading last night on the net cause the sky was leaking & Micheal Caine movies http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm33.gif...
The difference between the Eagle Fisheasy2 & the Lowrance X51 seems to be the Lowrance comes with a temp. sensing probe as standard, the Eagle only has it as an extra option. Also the Lowrance has something called FasTrack
"FasTrack™
A selectable on/off feature, FasTrack™ displays flasher-style sonar returns in a narrow vertical column at the far right of the sonar screen. Especially useful for ice fishing or fishing at anchor, FasTrack™ is a standard feature on all Lowrance sonar units for 2001."

which according to the blurb gives instantaneous depth reading (maybe a faster processor), the Eagle does not mention this. All other functions appear the same with both featuring all the other trademarked Lowrance functions. Back up service is the same with authorised repairers for Lowrance doing the Eagle work. My theory is that the Eagle brand is all about market penetration allowing a slightly cheaper unit that can be sold in locations (ie KMart etc) without legally compromising the local Lowrance dealers established region. I reckon I'll be going the Lowrance cause the temp sensor is definitely an advantage for pelagics, I'm yet to encounter an ice flow around the pin but I'll have the goods when I do.
chris

reelcrazy
06-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Hey Folks

Just when I thought I'd had it narrowed, along comes a googly, Hummingbird have this nice little unit.

The Piranha 4 portable, nice compact unit, portable. Wrote them an email about battery life, about 40 - 50 hours.

http://www.humminbird.com/hb_Products.asp?id=229

Question is for this fish finder turnip, is Hummingbird a good brand? Is the Piranha a good unit?

Tom

Fitzy
07-05-2002, 04:25 AM
If you want top info then save the biccies & get a Zercom LPG 2000. 320 vertical pixels, infinate gain/sensitivity on one easy knob (don't have to hit 30 buttons to adjust things) & the RTS (real time sonar) is awesome.
This Fast Trac that Lowrance is coming out with, which is basically the old flasher system that was the predecessor of sounders, is an attempt at "catchin up" to the Zercoms RTS.
I need reliable information from a reliable unit, the Zercoms give me that.
Had a fish with a mate in his boat the other day & had to put up with an x29. Drove me crazy looking at all these leggo blocks on the screen. Couldn't tell fish from weed or mud from rock. It was good to tell you how deep it is tho. ::) :P

Cheers,

Fitzy..

reelcrazy
09-05-2002, 04:13 AM
If you want top info then save the biccies & get a Zercom LPG 2000. 320 vertical pixels, infinate gain/sensitivity on one easy knob (don't have to hit 30 buttons to adjust things) & the RTS (real time sonar) is awesome.
This Fast Trac that Lowrance is coming out with, which is basically the old flasher system that was the predecessor of sounders, is an attempt at "catchin up" to the Zercoms RTS.
I need reliable information from a reliable unit, the Zercoms give me that.
Had a fish with a mate in his boat the other day & had to put up with an x29. Drove me crazy looking at all these leggo blocks on the screen. Couldn't tell fish from weed or mud from rock. It was good to tell you how deep it is tho. ::) #:P

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Thanks for the heads up on this, but the Zercom is really getting out of my price range, particularly when I'm going to be using it 4 or 5 times a month.

Maybe when I can afford my own boat I'll step up, c'mon lotto...

Thanks for all the advice fella's, you comments are most appreciated, but I think I'm going to get the Piranha 4 portable, it may not be the best, but its in my price range, and everythings there, the fish are another story of course.