PDA

View Full Version : Marine Radios - Recommendations?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-05-2002, 07:31 AM
morning all,
can anyone recommend a brand & model of marine radio (2 way) for use in a 16ft open tinnie. It would have to be splash proof I guess & have a range suitable for intended use on the Gold Coast reefs & those off North Straddie & Moreton. I have never purchased one before, are they easy to fit yourself or best fitted professionally?
I would appreciate any advice or experiences you have to offer.
chris

webby
05-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Hi Chris. #I do a lot of offshore boating myself, and i have
a GME #gx294 marine transceiver, water resistant casing
dual watch for ch 88 /channel 88 recall/. i have had no trubs
with it and depending on atmospherics, can usally reach
most Vmr stations. # Installations is quite simple, come with
all instructions.. # Dont know if u have a aerial already on the
boat, you will also have to get one if you dont. #If u do
you might have to get it tuned. gme have a good range of
antennas to suit all their radios.
hope this helps
regards

Heath
11-05-2002, 05:06 PM
The GME is the way to go. maybe think about using the larger arial. You definatly get better coverage with it.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
12-05-2002, 03:21 AM
thanks for the feedback gents,
chris

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2002, 12:46 PM
With that aerial, go for the dual one. Picks up 27 meg and Am/Fm. So you can listen to the Bronc's open a can of whoop arse on their opponents. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kerry
13-05-2002, 11:34 AM
The longer the aerial the better (generally) and keep it simple on it's own dedicated aerial.

Cheers, Kerry.

SeanCasey
14-05-2002, 05:39 PM
I don't know much about them, I have a GME VHF in my 16ft tinnie and its great. Got a feeling I got ripped off by the salesman though, said a 27mg was no good except in the Broadwater......is this true? How do you get the broncos on VHF?? What Channel?? ???

stevedemon
14-05-2002, 09:12 PM
hi guys
Chris I have found the sea-dolphin to be pretty good as well as water resistance but in an open tinny I think you had better make a glove compartment just to be on the safe side nothing worst than going to use radio and it don't work because you got swamped as for Sean I think the Saleman caught you hook line an sinker the sea-dolphin works from any where.
now I'll start something here lucy-phil are you feeling lucky go the Mighty BLUES and the WESTERN-TIGERS the Ponies are going for a fall.

Kerry
15-05-2002, 04:17 AM
I don't know much about them, I have a GME VHF in my 16ft tinnie and its great. Got a feeling I got ripped off by the salesman though, said a 27mg was no good except in the Broadwater......is this true? How do you get the broncos on VHF?? What Channel?? ???

On any given day that's possible, somedays local reception might be RS but clear as a bell from the other side of the country, a bit hit and miss and usually a lot of clutter and chatter. That's something one doesn't need in a critical situation or even general everyday communication for that matter.

Stick with your VHF, not sure if you got ripped off (as such) but certainly done you a favor.

VHF and the Bronco's #;) #:o won't happen #::) that's the reason one goes boating/fishing #8) to get away from all that stuff :P. #

Stick with your VHF, a sign of the times #;D

Cheers, Kerry.

mossy43
30-05-2002, 02:05 AM
I am the same as you Kerry the VHF is the way to go and one thing that has not been mentioned is the VHF radios do have repeaters all up and down the coast so it does not matter where you are you will always be able to contact a marine base somewhere. Unfortunately the 27 Meg radios do not have this facility. By the way Phil you’re a man after my own heart “up the bronc’s”. Even the fish up here know not to bite while the bronc’s are playing. Mossy;D ;D ;D ;D

SeanCasey
02-06-2002, 07:45 PM
Go the Broncoes........oh, and for the sensors, ummmm........yeah marine radios are good!!!