PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE ON FISHFINDERS

old_fisho
22-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Would like some helpfull advice on which one to get im looking at a GARMIN FF24O,HUMMINBIRD 350TX,LOWRANCEX71. As i have sat back and read all the comments about the lowrance in a previous posting but i would like a honest opinion from fishos who have used one of the above. And can some one tell me the difference on the U.S.A 300 HUMMINBIRD and the AUSSIE 350 model ??? As the finder that i buy will be used fresh and salt water .
Thanks for reading
Perry.

davo
22-02-2003, 05:56 PM
I've got the Garmin 240 on my new boat and it is excellent. Go to the Queensland Fishing Monthly site and they have shots of various sounders in operation including the Garmin. It's early days yet because it takes a while to get use to a new sounder but I can pick the barra from the smaller fish in the impoundments as well as small rubble on the bottom in the bay. My prior sounder was 6 inch colour unit and with the Garmin I don't feel that I've come down a level. If it's half as reliable as my GPS I'll be happy

Heath
22-02-2003, 06:20 PM
I find it interesting that you have mentioned the X71 against the other sounders. Lowrance have just released their 2003 range. I've got the X88DF, 320x320 pixels, 5 inch screen.
Fantastic sounder. If you don't require a dual freq transducer there is the X87 same specs except only 200khz transducer.

You can get a feel for the new Lowrance models by downloading the simulators. Excellent for getting to know your way around a sounder.

My mate has a Garmin 240 Blue. Had a warranty claim in for the last 6 weeks :o :o, only got a replacment yesterday after he really got the shits with them on the phone. They told him it would be March before they got any stock for warranty claims::) ::)

old_fisho
22-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Gidday Heath, Your mate that had the prob with the 240 what sort of prob was it do you know ? Not htat im leaning towards themjust would like to know the prob that fish finders have weather it be serious or not. As this will be my first one. Dont want to make a big mistake as boss lady will kill me!
Perry.

Heath
23-02-2003, 11:43 AM
He had a prob with that the sounder would just stop & lock up. when you put your hand anywhere near the sounder a loud screach would come through the radio. He managed to get a new one on Thursday. Tied it today, it don't work either!!!! Now he is gunna pull the tranducer out & send the WHOLE let back. :'(

clutter
23-02-2003, 04:13 PM
I've got an X71 and have found it very good. Easy to use and I like the screen size. Any questions just give us a yell.

Clutter.

old_fisho
25-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Heath,Davo & Cutter,
So both of you have had no problems with your finders. Still trying to decide which one, a mate has thrown a new one in , it is a Navmans i no nothing about them but he swears by it. So have any of you had much about them are they just a through away item if you try to get them fixed if you know what i mean. No body has remarked about the Humminbird range are they not that reliable or do they just stay away from them???? If anyone can enlighten me about them that would be great.
Perry.

banshee
25-02-2003, 04:46 PM
G,day Fisho,all the sounders you have listed are throw away units.What you must determin is which company will best serve you in the event of a warranty claim.It is my belief that none of the current line of sounders mentioned here can handle Australian conditions,I would be interested to know how Heaths new Lowrance goes.The cheapest sounder that I know of that is repairable to a componet is the J.R.C. FF 50. I have to disagree with Davo,I have a 6.5 inch colour unit and it makes every thing else I've seen look like they've fallen out of a corn flakes box.