PDA

View Full Version : Sounder for the Canoe?

SteveCan
21-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting a portable sounder to fit in my Canoe (otherwise the canoe won't make it to the M&G in Nov!)

The budget is very much at the lower end of the scale at the moment. I have a Lowrance X65 sounder in my boat - should I look at getting another transducer and using it? Or would I be better off with a seperate rig?

Any advice on settign this sort of thing up (or any good reading you can reccomend) would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve.

stevo
21-10-2003, 04:10 PM
hey i don't know if this is the right price for you but i picked up a broucher on this unit not long ago. it's called the Smartcast wireless fishfinder, model RF10 . it's got a mobile station & a remote sonar sensor. you keep the screen with you and attach the sensor to your line for example while in canoe and just cast out and retrieve line as normal and read the screen as you wind back in. it says it has a range of 33m (100ft) radius including depth. it looked alright to me although haven't heard anymore about them. just another idea to think about.
# # # #all the best [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] ;D ??? #

the sensor is about the size of an egg and can also attach a line to it and place a hook or lure from it so you don't waste a cast. i think it was around $350-400

stevo
22-10-2003, 11:48 AM
i forget to post a picture,so here you go.

SteveCan
23-10-2003, 02:25 AM
Hi Stevo - I checked out that product and it looks the bomb for landbased fishoes who are keen to see what's out there. I will be looking for a more conventional set-up on the Canoe.

Thanks for your idea - I had never seen that product before.

Cheers
Steve.

Big_Muddie
23-10-2003, 04:06 AM
Steve,

You can get a similar setup for a canoe - 12 battery pack to power the sounder (looks like the sounder in the pic) plus a normal transducer. Not sure but I think Humminbird have them - maybe other brands too. very lightweight and portable.

davo
30-10-2003, 03:46 PM
I went down this track when I bought my 12 punt. I had a Garmin FF240 and thought about buying spare transducers etc... In stead for an extra $30 I got a complete Garmin FF80 and spare mount for the FF240 so I can use either. If you have Lowrance stuff check it out. My reason to go this way was that if the better sounder was needed on the punt I could swap or if one unit failed I had a spare to keep going. As it stands the little Garmin FF80 is very good for it class.