PDA

View Full Version : lowrance v navman

bigbrian47
28-10-2003, 04:13 PM
gentlemen am in the market for a chartplotter after years of using handheld with cig lighter lead @ happy with it. Im looking at lowrance3200 @ navman 5100 as these appear to be sufficient for my needs does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of either unit pros @ cons i have lowrance sounder so only looking at a chartplotter any input appreciated cheers brian :-/ :- PS or any other similar unit features@ price

Reefmaster
28-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Gday bigbrian47
we use Garmin colour gps.Garmin use there own mapping system (blue chart) but most other gps use C-MAP. Many people have different opinions about them using Blue Maps but we have found them to be alot more detailed then C-MAPS check a unit with C-MAP and a Garmin and decide for yourself. Iam told rescue planes and helicopter's use Garmin as well. The Garmin has everything you can think of.colour $2100 black and white $1600 go and check it out

clutter
28-10-2003, 06:52 PM
If you're interested in the Lowrance 3200 have a look at the Eagle Intellimap 320 as well. Its the same unit as the Lowrance, same warranty and features. Only difference is its about $250 cheaper.

Cheers,

Clutter

bigbrian47
29-10-2003, 02:15 AM
CLUTTER i should have thought of that thanks. REEFMASTER which model garmin thanks cheers brian

Streaker
29-10-2003, 03:42 AM
I own a navman 5100i and I am more than happy with it's features.I purchased the C-map from Tweed heads to the Whitsundays cost about $1400 all up. The only regret was lack of money at the time ??? i wish I would of got colour.
WAyne

opimax
29-10-2003, 04:06 AM
giday i have navman 5100 & c-map top unit easy to use about $1000 & c-map &400 as wayne said colour would have been better. lee

whiteman
29-10-2003, 11:32 AM
I have been in a boat with the Navman 5200(?) - colour unit anyway - and the display was really good. This was around Magnetic Island at Townsville and the base maps were OK. However, I was looking at the Garmin at the boat shop and the maps seemed to have much more detail. I didn't know they sold a format other than C-MAP so this may explain it.

However, having seen the colour version, you'd have to find the money to buy one - always check out US sites for cheaper buying as the $A is very strong at the moment. I order stuff from amazon.com every month (books usually) and the service is great - deliveries within 2 weeks - and the prices are less than half of that here.

Kerry
29-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Being specifically in the market for a chartplotter then the chart options and many and varied as not ALL charts fit ALL chartplotters and in some instances not all chart options cover the entire country.

If those are the 2 makes in question then the first point of call would be to someplace where you can actually see the different charting options for your specific area, and just to repeat myself, "see/view" the chart options for your "specific area".

For those 2 units there are possibly 2 different size chart options (and 2 different price options) for the 3200 and 2 to 3 chart size options for the 5100 and each unit supported by a different manufacturer.

Really if one only ever intends working local waters then charts that cover large areas are probably not cost effective.

It's tough if you like a particular chart system but it doesn't fit in the particular unit to would prefer.

For mine I'd be selecting the chart type first and the "most suitable" chartplotter second but then sometimes one might have to re-order the selection critera based on personal or other preferences.

Cheers, Kerry.

bj
29-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Mate I have not long had a Navman 5500i and think that it is great.If you can stretch your dollars a bit further go for colour you won't be sorry.It is also worth looking at the warranty that Navman offer it is hard to beat.All the best.

bigbrian47
29-10-2003, 02:51 PM
thanks everyone for your input i looked at the navman@ lowrance side by side today,probably prefer navman at this stage yet to look at the garmin just looking at the colour its easy to see lee @ waynes thoughts on colour. Kerry do the smaller area maps have more detail or just cheaper because of area covered,thanks again for your interest cheers brian :) :)

clutter
29-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Brian,

To check out what charts are available for each model have a look at www.c-map.com for the Navman and www.navionics.com for the lowrance/Eagle. I'll send you a PM on some other info.

Cheers,

Clutter

Kerry
29-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Brian, both chart providors for these units use the "official" charts as a base and to do this they both are licenced to the AHO. In this respect the chart scale remains fairly standard but each company has additional data, some which is typical navigation chart related, some which is not.

Basically the smaller chart area options are simply subsets of the larger chart areas, fewer charts costs less but limit coverage.

Tweed Heads - Whitsunsays would give the same chart coverage around Brisbane as say the smaller Ballina - Bundaberg option but for that local area the even smaller "local" Tweed - Mooloolaba option would have the same detail for that local area.

Cheers, Kerry.

bigbrian47
29-10-2003, 04:54 PM
certainly some options, thinking the extra for colour might be worthwhile,heading to bundy/gladstone for a few days make up my mind next week again appreciate the help cheers brian :) :)

davo
30-10-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm in the macket for a chart plotter myself. My mate just bought a Garmin 176C and compared to the Navman the charts are definitely better. Lowrance I'm afraid have been problem childs as far as my experiences go. A bloke I work with has the 5100i Navman and has had quite a few problems with it. I've got Garmin a FF240,FF80, and an old 12 handheld and they have been excellent.

clutter
30-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Davo,

What were the problems your mate had with the 5100i. As I understand there were a batch that had problems with the internal aerial but they were recalled and the problem has been fixed. Can you pass on the info.

Cheers, Clutter