PDA

View Full Version : digital camera's

s.tury
17-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I was wandering i notice alot of photos on the site with some really nice fish , im a bit worried about taking my digital camera out has anyone got a clue if they're not wet, will they be fine out on the water or am i best with an old pocket cheapo i'd be strung out if i damaged the camera [smiley=hanged.gif]

NQCairns
17-04-2004, 03:48 PM
What have you got? A 300 dollar digital is more than enough for fishing pics in my opinion, even some $200 ones today do a good enough job. I have a 5 year old really low resolution one that is still working perfectly after tens of trips, but has been resigned for one a bit better. I would leave the Nikon or pentax at home :) nq

bay_firey
17-04-2004, 03:56 PM
If it doesn't get wet it should be fine imho.
But just remeber how easy it would be to drop the camera and then it would be wet and useless

boatboy50
18-04-2004, 05:46 AM
Hey Guys,
I take my Digital camera out at least once a week on the water.
Havnt dropped it yet, and its showing no signs of corrosion.
I have a camera bag for it, which also usually houses the handheld GPS.
Its a $1000 camera, and shows no signs of having troubles after about 12 months constant use.
Reghards
Darren

s.tury
18-04-2004, 06:31 AM
mines probably $700 its a sony cybershot but it took a while to save for it im wrapped in it and would love to get some great pics out on the water but a bit worried about taking it out maybe should hold on till they come down even further and get a cheaper one?

basserman
18-04-2004, 07:52 AM
got my digital camara about5 years ago it is a old sony cyber shot (the one that takes floppys) i take it out alot when fishing and it is still going strong but you do need to watch where you put it and treat it out on the water as i'm sure any water will see them not working! ;)
i'm hopeing to save up and wait till the prices fall on some of the new underwater digitals ::)

cHiCo
18-04-2004, 08:56 AM
You can get waterproof cases which you can still take photos with the camera while they are in the case. Enquire at your local camera shop about them. Even just buying a case for it and taking it out when you need to use it pretty much makes the chance of it getting wet very low.

bidkev
18-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi,

I've got a fuji finepix s500 3.2 meg. Wanted more meg but opted for less meg and the 10x zoom instead.

A simple cheap ploy to keep the camera clean and free from sand/grit/water etc is to cut a hole in a poly bag, big enough to poke the lens through and secure it round the lens with a laccy band. If you can keep it dry, they're fine on the water but it's the wind that does the damage by driving grit etc onto the lens and into so-called Innaccessible places.

I'm an ex pro photographer who used to carry as many as 3 EOS bodies in the boat with not one of them coming to grief. Always use a strap around the neck to prevent dropping.

A one meg is good enough for showing on the net but if you opt for that, you may kick yourself one day when you get that "big 'un" that you would like to develop and frame to 16X12

good luck

kev

Big_Kev
18-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Check your house and contents insurance as it may cover the camera on the boat, just in case it is accidentaly damaged.
Cheers Kev. :) :)

boatboy50
18-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Kingtin, how do you find the Fuji?
i currently own a fuji s2800 (an older version of what you have)
Its a great camera but is only 2.0 megapixel.
I want to upgrade to the 500 or the 700 soon, as the prices have dropped enough for me, to around 600 or 800 now.
Do you find it easy to use, and is the end product good?
have you got a polarized lens? does it make a difference?
i cant get it with my camera, partly why i want to upgrade.
Regards
Darren

bidkev
18-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi Darren,

Try this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/

The reviewer only gives it an Average grade (Jeeeeeesuz! What does he expect for that money?) but the folk who have bought it generally seem quite pleased. Let's face it, you get what you pay for but this camera has 3.2 meg (enough for what I will need) comes out with a 10x Zoom f stop 2.8 and a 21/2 X digital zoom at less than 600 bucks! You couldn't buy an SLR lens alone, that size and that fast for the money!

I *was* going for the 700 but at only 3X zoom I didn't think the extra bucks was worth it just for the extra megs which I probably won't need anyway as large portraits (16x12 and above), I still shoot on film

It also comes with a good lens hood that also doubles as a 55m adapter which means that I can use all my old Canon EOS filters amd also my Cokin filters on it, but as of yet, I haven't had need to use a polariser but I don't see any difficulty in doing so. I think anything but a circular polariser may well confuse the metering system though. A 55m thread is pretty much well universal so you will have no trouble obtaining a polariser for it.

I'm happy with the shots that I've taken and the only way I can fault it so far is that it defaults to 400asa on Automatic. I avoid this by setting it to 200 and shoot (mainly) on Programme which is basically Automatic with the option to change aperture or speed.

This is a photo shot at 1 meg.......should've used fill in flash but I just wanted to see how it handled natural skin tones.

Gorilla_in_Manila
19-04-2004, 05:34 AM
Kev,
Any problems with your EOS shutters. I got a EOS 10 that the shutter started sticking on. My old man and a couple of his friends have had their EOS 1000's stuff up. Sent them in for repair and they all had to change the entire shutter mechanism which cost them plenty of bucks. Some sort of gum or shit slowly leaks out of the material they are made from and clags them up apparently.
Had the same thoughts as far as the digital goes. Bought a sony P8 recently and am going to get one of those waterproof housings for it. 3.2 meg plenty of resolution for casual snaps and emailed fishing pics. Was almost going for the EOS10D but had a good hard think about what I was going to actually use it for. I'd proably leave it at home 9 times out of 10 because it would have been to much of a pain in the arse to lug around and babysit. Wouldn't take it out in the boat either probably.
Decided to wait until the EOS digitals with decent resolution come down in price. Then all my old lenses will still fit them. In the meantime, I can still take the good shots on the film EOS (as long as I get the bloody shutter fixed that is).
Was wondering if you are familiar with the problem with the shutters and know any way of fixing it short of sending it in for the big replacement.
Cheers
Jeff

Volvo
19-04-2004, 11:29 AM
:)I purchased a Fujifinepix S3000 from HN for a neat sum of $520. Really impressed with the quality it gives.3.2Mp and 6xzoom..if the S5000 or S7000 are any better i dare say the extra few bucks they charge will be well worth it ;)..
Cheers

boatboy50
19-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Thank you Kingtin,
I am sure now i will upgrade to the 500 or 700. Just depends on price.
I like the easy use of the 2800 i have, so hope to not lose that, as im no expert with the camera, point and shoot!
Looks like good quality. Do you have any idea on where to get the best prices for them?
Regards
Darren

bidkev
19-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Thank you Kingtin,
I am sure now i will upgrade to the 500 or 700. Just depends on price.
I like the easy use of the 2800 i have, so hope to not lose that, as im no expert with the camera, point and shoot!
Looks like good quality. Do you have any idea on where to get the best prices for them?
Regards
Darren

Darren,

I got mine from Bentley's Camera House at Westfield Strathpine (they have other branches) They were $100 bucks cheaper than any of the other 7 places I asked for a quote.

Good luck

kev

imported_admin
19-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Darren

Try Dirt Cheap Cameras http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com I think they are based in Sydney. Mate bought a digital from there, beat the best price he could get in Brisbane by $100.00, and that was on a $400.00 camera.

bidkev
19-04-2004, 09:02 PM
[quote author=Gorilla_in_Manila link=board=Tackle;num=1082120296;start=10#11 date=04/18/04 at 09:34:09]Kev,
>Any problems with your EOS shutters. I got a EOS 10 that the shutter started sticking on. My old man and a couple of his friends have had their EOS 1000's stuff up. Sent them in for repair and they all had to change the entire shutter mechanism which cost them plenty of bucks. Some sort of gum or shit slowly leaks out of the material they are made from and clags them up apparently.<

I had a 1000, a 100, and an older 600. The 1000 and the 100 both stuffed up twice (which is why I had the 600 back-up....that *never* stuffed up despite being an older model). They took some stick so I suppose I can't complain. The shutters themselves aren't too bad although they are more fragile than older shutters. This is due to lighter materials being used to accomodate the demand for faster shutter speeds. On *all* occasions it wasn't actually the shutter per se but a little rubber "grommet" holding them (I think it's a cushion for when the shutter bounces back). Each time I put it in for repair (get this:-) They charged me $80 bucks for the service (which I would have needed anyway) and 62 cents for the "grommet". That was about 3 years ago at the Cannon depot at Dutton Park, although they send 'em to Sydney for repair. Put 'em in through a camera shop and they will charge you twice the going rate.....steer clear 'cause most of 'em don't use the manufacturer.

>Had the same thoughts as far as the digital goes. Bought a sony P8 recently and am going to get one of those waterproof housings for it. 3.2 meg plenty of resolution for casual snaps and emailed fishing pics. Was almost going for the EOS10D but had a good hard think about what I was going to actually use it for. I'd proably leave it at home 9 times out of 10 because it would have been to much of a pain in the arse to lug around and babysit. Wouldn't take it out in the boat either probably<

Same here. When I sold all my studio gear, and EOS (the wife still has a 3000 with wide angle and a 300 zoom that hasn't yet stuffed up), I was gonna buy top of the range Nikon digital which then was around three grand. I actually got in the shop with *cash* in my hand and thought "do I really *need* this, or do I just *want* this. Then I saw a photo on the wall of a guy in a boat with a huge Spanish......walked out......put the money towards a boat, and haven't looked back. I still promised myself a cheaper digital later, hence my fujipix and I can still use all my filters with it, if I need to :-)

>Decided to wait until the EOS digitals with decent resolution come down in price. Then all my old lenses will still fit them. In the meantime, I can still take the good shots on the film EOS (as long as I get the bloody shutter fixed that is).<

Whereabouts are you? can you get to Dutton Park?

>Was wondering if you are familiar with the problem with the shutters and know any way of fixing it short of sending it in for the big replacement.<

Answered above.....it's probably the "grommet". You can tell 'em to look and qoute and if it's too expensive for you to have fixed, they return it to you but they charge about 65 bucks labour just for opening it and lookin'. You don't get it back if you don't pay.

Ask yourself if the money could be better spent towards a digital if the repair is too dear. And another word of warning. How old are your lenses?

Most of them begin to grow mold internally by the time they're 4 or 5 years old.....Queensland climate problem, unfortunately. That's why the wife has my 300 lens still, but that's ok 'cause it saves me using a diffuser filter for softening portraits ;-)

Bet you wished you'd never asked :-)

Good Luck

kev

Gorilla_in_Manila
20-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Kev,
Thanks for all that. Come to think of it, it may have just been the gromet that was replaced, and it was the amount of money the camera shop charged that seemed like it was the whole shutter.
Mines been around a while. Bought it in singapore end 1992, and has been sitting around in aus foir the last couple of years. Getting back to aus (Nrth NSW) in May, so I will pull it out and see what it looks like. I probably should run it up to canon at brissy for a service any way.
Didn't know that about the lenses becoming a mould factory. Can canon service them also?
Thanks for all the time and effort you put into the reply.
Cheers
Jeff

davo
20-04-2004, 08:10 AM
I saw Dp review mentioned. It's a great web site. Get a camera that runs on AA batteries. that way in an emergency you can go to normal batteries. I've just come back from Weipa on a fishing trip. I have a Canon Powershot A70 3.2Mpixel. It's excellent, but thing that I did get before I left was Pelican brand Micro Case from Queensland Case at Capalaba in Bayside Brisbane. They are Unconditional Guarranted for life, submersable with a pressure relief valve. It only cost $36. With all the spray we copped up there the case did the trick. Pelican is on the web so check them out.

bidkev
20-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Kev,
>Thanks for all that. Come to think of it, it may have just been the gromet that was replaced, and it was the amount of money the camera shop charged that seemed like it was the whole shutter.<

Yep! Their "percentage" was what probably made it seem expensive.

>Mines been around a while. Bought it in singapore end 1992, and has been sitting around in aus foir the last couple of years. Getting back to aus (Nrth NSW) in May, so I will pull it out and see what it looks like. I probably should run it up to canon at brissy for a service any way.
Didn't know that about the lenses becoming a mould factory. Can canon service them also?

I think so, but I reckon it wouldn't come cheap. The last lens (28-70 zoom) I bought for my missus, was a Tokina from Photo Continental and it was a third of the price of buying a Canon. Does the job ok, although there's fall of at the edges on enlargements over 10x8. Quite often with a knackered lens, it's cheaper to replace.

If you hold the lens up to the light, at it's widest aperture, the mould can be see as something akin to frosted glass. Unless you want particularly sharp images, it's no big deal until it gets really bad.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into the reply.
Cheers
Jeff

No worries, Jeff

kev

bidkev
20-04-2004, 09:48 AM
I saw Dp review mentioned. It's a great web site. Get a camera that runs on AA batteries. that way in an emergency you can go to normal batteries. I've just come back from Weipa on a fishing trip. I have a Canon Powershot A70 3.2Mpixel. It's excellent, but thing that I did get before I left was Pelican brand Micro Case from Queensland Case at Capalaba in Bayside Brisbane. They are Unconditional Guarranted for life, submersable with a pressure relief valve. It only cost $36. With all the spray we copped up there the case did the trick. Pelican is on the web so check them out.

Thanks for that Davo. Sounds cheap for such a "life-saving piece of kit. Will look 'em up.

You are right about the Canon Powershot. A couple of my rellies have them and they seem excellent. Good reports on the lens as well. That was what got me thinking about digital in the first place. Now if they'd have done one with a 10xzoom, I'd have gone for that, rather than the Fuji

cheers

kev

Gorilla_in_Manila
20-04-2004, 11:27 AM
This them Davo?
http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html
Cheers
Jeff

scubapro
23-04-2004, 04:43 AM
I have a Canon Ixus 300 which has 2.1 megapixels & 3 x optical zoom in a Canon underwater housing. It fits the camera like a glove & is very small & light.

I picked up the housing from Myers at the Gold Coast in a throw out sale for $89-00 & bought a second hand Ixus (in as new condition) for $300-00.

All up a great package & I have no problems about worrying about water damage.

Scubapro

BlitzBaga
23-04-2004, 05:20 AM
We just bought a new Kodak DX6490 it takes beautiful photos. I think I'd get shot by the missus if I took it fishing, even if it was fully protected. I guess some people by their camera spefically for fishing. I might get to take it when the novelty wears off.

Cheers
Murray