PDA

View Full Version : gsp, no double, but folded in two, to mono or hook

rick_k
24-04-2004, 09:32 PM
double; bimini/plait/albright/spider/? -v- any of the above tied w/out double, but with the gsp folded back on itself.

Have any of you tested whether a well tied double in the gsp joined to a mono leader of say, double the breaking strain of the gsp is stronger than another knot where the gsp is folded back on itself and tied into a heavier mono or wire leader?

GSP braid or fused doubled back on itself tied to a hook/swivel, or other terminal??

Rick K

banshee
26-04-2004, 06:01 PM
G'day Rick,I use it doubled back on itself for swivels and the like,but for the life of me I can't get a plait to work for me,I have tried it on up to 50 lbs Fireline but the plait still works it's way down.

rick_k
26-04-2004, 06:15 PM
My plaits are about 10-15mm long, and sometimes the top couple of cycles of the plait look less tidy than the rest.

What do you mean by 'work down', Banshee?

banshee
26-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I made mine about 150mm long with a realy tight weave but when I feed my line back on through my fingers as the plait passes through it pushes the top part out of shape,sort of zig zag,I've stayed with a biminy onto an albright for my double leaders.

agnes_jack
27-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Rick a good Knot for putting hooks or swivels onto braid is the
palomar, this is basicaly doubled back on itself.

Regards, Tony

rick_k
28-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Banshee, 150mm; you must be patient!! My interest in the folded in half technique came about from seeing albrights tied that way (20lb braid to 80lb mono) by a Darwin local in a hot bite. The tackle was never going to fish 20lb to its limit; selected that for abrasion resistance, but it was heaps faster
than making a double and then tying a leader etc in a hot session on jacks.

Tony, thanks, I'll have a look in Wilsons. haven't used a Palomar before.

Thanks.

Rick k