PDA

View Full Version : Marine Radios

fisho
28-04-2004, 02:09 PM
With all the regulations (many which make good sense), it amazes me that it is not compulsory for a vessel travelling offshore to carry a marine radio; yes, another cost, but what price for a life........

Surely a marine radio is the first port of call when in distress plus what about logging in and out with the coastguard?

What do you think? ;)

blaze
28-04-2004, 02:44 PM
its conpulsery in tassie

fisho
28-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks blaze - I'm in QLD.

caveman
29-04-2004, 02:53 PM
well there you go i thought it was in QLD that why i havn't been game to go to far in case i got a saftey check done by the water police again

cheers gary

jaybee
29-04-2004, 07:21 PM
its only common sense you would carry a marine radio, however years ago the government then, requiring ppl to have licenses to use them dictated that the general public said stuff it, i wouldnt go offshore without it, in fact i don't go in the bay without it, plus the mobile.
cheers
Joe.

bidkev
30-04-2004, 04:24 AM
I never go anywhere without mine, or my mobile. I think they should be compulsory and the tax removed from the purchase and licensing of 'em in order to encourage more purchses.

In the UK (when I left) you paid Vat (value added tax at 15%), then you pay again on the cost of the course, then you pay again on the cost of the licence. Neither radios, registration, or safety equipment was compulsory. It may have changed since. Ther was an argument that the tax was a deterrent to purchase, but IMHO, the vast majority (of those I knew) who *didn't* have radios or safety gear, wouldn't have purchased if they were offered at half price. Just plain and simple.....tight-arsed dickheads.

kev

basserman
30-04-2004, 07:27 PM
composary if more than 2 nurtical miles off the coasts in nsw also!
it is also composary to have a EPIRB if more than 8 nurtical miles off in nsw

Lucky_Phill
01-05-2004, 04:36 PM
The QLD regs are great, but I agree that a radio ( VHF ) should be compulsory.

What we need is for all " safety gear to be tax free ". Flares, $60 every 3 years etc.

Yes I know , there'll be the obligatory " what price on ya life post ". but add it up.

EPIRB $215
radio $250
Flares $ 60
V-Sheet $10
life jkt $ $25 ea
Compass $80
buckets, water, chart, signal device, anchor etc

Yes, it doesn't look like much.but. take the tax off and it looks a whole lot better.

I think the VMR once told me, 90 out of 100 boats that go out have a radio and 1 in 10 of those actually log in. piss poor effort.

Cheers Phill