PDA

View Full Version : 3G Mobiles have GPS

MY-TopEnder
23-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm about to upgrade my phone to one of the Motorola 3 phones with an inbuilt GPS, should be interesting to see how well it works.

Has anyone else tried this?

bungie
24-06-2004, 02:09 AM
I think you will find it cost you to use the gps

Kerry
24-06-2004, 04:40 AM
I think you will find it cost you to use the gps

Cost to use? what do you mean?

Cheers, Kerry.

bugman
24-06-2004, 04:48 AM
Top Ender,

Seriously and I mean really seriously - if you have the option of not going with 3 then take it..

I have one for work and I would trade it in a second. Their network coverage is hopeless and the drop outs are just too frequent and constant to make it worth while. If you have a bad temper your phone will be part of the wall in no time. If you use it for business then it could be costing you money.

There are also serious issues with the message bank service and the actual 3 service doesn't work all the time even though you're in the coverage zone and your phone is telling you that it can be accessed.

I can't wait until our next big deal with Telstra to get a real phone again. :-/

Bugman

MY-TopEnder
24-06-2004, 04:59 AM
G'Day Brett,

Unfortunately mate its too late for me to stay away from 3... they have me by the short and curly's. I've got the e808 now.. and i tell ya what i've thought about using it as a sinker a few times now.

Ah well... this new phone won't cost me any more than it is now, and apparently it has a GPS thing...

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-06-2004, 09:49 AM
two emloyees here concur with Brett.

mackmauler
24-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Any 3g phones that come for a ride to spot x will be going to the bottom, telstra still allowed ;D

MY-TopEnder
24-06-2004, 10:15 AM
haha yeah don't worry Rob i've already considered sending mine to the bottom as some weight on a line then just telling Club Marine it was pinched while i got the trailer... reckon they'd cover the cost of a replacement? ;D

bungie
24-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Cost to use? what do you mean?

Cheers, Kerry.

Think you will find 3 charges you to access the GSP network via the phone

bay_firey
24-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Top Ender

What model phone are you getting ??

Not trying to be smart but are you sure the phone has built in GPS and not GPRS capable.
GPS - Globas Positioning Sysytem
GPRS - General Packet Radio Service - a high speed way of sending / receiving data (pics, email, mobile internet etc) over the mobile phone network. Basicly the data is split into packets and sent over the network

MY-TopEnder
24-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Nah its all good, i know what you mean about the GPS/GPRS thing... It has what is called A-GPS or Assisted GPS. Basically its a GPS that provied your location on a map that it uses GPRS to download. Currently 3G Australia don't support the downloading thing but with aftermarket software you can get a track, and so on...

Its the Motorola A925.

bay_firey
24-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Top Ender

Cool, my understanding of A-GPS(didn't think of that at first, have that on my Kyocera CDMA) is that it provides the location of your handset to emergncy services when used on a network that supports the technology, of which there currently are none in Australia.
If you can download software that enables you to gat a track, position etc that could be handy.

MY-TopEnder
24-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Yeah that was the same understanding i had from reading a little about it but since reading stuff from Motorola and so on, its more for locating where you are on a provided map. So you could call up a map of Hervey Bay and see that you're on the esplanade in Scarness... from there you could work out how to get to the boat harbour.

Unfortunately though, Australia (in their infinite wisdom) don't support it. But with the aftermarket software you can view a breadcrumb trail of where you've been.

Big_Kev
24-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Any 3g phones that come for a ride to spot x will be going to the bottom, telstra still allowed ;D

Nah no good for sinkers Rob, shit like that floats.

Sportfish_5
24-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Maybe they could transfer some video from underwater ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is Mr P. Perch home ? 8) 8)

Greg

Kerry
25-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Think you will find 3 charges you to access the GSP network via the phone

Pulling a bit of a swifty if they think they can charge for using GPS but from what others have mentioned I get the impression that they charge you for downloading a map (portion) based on where your phone is (from GPS).

Cheers, Kerry.

MY-TopEnder
25-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Kerry, thats right... they charge nothing for providing the lat/lon/alt because its separate of their network. What they do charge for is to download a map of the local area. Usually the maps are 5kb... so something like 10c.

bugman
26-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Bay Firey,

3 doesn't need GPRS because it actually uses the 3G spectrum.

GPRS came about as phone companies tried to go cheap on transfering data via mobiles. Instead of shelling out the hard earned on the new spectrum license or installing the new network they came up with ways of using the existing 2.5G facilities.

From memory 2.5 has a maximum 20-30kbps download/transfer capability where 3G has a theoretical maximum of around 360kbps.

Telstra are just hanging back waiting for Hutch to finally roll over and admit they've failed with 3G rollout in Aus and will snap up the network - they already own spectrum license.

Actually Hutch already sold off all their assests - they installed the network but were losing so much money hand over fist thet actually sold of the towers and maintence to a third party and now lease it back.

When I was in Sydney last I got to play with some very cool toys in the Hutch boardroom but I'd still prefer another network. Actualy a good PDA connected to a good 3G network and a "decent mobile phone" would do me any day.

Bugman

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-06-2004, 05:51 AM
not too sure about its kbps, GPRSs, PDAs, 3Gs, CDMAs or POQs but I can drop my 6150 on it antenna a couple of times a day & it keeps on tickin'.

i'm yet to test it on the bottom of the bay - i'm waiting for webby's test results. ;D

MY-TopEnder
26-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Brett,

As far as i know, that third party that the network was lobbed off to was Vodafone. Which is why there is now an LG phone available, and also a Sony Ericsson on its way. From what i was told, by Vodafone owning it, they're able to introduce other phones on top of the contracts with Motorola, NEC and Nokia.

All that asside, the network still needs alot of work. For every 2 minutes my phone is on the 3G network, it spends 3 minutes on the 2.5G network.

I just wish they made a small, water and shock proof Nokia that was 3G capable... that way i could have a good phone, and a small bill.

oscar
27-06-2004, 03:39 PM
In Saturday's Courier Mail, e-Mail section, pages 4 & 5. there is an article by Steve Polak on G3.
PS: It's different to what you guys are saying!!! ;D
oscar