PDA

View Full Version : Colour Sounders

Jack_Lives_Here
09-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Seriously considering a colour sounder forthe new rig. Grey scale units do seem to have more bottom definition but colour easier to sort fish from bottom. Just chasing some feedback on your experiences with colour sounders.

Somethn_Fishy
09-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Hi All,

I was just wondering the sam ething also - started a thread earlier about two choices. Does anyone ahve any ideas if colour is better than high definition grey scale.

Mackmauler - nice sounder you got there. I was ineterested in buying one of those Raymarines myself and was wondering how you are finding it. Should i spend more and get the 600 or do you think the 400 is OK??

Thanks guys - love the sounder reading thread.

MICHAELG
09-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Dave

I got the Navman 4500 colour sounder. very easy to use and the display is sensational. picking up and understanding bottom structure is so easy.
colour really define bait schools

if you can go the 600w

Michael

Somethn_Fishy
09-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks Michael.

From you r pic on the side is that the Dry Dock Rd. Boat ramp?
they are going to upgrade it soon with fish cleaning tables etc. Good News.

Also i actually have a Navman 5500 colour Chart plotter and was wandering if your Navm,an 4500 is any good - would be the same as my GPS unit.

Thanks.

MICHAELG
09-07-2004, 05:56 AM
somethn_fishey

It is a Spinnaker marina Bribie Is.

The screen resolution(pixels) i thinks are the same. I cannot fault it at this stage. I have caught more fish since I got it, if that means anythig.
The detail you get from colour is truly amazing.

Michael

POWDER
09-07-2004, 02:02 PM
HI FELLAS.JUST WONDERING WHAT A GOOD PRICE FOR A NAVMAN 4500 SOUNDER?
I HAVE THE TRACKER 5600 ,IF ITS AS GOOD QUALITY AS THAT I WOULD BE RAPT

Jack_Lives_Here
09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Hey Michael. 600W?? Is that an option. Did you go a transom mounted transducer or thru hull??

megafish71
11-07-2004, 07:07 AM
I have been running a Navman 4500 for about 6 months now, excellent little colour sounder. I have found that to get the best results you should set the screen scroll feed to flat out, also i don't use the fish symbols feature (turn this to off) get a much beter understanding of what is going on by wacthing the arches on the screen. Sounder has loads of features but rely on the user manual to explain how to use all of these correctly. Another great feature is the fuel usage software ( with optional sender unit). On the sounder might not be that accurate for working out litres per klm but will give you a definate fuel used and litres per hour, excellent for seeing how much fuel used at anytime during a trip. That all aside it doesn't matter which sounder you use, if the transducer is not set up right no sounder is going to give you an accurate picture of what is going on under you . Correct transducer set up is the most important factor with any new installation.

cheers and best of luck with the new setup
Ron