PDA

View Full Version : Position for GPS Reciever

Black_Rat
15-07-2004, 02:59 AM
Hi,

I am picking up my new 5.2m centre console in about 4 - 5 weeks time and have purchased a Humminbird Matrix 15 sounder & GPS reciever to install. I am enquiring about the best position for the reciever on the boat. I have seen them mounted on top of the console adjacent the souder screen & also on the gunwale near the anchore well.
The boat will have a fold down conopy and was wondering if a clear signal will still be achievable with the reciever unit mounted adjacent the screen or will the conopy give a mixed / false reading when up? Will the souder experience interference from the reciver unit if mounted say 500mm away from the screen on the console? I intend getting the dealer to install, but havn't spoken to them yet. Any problems / advise on the postion of the reciever unit would be appreciated. ???

drevil
15-07-2004, 03:41 AM
Hey Black_Rat

I would mount it as close as possible to right in front of where you are steering, which is in the first spot you mentioned, on the console next to the fishfinder. At times when you are out by yourself and want to punch in some waypoints for a structure you have just found or whatever, you would want the GPS as close as possible. Plus, for older buggers like me, I like to be able to see the screen quickly & easily when I'm driving.

I can't see your fishfinder or canopy causing any interference - if you had a hard top it would be a differnt story.

Black_Rat
15-07-2004, 03:52 AM
drevil,

Thanks for the advice [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].
Just a quick clarification when i mentioned 'GPS reciver unit' I should have called it the 'GPS antenna' as it is a Sounder/GPS. [smiley=confused.gif]

drevil
15-07-2004, 07:37 AM
OK, Black Rat, in that case i would try and mount it as high and out of the way as possible, maybe attached to one of the canopy rails?

Zeeke
15-07-2004, 08:30 AM
ive got a gps receiver on my matrix 25, and i have it mounted at the rear of my boat on the gunwhale.. it only sticks up about 2" high and has a dome top, you can either flush mount it, or pole mount it, comes with screw on base for pole mounting which you can fit anywhere.. but mine works perfectly flush mounted at the rear of the boat.. its out of the way, doesnt get affected by anything.. and its reading the position at the back of the boat where your transducer is reading, so its not giving you a mark 4 meters infront of where ur looking down at the bottom, but directly where your looking..

Tim

Black_Rat
15-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Tim,

That makes sense put the antenna where the transducer is reading ;). Probably flush mount where it's out of the way and opposite side to the live bait tank ! Thanks for the advice [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-07-2004, 09:55 AM
i'd agree with the flush mount keeping it away from passenger entry points, anchor rope arcs, & the reel positions when rod are in holders.

Its a good point drevil makes though. I have a console. My screen unit is positioned on my right side (same side as the throttle) near the grab rail. That way in choppy sea my left hand doesn't need to leave the wheel & i can operate the unit with my thumb with the grab rail as support.
If not on a gimbal, have both screens angled to face your normal operating position (functional) rather than the "better looking" square to the console poition. You'll get a lot less glare problems.

chris