PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera's

macca
05-07-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't know if this subject has been raised before.

What sort of digital camera does everyone use ?

What megapixel rating is it ?

I have just bought a Sony DSCP73s 4.1 Megapixel with 3 x Optical Zoom and 10 x Digital zoom.

I am having heaps of fun, digital is so much easier.

What do you guys use ?

Macca

Derek Bullock
05-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Macca

I got the Sony DSC V1. Has 5 megapixels. 4 times optical zoom and 4 times digital zoom. Has a neat macro for closeups as well. Neat little Carl Zeiss lens. Picked it up new on an auction on ebay.

The old 35 mm is collecting dust now.

Derek

Scorpion
05-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Well, macca, u mast be loaded lol,
i have a kodac cx6200 2.0 mega pixels and it takes some great shots. I actually took it with me last week when we went fishing and took some shots of my son and his catch. the good thing about them is that u can show everyone the picis when u get home.

scorpion ;D 8) ;) :) :D

aido
05-07-2004, 05:11 PM
i like my panasonic lumix
4mp 3x optical and 3x digital.
sure takes a better pic than my trusty old
dolphin 640x480 non adjustable battery destroyer
;D ;D ;D

http://users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/P1020854.JPG

oscar
05-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Amity Banks this morning, Sony 5.1 DSC-P93.

MTpockets
06-07-2004, 12:34 AM
I just bought a Concord 2040.
1600 x 1200 res
LCD display
4 x digital zoom
takes video clips
7 meg onboard memory
sd/mmc compat
2.0 mp
COST $45
great little fishing camera.
takes great snaps, and for general pic, does as well as my daughters $500 sony. Maybe not as good quality, but how much detail does one need to see of a fish ?? hehehe
cheers
Les

BlitzBaga
06-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Kodak DX 6490, these pics are at seaworld last Friday

BlitzBaga
06-07-2004, 06:13 AM
I don't know why the attachments are deleting themselves,, trying again

littlejim
06-07-2004, 07:08 AM
macca,

biggest pain I find compared to film camera is 'shutter lag'.
I have a DSE cheapie with fixed focus so there is no 'autofocus' lag.
Fine if nothing is moving, but if subject is moving, like kids, get a lot of blurred photos that film camera would have 'frozen'.
Mine is 3 megapixels. All the fuss about megapixels makes sense if you are going to make big enlargements, but I only ever print postcard size.
For the Web all the megapixels are a pain, to send a picture I shrink it down to about 48KB. The picture I start with out of the camera is over 1.4MB.
Any new camera buyers should take a few photos at the shop first to see if it does what they want. Take kids/grandkids to see if they are happy with the amount of blurring. As no film is involved camera seller should be happy to let you take a few piccies before purchase.
Being able to look at the piccies on your computer straight away makes digital worth it even with a 'cheapie' camera.
See all those sounder shots Iank has put up nearby to see how useful the things can be.

Crewsin
06-07-2004, 07:09 AM
you getting all technical now mate ...gone digital

Crewsin
06-07-2004, 07:14 AM
I think you need to go and buy a digital worth about $2000 to be able to take speed shots like the old Cannon motor driven 35mm .

MTpockets
06-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Yes Rod, Finally caught up to the 20th century.... hmmm hang on, its the 21st aint it....
oh well back to the drawing board LOl
cheers
Les

Crewsin
06-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Well done Les ... Now I want to see the pic proof & not the one i had to throw back story
;)

MTpockets
06-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Hows this Rod? 45 bucks well spent i would say.

GiddyUp
06-07-2004, 04:07 PM
i've got a Canon IXUS II that stopped working last week, comes up with a error code (E18), only 11 months old , rang Canon and its a lens problem thats more than likely caused by a bit of sand jamming it, if so it wont be covered by warranty, what hope have i got it has to be sent to Sydney so they can come up with any excuse for it's problem not to cover it. Looking over the net this seems to be a problem with most of canons digitals so if i had the choice again i would probably stay clear...$400 to fix a $550 dollar camera($800 a year ago)

Rosso
06-07-2004, 06:19 PM
I have the Sony DSC VI. Its brillant. Does everything i want. Takes 5MP sized photos and downward to about 1.3 i think. can take footage and other neat stuff. Got it off ebay and saved at least $300+.

I am so impressed with it i even conviced Derek to get one :P

However, in the kayak i still use the old cheapy film one...

In a nutshell i depends on a) how much money you are willing to spend B) what do you want it for C) where are you going to use it.

There isn't much point spending top $$$ for a nice camera if you have the chance of dropping it overboard and never seeing it again (hence why i use the $200 version in the Kayak.)

I like mine. PM me for more info if interested.

Rob.

Crewsin
06-07-2004, 07:01 PM
If you look hard enough , there are cases available for MOST digital cameras these days , to protect them from just that , sand , dust & water( saying water i mean not overboard of course, unless it's a totally waterproof diving case) . Some of them after market stuff, and reasonably cheap i am told .On saying that i am still yet to get one for my Sony DSC-P50 2.1 megapixel

blaze
07-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Have a Oylmpus 1.3 mega pixels SLR purchased about 6 years ago for about $3000, takes really good macro and has the ability to screw on filters etc.
Also have a chinese job off ebay that only safes the pics sometimes it only cost $25, but not worth a $1
cheers
blaze

bay_firey
07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Nikon D70 SLR 28 - 80 Zoom AF. 6 mega pixel
Every but as good and quick as my F60 35mm and all my accesories/ lenses are interchangeable.
I wish I had gone to a digital SLR years ago, but always let the price put me off.

Cheech
07-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Les,,, I am only after a cheap digital for now. Where did you get yours? Looks like it does the job.

Cheech

macca
07-07-2004, 04:15 PM
I've had the cheap one's.

There just crap, I had my cheap one changed over twice at the shop.

They take alright picture's but always had downloading problems.

So thats why I upgraded to the Sony.

It has happened too many times, I've taken a great photo but could not get it off the camera due to a unreliable cheap camera.

My tip, buy a reliable brand.

My thoughts

Macca

Cheech
07-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Your dead right Macca. I always talk about buying anything cheap being false economy. Just don't always take my own advice.

Will hold off a while till I can afford something reasonable.

Cheech

Crewsin
07-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Cheech ...Sony have been fairly reliable for me and a breeze to download to my computer with Win XP ( don't need any software ) They are also getting fairly cheap lately.I think i was looking at an add in Sundays paper for a 4.1 meg. approx $400.oo?
Maybe wrong it could have been a 2.1, either way they take a great shot and a 128 meg memory stick is approx $100 and hold approx 400 shots at best resolution.
Rod

oscar
08-07-2004, 04:36 AM
What a pleasant supprise for a computer, on connecting the Sony, XP reqognised the camera, made a directory, downloaded my stills and movies. When I have more to add, I just plug in the camera, it automatically loads them into the directory. Also having a son with one, makes sharing memory sticks and photos a breeze.
PS: Brisbane car sound have memory sticks, 128MB for $74.

MTpockets
08-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Cheech,
I got mine from Coles Supermarket where I work. All stores were allotted 6 cameras each. Our 6 went within one day. The boss bought 2, and he got one for the store, my workmate bought one and I bought one. We sold the other to a customer. They were $49.00 and with staff discount got mine for $46.00. I have no trouble whatsoever downloading from the camera. It also takes 40 seconds of video without a memory card. The pictures come out brilliant.
IF you can track one down at a Coles supermarket just keep your docket and if any problem arises AT ALL, you will be refunded your 49 bucks, no questions asked.
I could buy 3 packets of smokes for the same price, in a week and nobody will give me a refund on them eh? What have you got to lose.... nothing.... go for it. Hope you find a Coles with some left. I love my camera. 200 pics and still going strong on the same batteries. The wife's batteries cant beat that ;D ;D ;D ;D
cheers
Les

BlitzBaga
08-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Kodak DX6490 $849 with printer dock, the good thing about this camera is that the battery has lasted 180 shots with the flash. This pic below is at seaworld last week and it's only 47k in size

aussiebasser
08-07-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm with Blitzy, I too use a Kodak DX6490. #Excellent Large screen. #10X Optical zoom good lens quality.
Better off with a couple of small mem cards rather than one big one. #If it buggers up, you've lost everything. #By a card reader and use that. #Not keen on Kodak software, to much spyware stuff in it.
Harvey Normal have a Vivitar on sale at the moment which is good value. #10X Optical 3.2 megapixel 2.5" screen. #About $380, they were $900 when I looked at them in January.

This is with the Kodak, great Blues nice fish Fitzy

aussiebasser
08-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Hows this Rod? 45 bucks well spent i would say.

Geez yeah, 45 bucks for a Yammy 30 is good buyin' ;D

MTpockets
08-07-2004, 06:58 PM
;D

Burley_Boy
11-07-2004, 04:05 PM
You've done well MT. I tip my hat to you! ;D

2 Megapixels is stacks for pickies to email and those cameras are cheap as chips these days I just didn't realise how cheap!!!
3Meg will do for most smaller prints and works a treat on email once you downsize them. Most cameras will save as smaller files directly if required.

I have a Canon Powershot S40, a 4Meg unit that cost me almost $2000 a few years ago. I have only twice used the full resolution but would use it IF I wanted to make a poster shot or zoom in and crop while keeping the resolution. This sort of gear is a bit like buying computers, buying the latest and greatest will get you the most expensive unit that will drop in price the fastest while buying the unit that does the job for you will cost you a stack less and still hopefully be doing the job you bought it for in a few years time. I'm really happy with my camera but it hurts to see it in the shops getting close to $500 and I would feel more comfortable in the surf with a $45unit so I will keep my eyes peeled.

vertico
11-07-2004, 04:21 PM
make sure you get some optical zoom
digital zoom is just a waste of time

Heath
11-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I've got a Fuji Finepix S304. 3.2 megapixel with 6x optical zoom.

As vertico said, digital zoom aint worth squat.

The camera actually has 2 setting for 3.2 megapixel, it has a fine mode.

Could not be happier with the camera.

Only suggestion I would make is to go for the camera that has the highest optical zoom, for the megapixel range you are looking at.

Also rechargable batteries are a god send. Normal batteries were lasting 2 days max, since getting a set of 1700mAh batteries, I only need to charge them once a month.

vertico
11-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Ive got a canon digital ixus 3.2
it has 3 x optical and 2 x digital (digital zoom is disabled though)
digital zoom is disabled because it is rubbish no matter what they tell you at the shop
Try get atleast 2x or 3x and 2 megapixel and you will be laughing
I take all my photos at max res / quality and then reduce them down later for posting

webby
12-07-2004, 03:59 AM
HI While where on the subject of digitials, i have a sony dsc p31, it takes great day time shots, but at night when i do most of my fishing, taking photos and using the flash, most of my photos come out or the fish look pretty sick looking and all lit up, and cannot seem to get their colour showing properley.
I have just learnt that im takeing my photo at too small a size, but will by increaseing the size at night help stop fish llooking enimic looking, or is it just the operator.
Does anyone else have this problem at night.
regards

blaze
12-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Hi Webby
What i find with my camera is that when there is not enough light the camera refuse to take pic, so i find a better light sourse about the same distance away and focus camera and then, while holding my focus button realine my shot and then press the shutter right down, probably makes no sense
cheers
blaze

Heath
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Webby,

There is a simple trick to overcome that problem.

Shine a torch on the subject. Then the camera has something to focus on. You then get a clean, focused picture [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Heath
12-07-2004, 07:10 AM
As an example

Heath
12-07-2004, 07:15 AM
and another.

Both fish were released btw.

godevil
12-07-2004, 08:04 AM
i currently use a KODAK ls633 wich i purchased from ebay for $175au brand new ( from someone in melbourne ) it has a retail tag of over $500..
I like the fact it comes with a lithium ion battery and charger #wich lasts over 200 photos with flash ..

I will look at getting a printer dock for the camera wich i think makes it all too easy!!

It pays too look at ebay but personally i wouldnt buy any of the untrust worthy brands..

check the camera here : http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=865&pq-locale=en_AU

it takes good quality pics.

i guess it all comes down to what you will use it for and you personal prefrences..

Burley_Boy
12-07-2004, 08:24 AM
For the night photos its handy if you can reduce the intensity of the flash. The fish is shiny and you're not, so the light intensity will be automatically adjusted for one of you, usually not ideal for either. One way to get the fish looking the best is by zooming in on the actual fish or at least making it a larger part of your picture (without getting too close). The automatic programs seldom handle a mixed image like this too well and you have to start playing with the manual settings.
Another trick on some cameras is to try to light up the situation with any other lights you have available so that the flash is not providing all the light.

With focus a lot of units also have an LED mounted that emits a beam of light during focusing in the dark so that it has something to focus on, so I'm with Heath there if it doesn't use the torch.
At least with digital its easy & cheap to experiment.

vertico
12-07-2004, 08:30 AM
If the first shot dosent come out , try try again it dosent cost anything :)

MY-TopEnder
16-07-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm just about to buy a Fuji Finepix S5000

10x Optical Zoom
2.2x Digital zoom
3.1 megapixel (using interpolating can do 6.2megapixel)
Full Manual options
Additional lenses

This thing is pretty cool.. it has a light sensor for poor lighting. It uses a green beam of light to light up the source and has all the options for really getting a clear picture. It has the ability to use a wide angle and a telephoto lense.

Not bad for $579.

boatboy50
23-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey Topender,
Ive got the S5000 and its great. Excellent value for money.
Shop around, i pair 540 about three months ago at Retravision on the Gold Coast. Shopped more and got the big 240 card for about $140 i think.
Bought an aftermarket polarising lense, and a good camera bag which also houses my handheld GPS, spare batteries, and other lenses.
Couldnt be hapier, love that optical zoom!
Regards
Darren

MY-TopEnder
24-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Cheers Darren... thats what i wanted to hear. Its all well and good to read these reviews on camera sites but ya have to wonder about kickbacks. At least now a few people who use the things say they're good.

I've managed to find one for $549 plus i'll get a 256mb card, telephoto lens, polarising filter, tripod, and big camera bag plus about a dozen batteries (3 sets)