PDA

View Full Version : GPS ...any advice ?

Billo
27-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Guys , looking for a new GPS , eyes on a Garmin handheld - GPS72 , with all accesories i am looking at $420 from Johnny appleseed ...
mostly will be used in Moreton Bay , and venturing to 10 km off shore .
possible use in other localities ( Not on my boat ) which leads me to the idea of the handheld .

any advice any one can give either way ...better prices ...pros and cons ...other models to consider ???

whiteman
27-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Better prices? Try http://www.gpsoz.com.au/index.htm. For your budget go up to the GPS76 as you'll get more pixels on the screen.

butcher
27-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Just bought gps72 yesterday. Paid $269.10 for gps only.
Normally $299.00 from BIAS at Underwood. corner Kingston and Compton Roads. [behind Repco] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Tried it out today on trip to work, goes great, told me I was home again.hahaha

Billo
27-07-2004, 01:13 PM
cheers fellas .
the $420 included PC data cables and software , plus pivet mount and brackets to hook up on the boat .

GPS only $299

I will have to havce a look at BIAS me thinks ...$30 is a free carry case for bushwalking ;)

Not sure if i can warrant another $80 for a higher pixel count on the 76 , and i have had no problem with the old GPS12 , so need for the extrnal antenna ...as long as it gets me to the location ,if the useable features are the same ...although it would be nice to have a better display .,

any faults you can find with either of them ?

Sportfish_5
27-07-2004, 01:20 PM
That looks like a fair price from BIAS :o :o.

Cheers

Greg

Richo1
28-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Have heard bad reports on NAVMAN GPS/chart plotter. Pick one that is easy to read and operate,with a good display that leads you to your waypoint.

Cheers Richo

bazzavic
29-07-2004, 06:08 AM
thats funny ive heard the navman a very easy to use and are a good reliable unit

sharkbait
29-07-2004, 07:34 AM
I've got the 72 - very happy with the accuracy/usability. only complaint is that it takes ages to punch in 20 or 30 marks - apparently there is software to do this though.

Cheers, Kris.

whiteman
29-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Sharkbait

Oziexplorer freeware with GPS/PC cable. You'll save hours!!

BigE
29-07-2004, 11:09 AM
go the 76 billo i got a 72 and a mate got a 76 i'm kickin me self 76 will take a garmin mapsouce chart (a good thing) BIAS at springwood has one set up on display with a chart loaded def worth a look

Billo
29-07-2004, 01:37 PM
good stuff !
i have the future father in law scanning the shops in Hong Kong and Asia to see what prices they do over there ...not sure what their stocks are like ,..should be interesting .

Sharkbait ...the software allows you to do everything on pc and load straight into it .....can't wait to try it out !

Big E , there is a GPSMAP76 which is the one i think your talking about ....but that comes about $250 dearer then the 72 ..and about $150 dearer then the standard 76 not sure if i can warrant it ...although it is a fine tool to have , how usefull is it on a screen of that size ?
would be a good tool for the mug that can't be bothered openin a street deirectory on road ! ;D

Rebbasser
30-07-2004, 12:02 AM
If possible make sure it is WAAS enabled. I don;t quite remember what WAAS stands for but it is supposed to be able to get you to within two meters of your waypoint. Great when you are trying to find that small piece of structure you found last trip out.

blaze
30-07-2004, 09:43 AM
WAAS
does not function in australia
cheers
blaze

BladeRunner
30-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Billo
Buy local better back up good old Aussie service . Or buy a Gregorys still won't catch you fish .
I have a Garman Hand held It is the best GPS around ask the SAS in the gulf it work accurate for them how close buy one .They caught Sadam Husain . Buy Australian.
BladerRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

Billo
30-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Blader runner , I am definately getting the Garmin...was just interested in any opinions towards prices or optional models .
The prices over in Hong Kong actually are a little bit dearer ...strange , but i guess they wouldn't be selling as much stock as over here .

gonna have a look at BIAS and see what they can do for me ....then fill er up with marks ! ;D ;D

Kerry
30-07-2004, 03:29 PM
If possible make sure it is WAAS enabled. #I don;t quite remember what WAAS stands for but it is supposed to be able to get you to within two meters of your waypoint. #Great when you are trying to find that small piece of structure you found last trip out.

WAAS enabled [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] be buggered you do, that's the last thing you want here. It can be WAAS ready but the last thing you want to do in Australia is actually enable it, it needs to be disabled.

WAAS is short for Wide Area Augmentation System, which is a WADGPS Wide Area Differential GPS third party augmentation system but it don't work here and in fact the FAA are now facing funding cutbacks for the system as it has been realized that the system is unable to provide category I performance at most US airports due to misjudging technological maturity and unexpetced cost growth, in other words it can't/doesn't do what it was actually designed/intended for.

Cheers, Kerry.

ANYFISH
31-07-2004, 02:11 PM
i have just bought a gps 72 and i haven't been able to get the tide info function to work. i had a look through the book but i can't find much on the tides.
does anybody know how to use this function properly.

cheers, anyfish

BladeRunner
31-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Billo
No worrys mate been down the same path Best price etc .
I hope you fill it with lots of great spots .
My mate uses it to mark crab pots His memory is so bad [smiley=hammer.gif]
He hasen't lost one yet .
Happy Fishing
BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

scott_b
31-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Gday dont know if this will help but they sound cheap.

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/index.htm