PDA

View Full Version : Sounders

Jeremy87
18-08-2004, 02:33 PM
We're looking for a new sounder for the boat. After something for locating bass in stocked impoundments. talked to a lot of guys from tackle shops and have narrowed it down to a hummingbird matrix 27 or a lowrance X136df. Now i'm after some advice from someone not trying to sell a sounder.
jeremy

Leo_N.
19-08-2004, 08:58 AM
My understanding of the dual frequency is that it is very useful when you fish at a large variety of depths - the two frequencies operating optimally at different depths.

For locating bass in stocked impoundments do you really need a unit capable of operating at 350m?

I recently went into a boating shop intent on buying a Lowrance X125 and ended up with a Humminbird FF565. The reason was that it had a higher pixel count and more levels of grey-scale.

The Lowrance literature said that you should look for the highest pixel count that you can, so I decided that they were telling me to buy the Humminbird ;D.

The Matrix 27 looks to be very similar to the FF565, but has a higher powered output and GPS connectivity. I already had a handheld GPS, so wasn't interested in the Matrix. I am a fan of the connection on the Humminbird sounders though (just push a bitton on the back and it is disconnected), and the unit works very well.

I think that the decision that you have in front of you is similar to mine, so I thought I would give you my reasoning.

Zeeke
19-08-2004, 02:29 PM
if youve got a handheld gps, you can get a cable and connect the matrix to the handheld and the matrix will use the handheld like an aerial and you can save all your spots and marks on the matrix while keeping the handheld free for other uses

Tim

Jeremy87
21-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Probably going to go with the matrix 27