PDA

View Full Version : WHICH GPS

Angha
03-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Looking at getting a GPS but not an expensive one. Any suggestions on which one and where in Brisbane?

blue_rogue
04-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Garmin GPS 72, Best in price range. (up to $300)

caloundra
04-09-2004, 09:26 AM
yep i have a garmin gp72 aswell
simple to use and does everything i need it to

Leo_N.
04-09-2004, 12:04 PM
eTrex is what I've got. Does everything I want and is cheaper than GPS72. Also has controls on side so (after a bit of getting used to) can be used one-handed - this is a big help to me as I drive a tiller steeerer.

Leo_N.
04-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Oh yeah, don't get the Gecko - a mate got one and the battery casing fell apart really quickly.

I got mine from Bias Boating in Townsville. Cheapest prices I could find locally. They have two stores in Brisvegas as well - Tingalpa and Slack's Creek. Not sure if the Ausfish people want me posting their website here, but if you do a google search you will find it easily.

SeaHunt
04-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Got mine at OLBIS at Rocklea (was not a cheap one , but cheap for what it was), try Johnny Appleseed near Annerley or Dick Smith have em, just don't ask them anything about them. :P

Angha
04-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys. We have around a week to go and get one. Those with map are they any better than the one without practically ... apart from the ease of use?

Bowser
04-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I have been looking at GPS's for a while. WSTarted looking at hand helds, but the have draw backs for me. First, by the time you buy cables and accessories they are nearly as dear as the basic units, with price getting up above $400. Second, screen size seems small and hence the ability to get right on the spot or set a drift right is affected. Am now looking at sets like basic garmin units and even Lowrance's basic colour sounder GPS combo which comes in at under over $700. These units have a stack more memory and much lager screens and buttons etc to make use easier. Anyway am going to the boat show to suss out the prices

Bowser
04-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I have been looking at GPS's for a while. Started looking at hand helds, but the have draw backs for me. First, by the time you buy cables and accessories they are nearly as dear as the basic units, with price getting up above $400. Second, screen size seems small and hence the ability to get right on the spot or set a drift right is affected. Am now looking at sets like basic garmin units and even Lowrance's basic colour sounder GPS combo which comes in at under over $700. These units have a stack more memory and much lager screens and buttons etc to make use easier. Anyway am going to the boat show to suss out the prices

TOLGA
04-09-2004, 02:36 PM
I had a Magellen 320 hand held GPS bit older now but a good unit easy to use 7 different screens good battery life on the AA lithium batteries rough price about $400 i think.

moondancer
04-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Angha,

I have a new Garmin GPS 72 for sale - PM me if you're interested.
or call on 0419 781633

Lawry

Cheech
06-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Angha,,,

This is what you need to do. If you can get Lawrys Garmin 72 cheap, then go for it. You do not need anything more. If I had the chance, I would get the 72 from Lawry if could, but just not in a position to upgrade.

Otherwise get a Garmin Etrex. You can get one of these from Whitworths (near the gabba and in the phonebook) for $200.00. They are a basic unit, but very good and very reliable. Don't buy one of those cheaper units that supercheap are selling. Like anything, they seem daunting to use at first, but easy once you get use to them. Practice makes perfect, so at the start have a good play and set waypoints everywhere such as your home, your work, kids school etc. Easier to sort out when you have time rather than when you happen upon an interesting structure you want to quickly set a waypoint for (by the way, marks are called waypoints on your gps).

There are 2 main accessories that go with these that you could use. A cigarette plug power lead, and a lead to connect to your computer. These units go through batteries at a fast rate. I luckily already had a rechargeable battery charger and 8 recyargeable AA batterys, so I don't need the cigarette lead. I just take 4 rechargeables with me. You will need one or the other if you use it a lot, otherwise you will go broke buying batteries. As for the other lead, unless you have programs that you will constantly download from and to (which I know you don't), then don't bother with one. Just get the basic unit.

Ok,,, so now you have a gps, but no marks. Go to one of the marts. The one starting with K ( there is an auto delete on KMART). At the fishing section, if it is the same as my local at Arana Hills, there are a few books that specifically have gps marks. They have marks for the bay. Mud, Green, Peel Islands, as well as Harry Atkins Artificial Reef and a few other locations that I know is in your area of fishing. You don't need to buy them just to get a couple of marks that you are after if you don't want to. Just take a pen and a piece of paper. Also go back about a month ago in this site and in I think it was the saltwater chat section, there are a heap of suggested marks and links to other sites with marks that you should check out. These marks are not necessarily absolutely fabulous, but what they will do is give you some reasonable spots to either fish at, or use as a starting location and sound around (use your sounder to look for irregular bottom structure that may hold fish).

So now you have a gps, and probably 20 or 20 locations to check out within you area. Then take all the really good advice that GES gave you recently.

If you end up in places like Harrys, rouse channel, or other areas that are 10+ metres depth and potentially holding big fish, then don't bother with that lighter gear that you have as you may get a hookup, but will get spooled or busted off. I know that there are people on this site that can successfully get big fish in deep water with 6lb line, but these guys are the exception, and have lots of experience, so I recommend not to try it till you are very confident. That is the right gear for estuary though, and that is the fishing that I suggested it for.

So in this deeper water, I know you have some gear that is probably better suited to off shore and is a bit heavy for the bay. That is ok as you can make it work for you without spending more money until you know exactly what you need. Will not be as good as the right rig, but will do till you know where you will end up fishing and what you will be chasing. The trick is to get some 20lb penn 10x leader material, also available at most of the mart stores, and tie on 4 or 5 metres of it to the end of your heavy main line. To connect, use a double uni knot with 5 turns on the mono and 8 to 10 turns on the braid (if it is braid). More turns for light line and less for heavy. Then just use a sinker straight on the hook (4/0, 5/0 or 6/0), fresh bait and you are set.

By the way, in my opinion, the best rig for the bay is a 4500b Shimano baitrunner, a 7 or 8 foot rod that is rated 6 - 8kg (maybe 10- 15), and line around 20lb. If you go mono then Platapus Platinum, otherwise Fireline braid.

Hope this helps.

Cheech

Cheech
07-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Sorry fishinmishin, I meant you, not GES. Though GES has contributed recently which is why I got mixed up.