PDA

View Full Version : Matrix to hand held GPS

Burley_Boy
16-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Does anyone know the pin configuration for the data input from an external GPS to the Humminbird.
ie which pins for NMEA data in and data out.
Maybe someone has the Matrix to bare ends connector and can measure continuity and let me know, heres hoping anyway. ;)

bungie
17-09-2004, 02:18 AM
https://www.humminbird.com/images/PDF/AS_GR4.pdf

page 2

Fitzy
17-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know the pin configuration for the data input from an external GPS to the Humminbird.
ie which pins for NMEA data in and data out.
Maybe someone has the Matrix to bare ends connector and can measure continuity and let me know, heres hoping anyway. ;)
Got no idea. Am assuming you have the cable with the bare wires. (BLA part # 103610). No instructions with the cable?

Or are you trying to make your own cable/connection? Are $48 RRP

Try ringing the service guys at BLA with your questions.
07 3890 1115

fitz

Burley_Boy
18-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Had the bare ends from my Garmin just sitting there and adding all the GPS points via a PC one night and me being impatient would have connected them on the spot if I knew the pins. Looks like I'll have to place an order and wait for a cable.
cheers

Kerry
18-09-2004, 05:57 PM
NMEA has very little support for waypoints and simply connecting the Handheld to the Matrix really isn't going to do you much good as far as waypoint transfer is concerned.

It probably isn't that simple as you would probably have to go through a PC, download the Garmin using a compatible system to the PC, convert them to whatever format the software that might support the matrix requires then upload them.

Cheers, Kerry.

Zeeke
18-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Might be easier getting the handheld connection cables aswell as the matrix pc connect cables, add the way points via the Matrix software and it'll store it on the matrix itself, the handheld gps virtually just becomes an aerial.. it doesnt really play any part in waypoints.. the matrix holds them

Tim

Burley_Boy
19-09-2004, 07:20 AM
I know what you mean Zeeke. I have the PC conect and have been playing with it a bit. The only reason for the pin config Q was that the GArmin was on the floor with the bare ends and if I'd had the pin config I'd have activated the Matrix using the GPS as the areal just as you say. I'll be much happier having the waypoints on the Matrix and navigating through it rather than farting around with a pissant little screen on the GPS.
Must say I found the PC connect program a bit ordinary or maybe its just my laptop. I don't need anything fancy but for purely entering coordinates and getting an idea of what is where I still found the program cumbersome and clumsy. Maybe I'll get used to it..