PDA

View Full Version : Marine Radio Problems.. Get a newy or repair?

JB
06-01-2005, 12:37 PM
I've got a 27meg marine radio fitted to the trailcraft console, had the radio tested and it appears to receive fine but wont transmit. Its a GME $150 one. I've got no idea if i should get it looked at, or just buy another and fit it. I'm not much of a handyman so its got me stumped. Its only a yr old and i've never used the bloody thing. ??? ???

Chuck it, or will it cost me too much to repair? any ideas?

Jas

Hutcho
06-01-2005, 01:01 PM
What a bugger, never even been used! Surely you can get it fixed for less than $150......?! But i'm no radio technician so I'd be keen to know the responses too.

Cheers,
Hutcho

Spaniard_King
06-01-2005, 01:11 PM
JB,

how did you test it?

My guess is ya mic is buggered :o

Borrow someone elses Mic and re-test.

I had my GME 27mhz repaired by resch electronics. minimum charge was $40. If it's buggered you can go around the corner to Whitworths and get a newby for $155.00.

your call

Garry

mackmauler
06-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Jason, id go with what spaniard king said, had a few mikes fail, undo the screws and check the wiring in there bound to of salted up, I put silicone inside my mikes to stop the salt and they last a while.
rob

whiteman
06-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Chuck it and buy a VHF.

SeaSaw
06-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Jason,

A couple of other things you might want to check. Firstly, radios will recieve with a bit of coat hanger hanging out the back but will not transmit unless it has a proper aerial that is working correctly, so make sure it is not your aerial before you spend money on the set.

Secondly, I had a similar problem with my VHF set and it turned out to be a wiring problem. The set was getting enough amperage to operate and recieve perfectly, but not enough amperage to transmit. They obviously draw a lot more power when transmitting. The problem was caused by a short in a wire that was draining the power.

If you can test your set in someone elses boat, it will help you narrow the problem down to a single component.

Just some other options to check out.

Cheers,

Mark

Fitzy
06-01-2005, 05:39 PM
GME Warranty? 12 months? If its still under warranty they should be paying freight etc. Suss that angle out first IMHO.
I would definately look at VHF if you decide to replace. 27 meg isnt even listened to by many of the coastal stations any longer, too much clutter, too many idiots.

fitz

JB
07-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks all for your hep, its something that has been bothering me for a while but i keep putting it off :-/ . Nothing worse than having safty gear not in order, most of the time is not just my life i'm gambling with ;)

VHF would be a nice option , i dont mind the look of the navman VHF. I'll borrow another mike / arial if i can and check that. If dont work i'll chuck it.

Jason

DavidT
09-01-2005, 06:43 AM
JB,

As crazy as this will sound, i just bought a VHF of E-bay www.ebay.com.au the one i got was this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32630&item=4516516017&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I was going to get a 27meg cause you can still buy them and they appeared to be cheap, how ever after speaking to both Manly Marine rescue and Rayby Bay Marine rescue i reconsidered.

I wouldnt be worried about purchasing things of e-bay either, i bought me Fish Finder / Sounder my Boat and various other goods for me boat of the site and got it for half the cost of a retail outlet, plus the VHF radio i got was from a guy in QLD who appears to be running some sort of mail order business for Fishing equipment from home.

The result, my wallet is happier, my bank account doesnt look drained, and i have a radio that is more listened to by all cost gaurds/marine rescue places then the old 27meg ( I understand they still listen to them but, but how long for?).

Thats just a thought, but if your GME has gone bung up in 12 months, i would get something that is salt water proof (To a degree of course) and Water Proof (To a degree as well, i still havnt tested that part).

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

David.

[EDIT] I thought i would add this search page for your consideration, i only chose this model becuse of te rave reveiws it has received from all over the world, you only have to google it and you will see people have gone nuts over this radio http://search.ebay.com.au/Atlantis-VHF_W0QQsoloctogZ9

whiteman
10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I just ripped my GME 27 Mhz out of the boat and replaced it with an ICOM-402 VHF for $399 (super special price). The GME is going cheap - perfect order only 2 years old.

Heath
10-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Christ!! $399.00, I bought one of them in for a mate a few months back for $180.00 or there abouts :o :o :o

Rip the radio out Jason & bring it around & we'll test it.

redspeckle
11-01-2005, 08:46 AM
JB
I just bought a VHF Navman Radio & Saber marine areail for $345 with 2yrs warranty and still keep the 27 meg radio( handy to still have)
when out offshore or in the bay cannot comprise safety if don't have radio to log in with or if in trouble,you wish the you spend the money at the time what is a price of a life ?or getting you home( with the boat or end up no boat which will cost more than any new radio) something to think about
mitch

whiteman
11-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Christ!! $399.00, I bought one of them in for a mate a few months back for $180.00 or there abouts

That's good for your mate but not all of us are travelling to Japan every week. The 402 is tough to find for under $500 in Oz. I forgot to say the deal included an aerial (usually $90). Great unit and about half the size and twice the build quality of the Navman.

Heath
11-01-2005, 09:32 AM
That's good for your mate but not all of us are travelling to Japan every week.

Not Japan, but Mr USPS does from the USA [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

DavidT
11-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Well just got mine today in the post http://www.uniden.com/product.cfm?product=ATLANTIS250 thats the one i bought, got it for $170 plus $10 frieght, and it comes with full warranty and brand new.

I opted to go for a hand held as i have been in toomay boats where the radios int hem are rusted out and barley work, and it made me think about what i actualy wanted to buy.

You get all the acc with it I.E Belt Clip, Wrist Strap and also a Cradle that you can screw into the wall or onto a solid part of your boat, and the unit locks into place once it is placed in the unit tightly.

I looked at all the brands out there Including Navman & GME, for the pricing none of them interested me, all too expensive and it is not the type of money i want to be giving away.

Cheers,

David.

NeilD
11-01-2005, 05:11 PM
If you have to replace it definitely go VHF. We have both handheld and mounted. The hand held are not in the same league as the ones with a seperate antenna but are convenient for some boats. Even the handheld outperforms 27meg by quite a bit.

Neil