PDA

View Full Version : Computer Program For Storage Of GPS Spots

-spiro-
10-01-2005, 01:56 PM
I haven't yet explored the net for a program for gps information. As well as other info such as moon phase,tide,wind ect. Any one found something along those lines.

NeilD
10-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Spiro

There are a couple of posts in the last day or two about the same topic. I am also interested in what everyone thinks of the programmes available.

Cheers Neil

philip_thomson
10-01-2005, 03:43 PM
personally i just make up an Excel book with my different marks for different areas. put them into areas and the sort them into the reefs with all the neccasary info. pretty easy to manage and is neat.

Ratman
10-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Blokes,

I'm looking at either Fishing Log for windows, OziExplorer or Sea Clear II. Which ever is user more user friendly and easy to install. As soon as Neil (Horse) pulls his finger out and scans a map for me I'll know.

Mick

hoga
10-01-2005, 04:15 PM
hi spiro i use a program called fishinglog it is well worth the 99 bucks keeps all the info you will ever need + some get up dated every year
hoga
ps did you get those marks

Heath
10-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I just have an excel spreadsheet that I use for my Fishing log. Can add info as I see fit EG - Recently added fields for Maori Fishing Calander info. I was able to input the data for past trips to see how it all lined up.

For GPS info, you want it in a medium that you can send and receive straight from GPS. Does ####### do this?

I use Oziexplorer & keep my waypoints in a txt file that can be loaded into Ozi & sent straight to the GPS. I also keep that txt file in several locations. EG Work.

qcr
11-01-2005, 02:59 AM
I use EasyGPS it is a free download off the web you can store waypionts transfer them to the GPS create routes etc. Just make sure you configure it to your particular GPS
I think the site is www.easygps.com anyway you will get to it via Google
Hope this helps

dazza
11-01-2005, 04:28 AM
hi spiro,
i have been using mapsource, very easy to use. can down and upload marks, has a map that displays marks etc.
it is very easy to use
cheers
dazza

Kerry
11-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Most of the GPS manufacturer based software is propriety and generally only supports specific manufacturers models.

There are quite a few shareware systems available that range from straight waypoint/route management to mapping "type" systems. Then there are a wide range of propriety generic (generally mapping) systems, which will cost some $$'s depending on the system and the requirements.

Not all shareware or propriety systems will support all makes/models so knowing what make/model you want to support is where to start.

Cheers, Kerry.

Ebs
11-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi Spiro,
I use Fishing Log by Ken Fox. $99 investment well worth the money. Not only stores your gps marks etc, use it as a trip results database. Also dislpays in a mapping format. Updates are $25/year. IMO its quite simple to use.
Regs,
Mick

NeilD
11-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Would any of these systems operate as a cheap chart plotter ie attach to lap top to show current position, DTG to waypoint etc?

Neil

Lucky_Phill
12-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I have seen Ken Fox'es Fishing Log in action, very user friendly and comprehensive.

Have now purchased a 172C Garmin and will use it's own software to facilitate the GPS and Route storage. #This unit and it's accessories will allow me to remove the Data Card and download directly onto my PC at home, and upload.

There is a software program around called, " Waypoint Manager ". not sure wher ya get it, but BIAS boating access, told me about it.

Looking forward to laying with this unit !

Cheers #Phill

dfox
12-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Chris -just send me all your hard earned locations and il see there loaded into a program ;D ;D ;D

subzero
13-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Gidday Phill, that would be Garmin's own Trip and Waypoint Manager. Are you sure it didnt come with your package?

If you intend in using it in your car at all via a laptop or PDA, (I dont know if your model can interface with other unit's), you can download free from Garmins web site the NRoute software that will enable your computer to give you turn by turn spoken voice directions http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=575 using compatable software such as City Navigator, just type in a street address and it will take you straight there telling you how to go at each turn. (Just trying to track down a copy of City Navigator myself at the moment so if anyone has it and wants to sell the second half of their registration I would be a very happy chappy)
Cheers Lloyd

davo
13-01-2005, 07:44 AM
I run EasyGPS to directly upload and down load from my GPS.
I have Fishing Log which can communcate with Easy GPs so there is no manual entry of waypoints.

Check out www.gpsinformation.net. is has heaps of info.
There is also Trackmaker which is free, it enable you to scan maps in a go from there.

The web site also mentions how to make your own gps maps suited to Garmin.

-spiro-
17-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Foxy i'll send mine to you if send yours to me ;D.
I might be getting abit of raw deal there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks fella's i will have a look into them.

blue_rogue
18-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Who is going to put this program on the internet so we can all have it.....

Just Joking, Were can you buy it

Morlers
18-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Can anyone suggest a good method for waypoint management and the shortnaming of waypoints? Is it better to use alpha (ie RYANS, ARCHCL etc), alpha/numeric (ie 18MIL, 2MILE etc) or numeric (ie HB0106, BUN042 etc) and keep printout handy foreasy selection? My Garmin 126 only allows six characters. The full name can always be placed in the comments field but only visible once waypoint is selected.

Thanks

:) :)

Morlers