PDA

View Full Version : OFFSHORE COMMUNICATION

dfox
07-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Lately ive been experimenting with the long range areials for mobile phones on the cdma system, for a total out lay less then $150 ive found i can ring home from more then 100ks out to sea. The system ive got is basic and works really well. I tried it out from innisfail over christmas and still had good reception 90 miles from the tower, and yesterday i was able to make phone calls from the shelf off of the hards.
The convienance and safety issues make this system a worth while addition to most offshore fisho's.
heres some pics of the set up-

This is the basic phone with a clip on areial adaptor, some phones have a plug in type fitting

dfox
07-02-2005, 11:16 AM
This is it mounted on the phone

dfox
07-02-2005, 11:19 AM
This is the phone connected to the areial, just mount the areial on your canopy or hold it up, the higher the better...foxy

dfox
07-02-2005, 11:22 AM
ITS a simple as that, and you can contact your family if fishing plans change, or they can contact you, or as most might do turn it off so no-one can interupt your fishing, lol. ;D ;D ;D...foxy

NeilD
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Sounds great. I was wondering what to do when the seaphone system is finished and we aew out on the reef. I will certainly look into it.

Cheers Neil

nofrills
07-02-2005, 05:13 PM
hey foxy

where did you buy the set up from.im about to get a new one this week cause the old one just died so this is perfect timing .

thanx scott

dfox
07-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I got the gear when i was in townsville scott, but i saw the aerials in northside desiel spares at burpengary for a hundred bucks the other day, ive fitted the car up as well for out west pig shooting, so you can ring me when im out there and the spaniards are on mate, lol...foxy

adamleah
07-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Yep I have seen this in action and have used this as a solid reason for my missus letting me go to 1770 with foxy... ....

"Yes Honey you can phone me on Daves phone if the baby is coming out :o :o"

spinner
08-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Hi D Fox,
Do you know if you can get a long range arial for mobile phones on the digital system or are they only for CDMA?
Reggy

dfox
08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Only know of cdma ones mate ???

Cheech
08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Another great Foxy invention. I just rigged up my double muffs tonight. Thanks for that tip. What next?

caveman
09-02-2005, 04:23 PM
foxy can you give me the tecnical info on the arial so i can go have a look for them

dfox
09-02-2005, 06:02 PM
gary- theres not much on the packaging info wise, but it says its a 9dB mobile dual band antenna with rg 58 cable, australian made, brand is 'saber' unicom santronic. hope thats of some help mate. it also appears to suit both digital and cdma so that may answer reggys question...foxy

caloundra
11-02-2005, 09:19 AM
foxy what will you think of next??
maybe we need a new chat called "foxys ideas"
how does the CDMA go around brissy looking at phones at the moment and the guy from a phone shop said they have better coverage around rural areas but have more black spots around towns any truith or just a typical salesman crap.

Daniel

dfox
11-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Havnt noticed any difference in my cdma around town compared to my old digital phone ...foxy

Tracker
12-02-2005, 05:26 AM
we cary both digital and cdma .both work in town but sometimes the digital works where the cdma doesnt and visaversa. both a pia.

NQCairns
12-02-2005, 05:26 AM
Top effort dfox, makes a strong case to go cdma just for your option!
To relay some old and third hand info on digital networks, I was told the range of the transmit data 'spike' was something in the order of 50km (I think? might have been more ::), someone may know for sure)at best because of the speed of light and spike length etc. Still worth trying digital with Dfox's gear then changing to cdma if not happy.
Just a great idea! Another aerial on the boat!!

Kerry
12-02-2005, 03:05 PM
CDMA certainly has it all over digital and as far as boats are concerned the trick is to buy one in the first place that actually is supported with the equiv of a car kit, including the external antenna capability and actually in CDMA these are not all that common, not like standard GSM anyway.

CDMA depending on the availability of coverage has quite good coverage to sea, 90nm AT TIMES but don't expect that ALL THE TIME.

In any case as far as offshore communication is concerned it certainly shouldn't be treated as a primary communication device in any way, shape or form.

Mobile phones of any type are simply not trackable like a standard radio signal be it VHF or HF.

Cheers, Kerry.

fsh00
12-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I travel 75% of the australian coast (merchant seaman) and wouldn't go any where near a digital when on the water, there nothing but a pain in the butt, droping in and out switching towers ect >:( ; , CDMA is the only way to go whilst out at sea. ;)