PDA

View Full Version : GPS 72 TRANSFER DATA FROM GPS TO PC

redspeckle
12-04-2005, 03:38 PM
I looking into garmin web site( a bit[smiley=dunce.gif]) how to transfer data like sercet special spot gps mark waypoint from a gps 72 model hand held to own pc and put save into a file then later put on a on a disk
this would save me a lot typing on the [smiley=computer.gif]
Somebody out their might know how to do it

Mitch
Go not so mighty [smiley=cowboy.gif] after weekend performance always next week

qcr
13-04-2005, 04:07 AM
www.easygps.com
its a free download

Kerry
13-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Heaps of freeware around to do this, EasyGPS works fine. Just need to source or make a serial cable, if you already have a power/data cable then the wires already exist and just need a 9 pin DB serial or you can buy power/data or just straight data cables already fully rigged.

Cheers, Kerry.

DaneCross
13-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Mitch,
I'd be interested to hear how you go with this, I have the same model gps ;)
Dane

Goodoochaser
13-04-2005, 02:37 PM
GPSTRACKMAKER is another program that is available on the net, it supports most of the popular makes of GPSs that are made, and you can import maps or pictures into it as a background. if you check the Garmin site I seem to think you can download the world map, you may then be able to load this into Trackmaker to give you a basic coastline, major centres and main roads, I will try to include an example from Mapsource which is the Garmin program but the file may be to big.
OK I got it, dotted line is part of the course I took while fishing the area, the beauty of doing it this way is you can see where you have been and save it, then load it back for future trips.
As I said this is from the Garmin Mapsource program not a freebie, but I think you can do similar things with the free downloads.
Cheers
Howard

Heath
13-04-2005, 02:59 PM
For your GPS DC, this fella would have to be the cheapest.

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/cables.htm

For your GPS, a PWR/DATA cable will set you back $30.00. You wouldn't be able to buy just the cable for that!!!

DaneCross
14-04-2005, 11:38 AM
You wouldn't be able to buy just the cable for that!!!

LoL Heath ;D Cheers.
My computer doesn't have a 9 pin serial port, can you get adaptors??
Dane

Heath
14-04-2005, 12:52 PM
what! What heap of junk do you own ;)

A serial to USB adapter should work.

Burley_Boy
15-04-2005, 04:24 PM
The garmin plug is available from a DIY mob for about $9 for 2 from memory. Sold as "shareware" pay after you get. Known as pfranc..... I'm pretty sure GPS OZ is a reseller via this project as well. Works fine.

redspeckle
15-04-2005, 05:07 PM
DC & DEVOCEAN downloaded the program called Easy GPS I connected the interface cable from my gps to my pc [smiley=computer.gif] via the com port I then opened the program and selected the gps i wanted to use in my case was the Garmin 72 All i had to do then was turn on my gps and hey presto [smiley=thumbsup.gif] all my fishing waypoints were transferred to my pc where i could burn them onto disk for safe keeping Easy!!
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] to qcr & kerry for this information still be hand tpying all the wayspoints still
Mitch Go the mighty [smiley=cowboy.gif]in2005

Fishin_Dan
16-04-2005, 03:32 AM
hey presto [smiley=thumbsup.gif] all my fishing waypoints were transferred to my pc where i could burn them onto disk for safe keeping Easy!![smiley=cowboy.gif]in2005

So it would also be easy for you to post them up on here for everyone.... ;D :-X he he he

Goodoochaser
16-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Why not have a board on this site with fishing locations as gps cordinates, I'm sure there are people out there willing to share some locations, perhaps it could include the down loaded file for direct loading into the gps, not sure if that is possible, (can a administrater advise?) but the files are not big, most of the MPS files I store are around 30 kb then Redspeckle wouldn't have to type them in ?
Howard.

redspeckle
17-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Well Fishin_Dan
For a start i wouldn't give up my secret fishing spots(Gps waypoints) up its taken me years thorugh out the bay and recently offshore to get theses spots thorugh fishing hard ache
2ndly i am mad cowboys supporter
i see some poeple take things out of context& mix up what someone said eg
on 9:07pm on 14th Apr, Redspeckle wrote:hey presto [smiley=thumbsup.gif] all my fishing waypoints were transferred to my pc where i could burn them onto disk for safe keeping Easy!! [smiley=cowboy.gif]in2005
this is what i wrote
Posted by: Redspeckle Posted on: 9:07pm on 14th Apr
DC & DEVOCEAN downloaded the program called Easy GPS I connected the interface cable from my gps to my pc [smiley=computer.gif] via the com port I then opened the program and selected the gps i wanted to use in my case was the Garmin 72 All i had to do then was turn on my gps and hey presto [smiley=thumbsup.gif] all my fishing waypoints were transferred to my pc where i could burn them onto disk for safe keeping Easy!!
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]to qcr & kerry for this information still be hand tpying all the wayspoints still
Mitch Go the mighty [smiley=cowboy.gif] in2005
all i am trying to do is help other people on this post from what i just learnt and pass it on thats what were all here for to learn stuff from others aren't we
mitch

Burley_Boy
17-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Don't think that will happen Howard ;)