PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird or similar colour sounder/gps

boatboy50
15-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi All,

Im not all that familiar with the electronics side of things, so would like to get some opinions.

Im upgrading my depth sounder, and would like to replace it with something like a Humminbird Matrix 87CX GPS/Sounder combo, or maybe just a sounder alone unit.

Id like some opinions on this unit, or other Humminbird stuff, or even similar competing units (including similar prices), such as Lowrance, Garmin or Navman units, including comments on why other units may be better than the humminbird.

Ill probably buy it from the US direct for the first time. Any comments on this also appreciated. I realise I will forego warranty in OZ, but am not sure on the charts or whether i will need to upgrade them. I feel the savings are far too good to go past.

Thanks in advance guys,

Regards

Darren

SharkBait
15-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Darren,
I have just purchased a Matrix 67 the USA with a Navionics chart for Sth East Qld area. I have saved approx 40 percent on Aust Prices. It hasnt arrived yet but has hit Aussie shores so all is looking good so far the service from the Company in the USA has been top rate.
Have a look see at www.cascade.gps.com
Mark Cookson - sales
very very impressed so far
Cheers
Norm

Burley_Boy
16-06-2005, 03:15 PM
I would seriously consider having the sounder and GPS/Plotter separate. Assuming you have the space and the cash etc. Worth considering anyway.

I'm sure some other people have opinions on the best colour unit for the money, I currently use a B&W Matrix 37X.
My last two units both had issues that were fixed under warranty. The matrix was replaced after the second visit to BLA service.

bazzaman
18-06-2005, 03:03 AM
I just purchased a 272c chart plotter from the states and received a good saving. Customs decided i hadnt paid enough for the unit so i had to fork out another $67 (pricks) So just check what its goin to cost u in customs and i also was very happy with the service from the states. They had tracking for the gps which was an added bonus.

Cheers

Shane