PDA

View Full Version : CMAP Upgrade is a SCAM

Barrymundi
09-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Watch the scamming mongrels.

I have a C-Map electronic chart from Mackay to Lucinda that I purchased about 18 months ago.

When I purchased it the “Salesman” advised me when the Maps were upgraded to include the Green Zones it would be an easy update of the Electronic Chart for a few dollars.

Finally the Electronic C-Map Charts are updated,

I emailed the store I purchased the Chart from
“Yes, we should have our on site C_ Map programmer working today with all the
new C-map technology .

Upgrades are $85 for NT+ standard and $122 for the NT+ wide cards. All map areas have been altered, so you need to see what the new areas are.”

BUT,when I went to pick the card up.....
they have changed the regions and do not update Mackay to Lucinda. NT+. So now pay $240 to trade in old Electronic Chart that covers Darwin to somewhere south or buy a new chart from Bowen to Tulley and keep the old one.

Talk about getting the Pineapple, GBRMPA grow the Pineapple, C-MAP insert it and the local Electronics store jams it home. The salesman response, who also happened to be a candidate at the recent election for the Fishing Party, was to send an email to GBRMPA and CMAP, and pay me the money for your upgrade.

End result I am not paying $240 more for something I already paid $380 for 18 months ago. If I accidentally fish a Green Zone, so what, I am sick of it.

Al

Daintreeboy
09-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I actually turn the zones and a few other things off in the options menu with my dad's plotter. I already know where the closed sections are. If I do happen to plan a fish close to a Green Zone, I thouroughly check out the latest boundaries and make absolutely sure I stay away from them, no worries. I guess we are a bit spoilt up this way when we can allow another km or two (actually I fish completely open reefs most of the time) to be sure. Worth some thought as it will save you some dollars on a new cmap or a fine.
Cheers, Mark

peterbo3
09-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Mate,
Agree with the flak over the C-Map scam. I have Qld East Coast on the Raymarine but I won't be upgrading. I fish SE of Mackay-Prudhoe Is area. There is a big green area E of Prudhoe but if GBRMPA are too tight to buoy the boundaries then I am too tight to upgrade my C-Map. The big patrol boat that works out of Mackay doesn't like shallow water at night. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Cyclone
10-06-2005, 05:31 AM
Al couldn't agree more about C-Map. I brought a new plotter 10 months ago and settled on a Garmin, the salesman pointed out that because Garmin produce thier own software they don't have to rely on another company to update software. I'm glad I did now as I just purchased the bluechart upgrade for $139:00 this new chart covers from Herveybay to Mornington Island and has all the new reef zones displayed. good value I think considering the old chart only covered Lucinda to Cape Melville. I know this dosn't help your cause but I think other buyers need to have some of the pitfalls of C-Map pointed out. Cheers Andrew

whiteman
10-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Big Al

Someone one day is gunna release a marine mapping system where we buy the base map and, using PC technology like MapInfo for Dummies, we can overlay our own layers and load them back into the chartplotter. This person will make a KILLING! You can already do this on a PC. We'll be able to swap layers and do all those wonderful things open systems was designed for.

"DINOSAUR" was the first company to dictate terms to users, while IBM and Apple nearly went the same way using similar tactics. The C-Map people and their dealers think they've got us by the wallet but we'll have the last laugh.

Tracker
11-06-2005, 04:54 PM
check out this site should work for garmin users.if any one can work it out.
http://gps.chrisb.org/en/main.htm

gif
13-06-2005, 09:24 PM
It seems that C-Map management were caught in a price war / features war with Garmin. So then they made some changes to their packages to match the competition and put no thought into those on the upgrade route.

So some owners are caught in the middle.

And C-Map probably realizes that they screwed up.

Watch out for a very special offer to be announced in about a week – after the Airlie Boat show. Sound like this will be a real “kiss and make up offer”

Well I think its a great offer ( nit just BS) but I was sworn to secrecy.

Hope this helps

Gary

Barrymundi
14-06-2005, 03:12 AM
I have been in contact with CMAP.

You may be correct Gary.

Al

whiteman
15-06-2005, 06:32 AM
You will notice on the CMAP Australia web site that their product links don't work.

I caught a talk on Saturday morning radio by the local identity who flogs Navman and CMAP and he was trying to lay the blame on CMAP rather than his own stupidity of talking about an upgrade path for which he had no responsibility or information, trying to protect sales of his products and now the chickens come home to roost. Methinks he'd make a great politician (shame he can't get the votes). Someone is TSV must have put some heat on him last week - doesn't sound like you Al!

Unless CMAP fix this problem immediately, they will completely alienate their existing customer base.

Barrymundi
15-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Who me ?

Burley_Boy
16-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Hmm I have a garmin hooked up to my Matrix37. Wonder if I can actually load a map or create a map that views on the matrix?

whiteman
21-06-2005, 09:16 AM
There seems to be new prices announced at the weekend which are a lot cheaper. But do you really get value for money?

Barrymundi
21-06-2005, 12:56 PM
NO

propdinger
21-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Watch out for a very special offer to be announced in about a week – after the Airlie Boat show. #Sound like this will be a real “kiss and make up offer”

Well I think its a great offer ( nit just BS) # but I was sworn to secrecy. #

Hope this helps

Gary

well can we know what this special offer is as i asked a local marine shop and they knew nothing of it

thanks
jeff

whiteman
22-06-2005, 09:20 AM
It was along the lines of $89 to upgrade your chart with the new zones or $160 to get a larger area chart. Don't quote me on the prices as I was driving at the time of the radio report and I'm using a fading memory.

From reports, you get green lines to represent all zones (pink, green, yellow, etc) and you have to move the cursor to get a number which matches the GBRMPA zone. Seems a tad basic for my wallet.

And still nothing on their web site.

Barrymundi
22-06-2005, 12:49 PM
$150 plus GST plus $11 freight for the Wide Upgrade.

Not happy, buy better than the $240 to $250 initially