PDA

View Full Version : Matrix 12

ballast
02-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Looking to replace my Lowrance 75 which has bitten the dust.
Trying to keep below $400. Lowrance range looked at X51 at around $330. Then had a look at Matrix 12 for around $350. First impression was it looked a better unit and i liked the idea of adding the GPS aerial later for aorund $250.
Does anyone have experience with either brand.

Most of my fishing is fairly close to shore or in the dams. So I don't think I need anything more expensive than this.

Thanks in advance, Brad.

gogecko
11-08-2005, 06:15 AM
I just ordered the Matrix 17 from
http://www.cascademarinenavigation.com/catalog198450.html
for us162 plus us37 postage. I did lots of research, and I reckon they are top value for money.

The matrix system looks real good. I like the option of adding gps later. USA prices are much better, as long as you understand they will only read in feet and degrees farenhiet.

5 inch screen got me.Extra pixels on the 17 is a better deal than the 12 for the money. Good luck.

ballast
12-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the information gogoecko.

That does seem like a good price. Is that about $250 aus or did I stuff up the math? How long for delivery? So are you saying you can't switch from feet to metres on the US models?

Thanks again for the feedback.

JohnWF
12-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Have you checked out the Humminbird 565 model (on Ebay for $350 or you can buy from cabelas for $US199 which is about $A320 incl freight if you do not pay Customs Duty). Have very good resolution at 640 V pixels. Are only single frequency of 200 kHz but that is all you need in shallow-ish water. Not gps compatible though.

gogecko
13-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Yes thats about au$250. This unit sells for $450-500 in shops locally, or $310-340 on ebay.They deliver in 5 business days and give you a tracking number for the couriers website.

US models cannot be changed from reading in feet. Only international models have the option of metric, and you cant buy these from the usa.

Some people get hit with 10% gst and 5% import duty, but many dont. It seems hit and miss.

My unit should arrive Monday. You can PM me if you want to know any more.

rajawolf
13-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Some people get hit with 10% gst and 5% import duty, but many dont. It seems hit and miss.

If you have it posted via USPS - Australia post..then u can buy items overseas to the value of $1000.00.

If you use other means of transporting the goods then you can only buy items up to $250.00 before duty and GST is charged.

Fitzy
18-08-2005, 09:23 AM
The Matrix are great units. Just realise that if you buy from USA into Oz, you get less warranty & you wont be able to get any support from Oz. The export models have more options that the US models.
If something goes wrong with your unit you will have to send it back to the country of purchase for warranty claims or service work.

Cheers,

Fitzy..