PDA

View Full Version : Furuno GP-32 (GPS) and EMJAY?

Tony_N
28-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Anybody got an opinion on this unit? (or of any advantages of going to the GP-37?)

I saw one working the other day and it made the Navman basic model I have been using loook like a toy. Smithy, saw your comment re the Garmin /Navman via another thread and have to say that I'd take the Garmin handheld in front of the Navman any day particularly for direction finding in highway mode.

Also haven't been able to get EMJAY up on my machine - have they folded?

thanks

Tony

Brejen
28-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Tony I have the GP-32 it was in the boat when brought it and have to say it's a great unit. Very easy to use once acustomed to it, and is easy to read. I'm very happy with mine and if i was upgrading or replacing would have to look at the next model up. Are you looking at getting one or just looking around at different models?
Brett

banshee
28-08-2005, 05:43 PM
G'day Tony,Matt (Emjay)has sold up and is now the owner of Cullburra Beach bait and tackle and is enjoying a less stressfull lifestyle.

Tony_N
28-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Brejen - ooooops I've gone off without checking my facts -- the machine I saw was the 1640 which is a much more expensive item. I need to sort out what it can do that the GP-32 can't.(for eg I dont need the C-map facility)

G'day Banshee - can't say i blame him - though he could have waited until i got this sorted first

cheers

Tony

-spiro-
29-08-2005, 11:29 AM
i have a GP-32 in my rig. Works well and easy to use 8-)

Tony_N
29-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Brejen and Spiro - the feature that appealed to me about the 1640 ( even though I thought it was the GP-32) was that in "trackplot" mode there was a projected beam on the screen that indicated the boat's current direction. This made it much easier to hit the mark exactly for a drop/drift. does the 32 have this function? Also is the 4.5" screen a bit difficult to read?

Brejen, you said that you were looking to upgrade - what are you thinking to upgrade to after using the 32?

thanks

Tony

MOZ
29-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Tony_N

I also have a GP32. I find it a good unit with double the waypoint storage of similar priced units.

Only beef I have is when wanting to Zoom in or out , you need to press the Menu button then the Ent button then up or down to zoom in or out.

Should have a Zoom in or out button. One touch instead of 3.

Otherwise great.

MOZ

Tony_N
29-08-2005, 02:30 PM
thanks for the replies fellas

I've been looking around and it looks like I have secured a 2nd hand 1640 with 12 months warranty remaining for $750. Very happy camper.

Tony

Brejen
29-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Sorry Tony, you've misunderstood me. What i was saying is that if i was going to upgrade or replace would deffinately look at the next model up. But very happy with mine and have started now to really be able to use and understand it. Tony I think the bit about Trackplot is the same as plotter display on the 32. Mate re the screen size i personally don't have a problem with it and can usually read it from most spots in the boat. Mate also what is the 1640 unit.

Moz have gotton used to that part of the unit but as you say would be little easier if only one button for sure.
Brett

Tony_N
30-08-2005, 11:57 AM
G,day Brejen

Mate, the 1640F has a chart plotter and sounder built in - has a bigger screen than the 32, can upload and download data by PC, and from what I can see, some other features that are not available on the 32.

I am already using a Furuno 600L sounder so the one in the GPS will function as a backup if needed (can simply plug in to the same transducer if the primary unit packs it in). I dont need the chart plotter at the moment - but maybe in the future? (I reckon it might be handy up around all those inlets at Hinchinbrook for example - or I could use it to follow my local 42 fathom line)

The best info I could get from Taylors marine is that the 32 didn't have the directional forward plotting thats in the 1640F that I was looking for

The machine is now superceded (I think by the 1650 which is a colour unit - not needed by me which retails at about $2400). This was the initial price of the 1640F - but I believe that you could get them for about $1900 a few months ago as they were being phased out. I'm happy with the $750 I'm paying for mine even though it has had 3 or 4 outings.

some info on the machine:

http://www.taylormarine.com.au/main.cfm?page=productdetail&pid=60&brandid=1&catid=10&section=Electronics

cheers

Tony

banshee
30-08-2005, 12:56 PM
"....or I could use it to follow my local 42 fathom line."

.....Nothing to see out there......no fish out there......definately don't go out there.

Tony_N
30-08-2005, 01:25 PM
;D - except for your boat, mate!

Brejen
31-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Tony had a look at the Furuno site last night and at the 1650 manual, Good looking unit. I presume that yours is the same only a little older and not colour but with nearly the same features. From what i could see there is a difference in screen displays but would have to expect that from a unit that is far more expensive and more features. MAte she's a good looking unit, enjoy..and sound as tho it was a great buy.

Also what your opion on the 600L sounder is that the colour one. Have been looking at the Lowrence 107CDF cause of the larger pixel count, but would love to keep the unit the same make.

Brett

Tony_N
31-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey Brejen

Yeh mate it does seem to be the B&W version of the 1650. #Older, but not much - first brought out in 2002. #The feature that I'm most excited about seems to be called the Course Vector which on the screen sends a line in front of your heading. It just makes putting the boat directly on a mark such a breeze. #I haven't discovered whether that feature #is on the GP-32 or not. #s'pose it doesn't matter now #- I'm committed to the 1640 :)

About the sounder- It is the low-end colour one and I love itt- still on a learning curve with it and don't know anything about other machines to make a comparison. Everybody i know with Furuno stuff is tickled pink with it and I wouldn't swap it for anything except maybe for the bigger Furuno - but I haven't fished off the continental shelf to need its power. Bought it on the best advice I could find locally and on this site. #Banshee who really knows his stuff was instrumental in the final decision. BIG features #are that the machine is repairable if it breaks down, Furuno make professional equipment and Taylor Marine have a good rep.

cheers

Tony