PDA

View Full Version : 27 Meg Problem

BLOCKER
08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I have a GME 27 meg radio fitted to my boat. It was already installed when I got it a few months back. The radio has power to it, the transmit light operates when the mic button is depressed and the receive light is on. The problem is I have no squelch when you adjust the control. Is it worth getting it looked at or am I better off replacing it as I see them on sale for around $150.00. Also if I do replace the radio will my antenna need to be replaced?

Blocker

magik
08-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey blocker

No the antenna will not need to be replaced nor the wiring to it most likely. Are you sure you have any signal coming out of the speakers if nothings comes out regardless of range it'll be a sound problem such as a busted speaker loose wiring or a dodgy volume control knob. Any good electronics shop (and i don't mean dick smiths ;D) should be able to fix this for well under 50 dollars :). If you have transmitions coming through and it actually is the squelch that's faulty, it could be either dry/broken knobs contacts. Or could be a problem on the pcb (printed circuit board) Where the components are usually cheap but can be difficault to find and would probabley cost between 20 to 70 dollars depending on how quickly it is found and hope thats it's not a chip problem. :-?

Hope this helps, i'm not an electronics guru but have a reasonable understanding with it due to being a sparky who dabbles a bit in the field. I could have a look at it for you but would only be able to do basic testing :-/, and fix it if it was fairly simple but i don't have the equipment to go much further than that ;)

Good luck

Paul 0402 165 783

Streaker
08-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Blocker
it depends on what sort of fishing you do. If it's offshore I would buy a VHF and not bother with the 27meg. If you decide to fix it or replace it with a 27 meg you should not have to get a new ariel.
Wayne

Wear_the_fox_hat
08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Blocker,
Check that the ISC light is off. The button for this is in the bottom right hand corner of the set. This is for noise suppression. If you decide to get a new set, get a VHF. I only keep a 27meg in my boat because that's all a couple of mates have in theirs. They are basically a toy. I use VHF all the time as it has a far greater range & doesn't have areas where you can't contact anyone. A lot safer in times of need. It also pays to get a license when running VHF. Your local VMR should do courses on this from time to time.

Regards,
WTFH

BLOCKER
08-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks very much for the advice. I will check a few of these out and hopefully will be a nice simple fix or just me not used to the radio. I hope to invest shortly in a VHF as I would like to go a bit further out with this boat. Thanks again and as always everyone is more than helpful.

Blocker.

ShaneJ
08-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi mate, if you cant get it working with the checks pointed out above, I can have a look at it for you if you like. Radio comms is my game :)

BLOCKER
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
ShaneJ,
Thanks I will give it a go myself and then if I get stuck will let you know. I am up at Caboolture.

Blocker

ShaneJ
08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
No problem. I dont know if you come down this way at all, but i'm at Boondall.

westie
08-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Whitworths are selling GME Electrophone 27 mg for $99 saw them at Kawana Today not sure if it is all stores but might be worth a call