PDA

View Full Version : Combined GPS/Sounder

chanquetas
09-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Im chasing a combined unit for the kayak. I need a through-hull transducer for the sounder, and an inbuilt antenna for the GPS. Whitworths suggested the Navman 5110 as the cheapest way to do this in one unit. Basically Im in the dark here, I dont know the quality of the Navman, and I dont know what else is available.
The Navman looked fine to me, not too large, removable cables, inbuilt antenna, and pretty simple. Also the price is below $1000, which is good. I can mount a 12V motorcycle battery inside the hull no problem, and run the cables through the hull.
Any thoughts from the watery Brains Trust that is Ausfish?

ShaneJ
09-10-2005, 06:35 PM
What about a Garmin GPSMAP178C? Can also be supplied with a through hull transducer.

chanquetas
10-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Shane, Good call mate. I reckon the Garmin looks pretty good too. Actually, from what I can gather the 5110 that Whitworths tried to sell me is a Chartplotter only. >:(

The GPSMAP178 (b&w version) I see around for about $800, so its my first and only choice at the moment, unless someone has some more suggestions.

revs57
10-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Go the Garmin Chanquetas, I had a navman GPS unit for a couple of years in our old tinnie...not impressed, slow to reconfigure position and not as easy as others to change screens and it seems those who use them reckon the Garmin blue chart has it over the others at the moment judging but the threads on ausfish over the past month or so...so much so we picked up the 172C for our new boat...the chartography is seemless and processing speed is very good too...I can't wait to check it out when we finish the new rig

Rhys

Owen
10-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Chanquetas,
I'll be gettinga Garmin GPSMAP 178C in about a month when I get back from holidays.
I've decided to swallow my pride and buy it from the USA. Much as I hate sending money overseas it is the difference between getting what I want and settling for what I can afford.
It'll cost me under $1000 Aus landed or a little over if I get a map card at the same time.
They seem to be $1500 - 1600 here :(
I'll put up a post with my thoughts on it when I get it.
Of course I won't have experience with another unit to compare with, but if I think it's crap I'll say so ;)

cheers,
Owen

chanquetas
10-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Owen, Who are you buying that from?

ShaneJ
10-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Just remember that if they catch you bringing it in, you will be forced to pay import duties and taxes. If so, your final price wont be much/if any cheaper than local retail.

gavsgonefishing
10-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Just been through the excercise from o/s. If they send it to your door not a problem with taxes etc. May be a prob if sent to a po box or post office. why? its got me stuffed

ShaneJ
10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I think it depends on how busy they are the day your goods come in. I buy alot of DVD's from OS and some times i'm made to pay the taxes and some times the goods dont get picked up. I guess it depends how lucky you are.

Bowser
10-10-2005, 01:04 PM
For general information, there are no Duties on GPS sounders coming into the country althaough you may have to pay GST if the unit is assessed. A lot depends on the carrier your shipper uses and how it is handled coming in. There are different rules for frieght carriers and for Australia Post. I bought a Lowrance from the US and it worked out roughly 2/3rds the price and I paid the GST. Soemone is making too much money from the products in Oz.

snapattack
10-10-2005, 01:34 PM
What about this?

www.graysonline.com.au/lot.asp?LOT_ID=504380

chanquetas
10-10-2005, 07:11 PM
OK. ShaneJ raised a good point. However, I have bought a LOT of CDs (Im a big music fan) from the internet and never had a problem, never had to pay GST or duties or whatever it is that you may have to pay. Not sure if this is the same as buying electronics. Perhaps they dont care about CDs/DVDs etc.

Im also a fan of good warranties, and usually purchase extended warranties for items when they are available. Some companies have international warranties and its possible they honour them, but I dont know, I have no experience with the companies in question - Navman, Lowrance, Garmin etc.

Also, snapattack, that item looks good, but again I am always hesitant without a warranty, and like to purchase items new if I can afford it. Appreciate the link though mate....Cheers.

So, thanks for all the advice blokes, I think I may have my missus' approval of a GPSMAP178.

BUT:

Is there any reason we shouldn't be buying seperate units instead and save a couple of hundred dollars???

A sounder for about $200 to $300 and a handheld GPS for about $200, and its all sorted. What advantage would a combined unit offer, apart from the one power supply? Can it do more than the sum of its parts?

Again all thoughts much appreciated!
Jake

ShaneJ
10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
The combined units are mainly just neater. One thing they can do is: like a standalone GPS when you get to a fishing spot you can mark that spot on your GPS, but along with the location info extra info like depth can also be stored.

Chanquetas, If your serious about getting a Garmin product let me know and i'll get you a good price. I'm not sure if you can get a off the shelf package with a through hull transducer, but I should be able to arrange something for you.

fishman7
11-10-2005, 05:56 AM
hi chanquetas
i have a navman 5110 its only a chart plotter unless they do it as a sounder to ?.sorry i cant help with the combined units i dont know muck about them.shane haves some good points its sounds like the garmin is the way to go.how deep will u be going.
cheers
danny

fishman7
11-10-2005, 05:59 AM
hi
does this sound any good but u have to get a hand held gps
sv-35 underwater colour camera 320 line resolution lcd monitor. reaches depths of up to 35 metres and angles ranging up to 83 degrees horizontal and 60 degrees vertical for optimum viewing.
additional features
9 in built white led lights for day and night
recargeable 12 volt high quality sealed lead acid battery
comes with connection for vcr and handicam recording
optional camera holder for added visual control
cheers
danny

snapattack
11-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Look closely Chanquetas. The item is new and has a two year warranty. A mate bought one from here 12 months ago and there was a small warranty issue and it was repaired no problems.

Snap

OK. ShaneJ raised a good point. However, I have bought a LOT of CDs (Im a big music fan) from the internet and never had a problem, never had to pay GST or duties or whatever it is that you may have to pay. Not sure if this is the same as buying electronics. Perhaps they dont care about CDs/DVDs etc.

Im also a fan of good warranties, and usually purchase extended warranties for items when they are available. Some companies have international warranties and its possible they honour them, but I dont know, I have no experience with the companies in question - Navman, Lowrance, Garmin etc.

Also, snapattack, that item looks good, but again I am always hesitant without a warranty, and like to purchase items new if I can afford it. Appreciate the link though mate....Cheers.

So, thanks for all the advice blokes, I think I may have my missus' approval of a GPSMAP178.

BUT:

Is there any reason we shouldn't be buying seperate units instead and save a couple of hundred dollars???

A sounder for about $200 to $300 and a handheld GPS for about $200, and its all sorted. What advantage would a combined unit offer, apart from the one power supply? Can it do more than the sum of its parts?

Again all thoughts much appreciated!
Jake

chanquetas
12-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Fishman7, not quite what Im after, but thanks all the same.

Snapattack, yeah so it is. Never sure about buying from auctions, and I havent played with one of these is person, but thanks mate.

ShaneJ
12-10-2005, 05:26 PM
If you do look at getting a Garmin, let me know and i'll see what price I can do for you.

boyzie
13-10-2005, 05:06 PM
ive got a garmin 178C combo and would never buy another garmin product again have had nothing but problems with it and the sounder isn't even that good.....but thats just my opinion maybe i just got a bad one

Sportfish_5
13-10-2005, 05:40 PM
What sort of problems did you have ? I have never had a problem with any of the Garmins I have owned :-/

Cheers

Greg

ShaneJ
13-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Probabaly not catching any fish ::)

Whats that old saying? A poor tradesman always blames his tools?

chanquetas
13-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Seems like opinions are divided....I think I'll think about it a tad longer.....maybe I should just get a cheap sounder, and a cheap handheld GPS....

gogecko
10-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I got a Matrix sounder from OS (Cascademarine) for about $250. Make sure they use USPostal service and theres no duty. I can now add the GPS reciever for $160 or buy a handheld. ATM, IM borrowing a handheld from a mate. I'll make a decision on GPS soon, but IM heading towards the combo unit.

Im pretty sure Matrix make a thru hull transducer.

Spending a lot on CDs?? You must be the last of the good guys who dont download. Limewire.com gets me everything for free. A lot of people dont download because of conscience, yet they never bother to read the copyright laws. Music students can be exempt from copyright. I still take the occaisional guitar or piano lesson, even if it is done on the net from a tuition website. Get my drift? Rather than be plagued by conscience issues, I prefer to believe the courts rather than the music industry hype. When the courts start prosecuting people for downloading music, then I'll believe its illegal, and not before.

Each to his own. Cheers.

HOOKLINEnSINKER
11-11-2005, 10:32 PM
well i got myself one of these garmin 178C from ebay ,from the states. cost US $567 . .that includes postage.
I recon about 1/2 price to what it would cost me here.
daniel