PDA

View Full Version : Navman sounders.... any good reports out there

Magneto
18-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Are the Navman sounders a dud, I can't find any reviews that have given any positive feedback or negatve for that matter... :-/ :o

MrWong
18-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Heres my two cents:
I believe from all accounts Navman plotters are high quality good to go! though the sounders are marginal. Have had all good feedback on the plotters ( a buddy has had two different ones - no prob) though he and I both run Hummingbird Matrix Sounders
Food for thought
Norm

redspeckle
19-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Magneto
If interested i have a Navman F400 Fishfinder with Transom Depth Sounder for sale about $125
As you see in picture below still in good working order
Want to buy it pm me
I am in brisvegas bayside
Mitch

Tracker
19-09-2005, 08:27 PM
I have the same sounder in our cartopper,works quite well in freash water on the dams.holds the bottom on plane .not as good as our ff50 but 10% of price.
go for it.
cheers Brian :)

Magneto
20-09-2005, 01:10 PM
:-/ no thanks Mitch. I just wondered, for the amount of time they have been on the market I haven't heard anything good..
I heard that the plotters are good with good detail but thats all.
Thanks to all
Mag 8-)

adamleah
21-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I have a 4200 sounder... does the job for looking at bottom thats about it ...

The screen cracked after the warranty was completed and they had no hassle in replacing the unit with a brand newie when I complained...So there warranties are A1!!!

I wouldnt buy another though..... Bigger names ->Better products

scott_b
22-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Gday mate
Sent a mate a PM to reply on navman sounders, he'll let you no what he thinks of them.
wamjam

Wyoming
22-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Magneto - Mr Wong is right on the money. #

I have a 5600GPS Plotter and it really is tops with lots of functions and it interfaces with the Navman 4600 plotter which I find a bit dissappointing. In fairness, I don't use the transom mounted tranducer supplied by Navman becaise the boat is permanently in the water and the wheel attracts barnacles really fast. #Instead, I purchased a compatible through-hull transducer and it has to look through the hull before it gets through to the briny, then the signal has to return back through the hull. #In fact, I haven't seen a fish since I fitted it! #only joking.

Also, I fitted the fuel transducer into the fuel ine and I find it is really accurate. #When it tells me that I have used 120 litres (say), then when I fill it, it will take 120 litres +/- 3 litres. #Not too shabby.

Also, I must say that the daylight viewing is the best that I have seen. You can always see it, even at a steep angle in really sunny conditions.

Hope this helps...

jimbamb
22-09-2005, 03:26 PM
My ol fishin mate has a 4500 sounder..personally i wouldnt take it if he was givin it away.Screen full of interference when travelling even at slow speed.wont hold bottom..Maybee it needs fine tunin but noone at navman seems interested. This is just my own opinion for wat is worth

ANYFISH
22-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Gday magneto
I had a sounder it was a 400 something that worked for about 2 months and then spent the rest of the warranty period in transport between navman and me. when the waranty period ran out and it stuffed up again it was replaced with a lowrance that hasn't missed a beat....

oh well thats fishing eh
anyfish

Magneto
23-09-2005, 05:01 PM
:oI thought they where pretty ordinary,thanks for the replies. Cheers to all ...Mag 8-) 8-)

scott_b
23-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Gday ANYFISH
mate that was pretty suttle you must have calmed down since you got a sounder that works.
wamjam

ANYFISH
24-09-2005, 06:54 AM
as i get older i just think

calm blue ocean calm blue ocean calm blue ocean

wayneoro
08-11-2005, 10:43 AM
mate ihave freinds who retail navman when i enquired about one they wouldnt sell it to me ! regards wayneoro

kitty_cat
10-11-2005, 08:01 PM
mate i run a 4600 fish and cannot beleive the above reports maybe the guys running the cheep ones are getting what they paid for this includes all the brands :-X.
color is the go , and mines not mega bucks but if i see fish on the sounder i catch fish even to the point of the color determining bigger fish :), it takes time to learn a sounder proply but if you want the rewards well worth the money and effort.
highly recommend navman

bobp
10-11-2005, 08:08 PM
have to agree with kitty_cat my 6600 trackfish is great :)

isaac
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
A mate I fish with regularly has a colour 4500 and its great, no problem finding fish in 50 -100m and its a lot easier to use than my JRC500plot. Good value for money I reckon. cheers Isaac.

jimbamb
11-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Kitty.
The sounder i was refering to was a 5600.I can assure you it wasn't cheap.Bloody expensive,thats why we expected it to be top class.not garbage.

kitty_cat
11-11-2005, 04:24 PM
jimbamb pm me your details as i may be able to help you out with your sounder no use spending that sort of money with bad resaults i know navman reps and will be happy to help you out. cant say it enough navman is a great unit ( iwill take some photos next time out )

davo
12-11-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm also curious about navman too. I recently upgraded to a colour chart plotter and after much looking around I went Garmin again.
Next year it's time for a colour sounder.
For all the Navman 4500 owners please post some pics of actual soundings with an explaination. Simulators are useless. I like the functionality of the Navman's but I'm still wary about the performance