PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions

webby
14-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Just got some new toys and one states check for correct voltage.
so what does 10-35volts dc mean.
Do i connect strait to battery with a inline fuse or what???
Secondly what does AP NAV-MK4 and MICROLOGIC ML 8000T mean.
thanks

Fishin_Dan
14-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Webby:-

10-35V DC means that the component (I'm assuming your talking about your new plotter you were talking about yesterday) can take a power source (battery) that runs from 10 Volts right up to 35Volts. So this unit would owrk on a normal boat battery (12Volt) into the duel battery in parallel (24 Volt). You would connect this straight to the battery with a fuse yes. The will need to look for the rating of maximum Watts (eg 7W or 30W) to know which fuse to use... Although it should tell you in the book!

As for those codes, it sounds like they are codes for the specific components internal to the unit (eg AP NAV-MK4 sounds like it is something to do with Navigation and it's up to version 4)

Hope this helps!

P.S - As I was saying yesterday, I would be checking the connection of your Receiver/Aerial on the canopy to the unit. It may be that this is not connected properly, or there is a problem in that part...

Cheers,
Dan

25_ponies
14-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Webby,

I'm with FD, 10-35V means that the unit can run on anything from 10 to 35 volts DC. If you've got a manual, it will specify the fuse rating. If not, most small marine electronics (sounders etc) will be ok with something in the 3-5 Amp range. Radios, radar etc require higher for transmit.

According to Google, a Micrologic ML8000T is a LORAN receiver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN).

Couldn't find much on the AP NAV-MK4.

Cheers,

Ponies.

banshee
14-11-2005, 08:53 PM
If your having trouble geting your GPS to lock on it could be that the reciever/ariel needs power to it,I know the new Lowrances need this.

Daintreeboy
14-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Webby:-

10-35V DC means that the component (I'm assuming your talking about your new plotter you were talking about yesterday) can take a power source (battery) that runs from 10 Volts right up to 35Volts. So this unit would owrk on a normal boat battery (12Volt) into the duel battery in parallel (24 Volt). You would connect this straight to the battery with a fuse yes. The will need to look for the rating of maximum Watts (eg 7W or 30W) to know which fuse to use... Although it should tell you in the book!

Dan

Dan I'm pretty sure batteries in parallel do not change the voltage so will still be 12 volt. Amperage will be up so the batteries will last longer but definitely still 12 volt. Series is the one you would be thinking of ;)
Cheers, Mark.

PS Webby what did you get?

Fishin_Dan
15-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Dan I'm pretty sure batteries in parallel do not change the voltage so will still be 12 volt. Amperage will be up so the batteries will last longer but definitely still 12 volt. Series is the one you would be thinking of #;)
Cheers, Mark.

I knewit was one of them, but its been a few years since I worried about the names of them... I just know how to wire em up! ;D

webby
15-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks fellas, will rewire and see what happens
regards

rajawolf
16-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Phew was worried for a second when it was said you can connect to a 24 volt battery...but my concerns went away when "Daintreeboy" sorted out the problem. :P

Maybe i was wrong also ..the way i would look at it is that the unit was a 12 volt unit and would handle peak voltage to 35 volts. :-/

Morlers
17-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Do they make them this way (ie 10v - 35v) so as to handle voltage spikes that can happen when starting the motor and the electronics are still switched on?

:) :)

Morlers

rajawolf
17-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Morlers,

I think so, but not 100% sure...if you measure say the voltage from my batteries after they have been running my electronic's for a few hours while outboard motor is off..when i start up again I have measured the voltage to peak @ 18 volts and as charge is replaced it slowly go's down to about 13.4 volts.

My VHF radio can only handle from 11-15 volts..so 18 volts being a bit high i run a seperate battery for it.

Another example is a 12 volt solar charger I have..it puts out 22 volts in full sun..but sh!tty m/amps.

As I said before ..not 100% sure so i play on safe side.

Cruiser
18-11-2005, 08:38 AM
If it says it can run on 10-35V DC then it's fine to run it on a normal 12volt system or a 24volt system. Just means they only have to make one unit to cover all possibilities and you don't need a 24-12volt converter in a truck or something.

We use gear like that in aircraft and helicopters that run a 28volt electrical system. No drama.

Just hook it up to the battery (with a fuse) or via your switch panel.

And yes, some GPS's provide power (usually 5volts) up to the antenna. Some antenna's contain a low-noise converter and amp - these are still connected with coax cable but feed power up as well as RF signal down. Many modern units have the entire GPS receiver in the antenna unit. This units don't normally use coax but a 3 or 4 wire cable. This cable carries power and commands up to the antenna/receiver and GPS data back down to the display head.

Chris.