PDA

View Full Version : New to GPS

bcb20
23-11-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm new to GPS and wanting to get some advice. I have looked at numerous brands, mainly Garmin and Raymarine, but don't really know enough to make and informed decision, and don't really trust salesman too much.

I've been looking at the Garmin 76 or 76S and the Raymarine 400. Preference is for colour, but budget will dictate that. Also I've looked at sites in the US, and even with exchange rate, shipping, etc. still work out cheaper than retail here. Bit concerned about warranty/service issues though......

Anyone have any thoughts??????

Owen
24-11-2005, 05:08 PM
G'day BCB20,
I can't comment on the model(s) you quote, but I just got a Garmin GPSMAP 178C and the GPS functions and detail on the Bluechart are pretty amazing.
To me the interface is extremely easy to use.
I haven't had any other units to compare it with, but for the most part I didn't need the manual to figure out what everything did.
Pity Garmin didn't make my VCR! Had it for two years and still can't figure out how to get it to record the right channel at the right time :-[
If I'd had the room I'd definately have gone for two seperate units as running in split screen mode makes things a bit small, but I knew that'd be the case so it's not something I can complain about.

cheers,

Owen

propdinger
24-11-2005, 07:20 PM
i prefer the garmins over raymarine for ease of use and detail just seems so much better. i just bought a 172c with bluechart which has really made life so much easier yesterday we could hit the same pinnacle within a few feet of where we passed over it a few minutes ago they are just a easy and mostly reliable unit imo.

cheers
jeff
p.s i have had raymarine (with chart) and navman and would never go back unless they really make a better one

redspeckle
25-11-2005, 08:27 AM
bcb20
I have been thinking about buying oversea's as well for up grading electronics for the boat but its is the warranty issue's that bother me I end up buying a sounder here which cost me $200 more than buying oversea's or on the net at the end of the day I think its worth paying a few hundred dollars extra so if some go's wrong at least it down the road to get fixed and not all that way to another country wait a long time getting fixed
Mitch

Bowser
25-11-2005, 05:56 PM
The thing with buying overseas is that it isn't a couple of hundred dollars you save unless you are buying very basic equipment. I bought overseas for approx $800 a system that retails around the $1400 mark here. WIth that sort of variation you can nearly afford to forgo the waranty and buy a second one. My Lowrance has gone west and I have returned it for warranty replacement. I expect it will be honoured but will wait and see. If it is then I am miles ahead. Will let you know how it goes, especially if it does get bounced.

revs57
26-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Hi bcb20

I recently picked up a Garmin172C GPS for under a grand at Sundown Marine to complement my Raymarine ds500x digital sounder with 1khz transducer...can't wait to see how they perfom on the new rig...I understand the Bluechart cartography has more detail and is more accurate than many competitors and the screen redraw is almost seamless...will post my experience (soon I hope)

Cheers

Rhys