PDA

View Full Version : Colour plotter

trout3030
12-10-2004, 06:34 PM
I have about $1500 (maybe a bit more) to spend on a new colour plotter. Will need it now to stay out of the green zones. I see that some manufacturers eg Raymarine have moved from C Map to Navionics charts. What is everyones opinion on the different chart brands and which plotter to get? Intereste in how the different charts can be updated and what cost.

davo
13-10-2004, 04:47 PM
I too am in the macket for a colour plotter. I was going to get one at the boat show but a lovely 4x4 turbo diesel ute took my fancy instead but next year definitely.

C map's biggest failing is that it can only zoom in to certain level then all you get on the screen is a track plot.

I'm a Garmin man and have used the Blue Chart with my mate and they are excellent but I really like the Maggellan with the Navionic system because for around $400 you get ALL of the Australian coast and you pay no more!

I'm actually going for the Meridian Colour handheld with SD memory but they do make a larger fixed mount. If you don't travel far then the Garmin's with Blue Chart are excellent

magicpudding
13-10-2004, 07:08 PM
We run a 10 inch Seiwa? chartplotter, which are very good value for money. It provides awesome detail and a great zoom for finding bait schools again, etc. It too uses C Map, so the fact that you can't zoom in on map features can be frustrating at times. If you've already got a GPS to run it off, the seiwa would be worth a look.

C.J. Maycock

Payneful
14-10-2004, 05:58 AM
I have a Navman Tracker 5500i and couldn't be happier. Its very easy to use and the warranty is the best around. If you look around you can pick them up for around $1200 which leaves enough left over to buy the fuel transducer, which I reckon is the best thing you could have on a boat for fuel management. You can find the best cruising speed in order to maximise your fuel economy. I saved around 30% on fuel since I installed the transducer. If you want anymore info, give me a yell.

Cheers

Sam.

megafish71
17-10-2004, 05:51 AM
Im with Payneful, also running the Navman 5500 and couldn't be happier with it. Coupled with the fuel transducer IMHO best value for money.

Cheers Ron

searaider
19-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi Paynful /megafish 71 ,
Have you had any problems with the Navman 5500 comming loose , or the head dropping down when your out in the rough stuff .
I am thinking of getting one .
Top unit but I have a bit of a worrie that there is only the one mounting point between the head & base .

Peter
Searaider 2

whiteman
20-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Peter

No problems at all with my 5500 and it's been used in a lot of slop.

(2 x) However ...

(1) the fitting isn't as solid as you see on things like Lowrance sounders
(2) Al-NFI's 5600 which is a lot bigger, does have a serious problem with "head drop"

On my previous bit of Navman gear (450 sounder) I ended up stripping the thread trying to get it tight. I'm hoping the 5500 is engineered a little better.

Volvo
20-10-2004, 12:18 PM
???Dont know what happened to that last post?? but here goes again :)..
Mate do yerself a favour and get the Navman Tracker 5600 ;).
Shouldnt cost ya too much more than what ya have allready ey..
Cheers

Payneful
21-10-2004, 04:48 AM
I have had the "head drop" issue once or twice (my boat is rough!!), but just wound the mounting up a little tighter, mine has this rubber washer that sits between the unit and the mount, without this i suppose it would drop its head frequently. If you got the pannel space i suppose you could surface mount it ???
All in all i am not disappointed with it at all.

Sam

Shadow_Hunter
22-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi there Gang,

I uese to have a Navman 5100 unit in my Haines. Great unit, very accurate, easy to use, but found the screen hard to read in daylight.

Decided to months ago I was gonna upgrade to color. Had my mind set on upgrading to the 5500 as it would be simple and straight forward. The 5500 has a good color screen and I thought there would be nothing else in that price bracket.

Well I was wrong.

The day I went to buy yht Navman I asked the sales guy ( who I know well and do trust) to show me what color souders were worth looking at around the $1200 mark.

He pointed me to the Lowrance Global Map 330C.

Well what a unit. Screens is way superior to the Navman. It has bucket loads of optiosn built in (but sadly no fuel flow meter as I already had one installed in my boat).
Was also impressed by the fact that its so easy to infi to and from this GPS and there is heaps of software available on the net

After uming and ering for 3 hours I decied to go the Lowrance and buy a Navman Fuel 3100 at a later stage. :D

All I can say is if you haven't committed your dollars yet have a look at the Lowrance.

How much did I pay for it. Try and even $1,000.

Smelly
28-01-2006, 02:49 AM
I have a Navman Tracker 5500i and couldn't be happier. Its very easy to use and the warranty is the best around. If you look around you can pick them up for around $1200 which leaves enough left over to buy the fuel transducer, which I reckon is the best thing you could have on a boat for fuel management. You can find the best cruising speed in order to maximise your fuel economy. I saved around 30% on fuel since I installed the transducer. If you want anymore info, give me a yell.<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Sam.

Hi payneful.

Talk me more about this fuel transducer -

What does it actually measure?

Where is it installed?

Model # of ducer?

How do you determine your best crusiing speed?

Smelly

Mantaray
28-01-2006, 09:57 AM
don't worry too much about arches all a bit of a gimmick. ever wondered why profesional sounders don;t have arches? bit of a waste of space and shouldn't be on the must have list!