PDA

View Full Version : buying a 4x4

jock
05-12-2002, 06:53 PM
hi everybody you have been great so far for information i hope this is no different,i was looking for a 4x4 to rent but everyone wants $5000 bond, i dont know about there but here credit card companies dont want to know. im now looking to buy a 4x4 or a reasonable car for my trip,does anyone know of any auctions around cairns area?or where i can get my hands on a decent vehical?

banshee
06-12-2002, 09:30 AM
Jock,Iam asuming that you are still over there,should this be the case I would recomend you enter the country
from the south(Melb,Syd)
and acclimatise your self while heading north.There will be a wider choice of vehicle and price would be
more competitive.To do this though
you would want to be here for at least
six weeks I would think.Keep in mind
the distance that needs to be covered
in this country to see different things,
the heat in the south and the heat /
humidity in the north.Regardless,have
a great time and don't leave wondering what might have been,do it
all.

jock
07-12-2002, 07:45 AM
hi thanks for the good advice,this will be my 3rd time in oz ive travelled some off it,im flying into sydney for ANZAC day then with a friend from oz flying to cairns,i know its mission driving back to sydney but thats our plan, its too expensive to rent they must think were all rolling in it,i think it would be more economical to buy then sell in sydney,im not doing it to make dosh,can you help.what kind of vehical would $2000,get? cheers mate.

banshee
07-12-2002, 09:43 AM
Mate,the best thing I can think of is
for you to punch in tradingpost.com.au
this will bring up a site that only has
classifieds,select the state/region then auto section,this should give you some idea of what's about and
for how much.I would think two grand
should get you a fair sort of a hack.
My brother recently sold his MQ patrol
(two door diesel 4x4) for a grand.It was a little rough to look at but ultra
reliable.

adrian
07-12-2002, 02:53 PM
hi jock

THE REASON 4X4'S ARE DEAR TO RENT IS THAT MOST POEPLE . take them off road up to the cape .if you want to rent a car then ask for one that may need to get back to sydney a one trip there should be about cairns . to buy a car at the price you are looking at is the bottom of the barrell . sure there might be a good one in there but I doubt it very much. also the problem of selling the car interstate could be more than it's worth . check with nsw government dept of motor vechiles about selling the carthere or maybe someone can help us out on the laws etc etc .
for my money i'd rent a car not a 4x4 as i doubt that you will use it and i have found a car much more comfy .

hope this helps

Anzac

cHiCo
10-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Jock,
Im from Cairns and recently my dad bought a:
1985 Landcruiser Auto Turbo-Diesel. The old ones that are built very strong. He bought it in brisbane while down there for buisness. It was a great buy from an old guy who looked after it very well. I'd suggest checking the brisbane trading post as it is alot closer to home, but you will definently pick up a bargain in melbourne or sydney.
Regards
cHiCo