PDA

View Full Version : Camping at the Pin

SteveCan
17-01-2003, 04:39 AM
Lindy and I are loading up the boat with Camping and Fishing gear and propping at the northenmost stand of trees at South Straddie for Friday and Saturday night. We will be bait fishing the beaches in the mornings, but I have been given a castnet for Christmas, so we intend to get some poddies and herring to livebait from the boat at night in the broadwater. (any suggestions for spots and techniques would be appreciated - haven't used livebait in the broadwater as yet...)

Have also considered livebaiting the beach - once again any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks all.
Steve.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
17-01-2003, 08:04 AM
steve,

tis my family's fav day spot.

For a feed of whiting - on the low tide look north from the trees toward the bar, you'll see a shallow drain thru the sandbank that forms the basin about 200m up from the tree line. Whiting school at the mouth of that drain on the outgoing tide - no monsters (about 23-28cm with some undesze as well) but normally about 3 or 4 schools of a dozen fish can be polaroided cruising around in less than 30cm of water. Fish really light, my 4 yr old & I #collect small black soldiers from the drying banks inside the basin & they smack em with gusto.

For livies the big pond that has formed at the southern end of North straddie has big schools of herring & hardiheads on the outgoing, or any creek mouth near the mangrove islands for herring.

I've had a bugger of a time finding decent mullet though in the last few weeks. You may find them cruisin the waves on the northern tip of South Straddie near the bar. If you have luck with mullet please let me know - my brother & I spent 4-5 hours flinging the net yesterday & went home without fishing because we couldn't get any live mullet.

For a pin jewie sound out a hole on kalinga bank or Short Is. are probably the easiest bet. A BIG school of good tailor travelled al the way down to Short during the week a little bird told me.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

ps after this easterly weather pattern the dart should be going nuts on the surf beach - cross your fingers the winds ease & you get some light westerly early morning.

SteveCan
18-01-2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks Chris,

You have made some good replies lately mate - Cracked up at your reply on the yabbie post ;D Seriously, that's great advice, we are looking forward to fishing the beaches and we have a good handle on that, but the boat based fishing at the pin had been ordinary for us - because we have been only bait fishing like every other punter. This time we are going to use Livebait and lures to see if we can change oour luck.

We spent some real thinking time last night deciding what gear to take. Now that I have more reels and rods than I can take on one trip it is a real headache deciding what to leave behind! :-/ We have an Alvey beach set-up each, An Abu 6000C4 and Abu 7000C3 on boat rods for the livebait, a Tica Sportera and Baitrunner 4500 for throwing lures, softies etc (fishing a bit heavier than I would like - we usually fish outside) and because our two light spin outfits are getting serviced, we have a couple of 3' Alveys on really light rods for the whiting.

Should do ok - and as always - I am too preoccupied thinking about fishing to do much work today :-[ Hope the boss never reads this stuff...

Thanks again for the advice
Steve.