PDA

View Full Version : Daintree this weekend

Daintreeboy
04-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Heading up the Daintree again tomorrow and Sunday to pick the pots up. Not much rain up here yet but we have been getting a few Salmon along the beach at Wonga (about 5 km South). Mate caught a Barra also so they are on the move anyway. With this in mind I think I'll troll up the beach through the heads for a big fella. Don't feel like luring though so after this I'll hit the sandbars and the grunter :) Tight lines.

NQCairns
10-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi, Did you have any luck?
Nqcairns.

Daintreeboy
13-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Got a Barra of 75 cm Sat arvo. Other committments saw us only fish Sat arvo anyway so it could have turned out to be a good trip. We are heading up there the weekend coming (18th). We'll be definitely staying at a hut a mate has for at least Sat night and with the tides, we're sure to have a good catch. We saw a Barra around 20 kilo moving through the shortcut at the heads in 10 cm of water so they're on the move.

NQCairns
16-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Awesome seeing big fish up close in the shallows, just 2 days ago I saw a 4 foot (true!!) turrum at the end of the salt in the barron river just cruising around. Good luck for this coming w'end, let us know how you get on. Cheers Nqcairns.

Daintreeboy
19-01-2003, 10:42 AM
We are currently doing not too bad. Weather has turned foul so we've left the huts for the day and are resting in Mossman. We got two nice Jacks, a small trevally, 3 good Grunter and a Queenie of around 3.5 kilo in the three hours of fishing yesterday and early this morning. Will let ya know how the rest of the trip goes.

Daintreeboy
22-01-2003, 07:48 AM
We ended up heading out to the reef Sunday (a mate and I). Went to the strip near Batt hoping for some Macks with the big morning tide but no current was there, strange. With the weather a bit bumpy we stuck it out for 11 trout(one Island trout was at least 3 kilo) and a few other general reef fish but no macks, sigh.

NQCairns
22-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Lucky bugger, sounds like you had fun regardless, hope you enjoy your feed. Where is bat reef? I am still getting the hang of the place and have yet to take the boat offshore in this area. Green with envy, just gunna have to get of my butt and register the boat n trailer up here now, what size boat did you take, I have a 14 foot 3 CC with a 30 on it. Am I out of my depth going to the reef for a fish in this boat? I am used to dealing with bigger stuff (waves not Fish) http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gifthan I have seen up here so far because i come from NSW where the swell and wind just doesn't let up or if one does the other just gets worse.Keep your reports coming, good stuff, cheers Scott.

Daintreeboy
22-01-2003, 01:08 PM
I have a 16 foot wooden Hartley scamp with a 70 Evinrude. Your boat is OK to take out up here. Batt reef is almost directly east of Low Isles. We fished at the South western end which is only 40 minutes from Wonga Beach where we launch the boat, much closer than most of the Cairns areas. Check some of my posts out in the Saltwater photos section. Anyways cheers for now ;)

NQCairns
29-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi again Daintreeboy, thanks for the info, I have been getting my Oxiexplorer software up and running and found your reef, it's big! now it's in my gps. Also found the patch you fish around on the s/w side, looks good. I am trying to plan my first trip out (see my post above) welcome to come along if you can make it fit. Thanks again for the info. Cheers NQCairns.