PDA

View Full Version : New boat first trip

Fisherman02
26-04-2003, 10:46 AM
hey guys
well Craig just dropped off the remaining lifejacket and oars of my safety gear and now im set so all going well will be taking it for a test run tonight at tingalpa creek i can be contacted on 0439863900
cheers jack

aquarius
26-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey mate lucky this breeze is strong because im sure you would have had lots of bites (MOZZIE) ;D
Hope the porta bote helps ya creep up on some bream in stealth mode and the rain holds off till morning.
Cheers Brent #http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm12.gif

mackmauler
26-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Jack, remember what happened to titanic on its maiden run ;) have fun.

aquarius
26-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Hey Rob i don't think he will encounter any iceberg's in Tingalpa creek..lol ;D
Maybe find himself high and dry on a sandbank though..lol ;D
Cheers Brent

mackmauler
26-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Brent, roflmao, not yet mate,but when the arctic winter arrives it may happen ;D

aquarius
26-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Mate he's keen and lean so hope he has warm clothes with him......He asked me to go with him but ive been crook this week and i didn't want to get a wet arse..lol
I mean rain water not salt. :o.lol..He assures me its water tight.
Cheers Brent

Fisherman02
26-04-2003, 03:10 PM
hey fellas
was just packing up when figured i would just quickly put the minn kota on the motor bracket, it didn't fit the motor bracket was to wide, so lucky i didn't go also huge downpour. There isn't enough of an overhang of wood to put the motor on so we are unscrewing the wood off and turning it around but one of the screws is rusted in so if worst comes to worst will screw on a bigger piece of wood altogether. Tomorrow i will pop down to super cheap auto and grab myself a charger for the deep cycle. As well as taking the motor mount to the hardware store and seeing if they can use their fancy machinery to take the wood off. Will hopefull go during the week next week, I do need a deckie though to help me unfold the boat and keep the boat balanced
cheers jack

SteveCan
26-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi Jack,

I got a charger from Super cheap for about $40 for my boat battery. I recently had a bit of luck and picked up a rosco canoe with a 32lb electric. Lindy and I had a go trolling soft plastics about Burleigh lake today and we got about 2 hours non stop running out of the motor. We boated three bream (Lindy's first fish on soft plastic - a 30cm bream on a small brown grub)

30LB is a useful but not powerful motor and the advantage i guess is the long running time. A lot of the time we were just using 1/2 power for a nice walking speed troll. I found that the wind makes a big difference to the progress you make as well. I am going to get a new battery for mine as my existing one is quite old.

Most of all we were impressed with the stealth and manouverability that an electric gives you to get into tight little spots without scaring the fish away. Given the right conditions and staying within the limitations of the craft we expect to have a great deal of fun with the unit. Especially looking forward to night time bream chasing in the estuaries and canals here in the Coast. Given your craft has similar characteristics I am sure you are going to have a ripper time with yours as well.

Looking forward to hearing how you go mate - Have fun!

Cheers
Steve.

Fisherman02
26-04-2003, 03:44 PM
how many amps is the charger mate?
cheers jack

SteveCan
26-04-2003, 03:51 PM
It is a Battery Link Pro Series 2.2 Amp. four LED indicators. It charges a battery pretty well overnight and can switch to trickle when the battery is fully charged. - Although it doesn't on my two batteries (one is now back at the shop looking for a replacement under warranty) I'm not an expert on chargers but it seems to do a good job for the price.

Fisherman02
26-04-2003, 03:57 PM
hey mate
yeh i spose that would do the job, the thing i dont understand is a mate of mine has a 4amp charger and that would charge up a deep cycle battery it would take a couple of days but your one only takes overnight and it is only 2.2amp???
cheers jack

aquarius
26-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Steve i have a 85 amp deep cycle battery and a 14 amp charger...takes 24 hrs to charge my battery.....I also have a 5 amp charger which will take 3 days to charge it but they need the bigger chargers to get that burst of charge to get them up to 90%.......The guy at battery world told me that each time the battery is charged it will not quite get the full charge.
I run a 55lb thrust Minn Kota.......can get about 5 hrs from a full battery at 30% throtle.....Like you said it depends on what you are pushing around and the wind speed.
Cheers Brent

SteveCan
26-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Hmm,

I bought the charger to trickle charge the boat battery between trips. I had read that you are less likely to damage a battery with a lower rating charger so I thought it would be fine. I might have to re-think that now or i wont get the full benefit of the electric.

Know of any places to read about managing deep cycle batteries on the web?

aquarius
26-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi again Steve...yes that battery charger would be great to trickle charge a battery...don't reckon you will be able to put the life back into a deep cycle though.
Check this web page out mate..hope it helps.
Cheers #Brent
http://ww2.green-trust.org:8383/batterymaint.htm
http://uuhome.de/william.darden/dcfaq.htm