PDA

View Full Version : Hinchy in Sept

Jack_Lives_Here
03-05-2003, 09:17 AM
::) Yeh I know it's a while off, but we have a few groups going up this year and would welcome any of the Ausfish members along. Tag onto the convoy or meet us up there.
It is an abosolutely magic place to fish and we are starting to get a handle on the place.
We head out on the 5th Sept.

Jack_Lives_Here
03-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Just some of the magic country up there.

This is looking across from the lookout on Cardwell range at the maze of creeks and mangroves - plenty to get lost in ;D to Hinchinbrook in the background.

stilltryin
03-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Myself, my brother, and at least four other mates are planning a trip at the same time to Cardwell. A mate and I went there last year for nine days including travel from Brisbane and managed to hook into about 200 jacks. Fished really hard from daylight to dark. Only landed one out of five. After the first couple of days we started using lures only for the morning session and livies in the afternoon. Got too expensive losing lures that regularly. Would be interested in the trip. More heads give it a bettter chance to come up with the goods I suppose. what do you think???

regards

Stilltryin

Jack_Lives_Here
03-05-2003, 01:49 PM
We stay at Lucinda. We've only fish lures. Both times I've used bait was nice big live prawns - result bloody stingrays.
At this stage we plan on leaving Friday arvo - have a break at Mackay and get into Ingham in time for the Coles to open so we can get some veggies etc.
Only managed a couple of jacks per trip so would be keen to learn some jack locations.

stilltryin
04-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Thought about Lucinda but a couple who had been fishing from there for the past five years came to Cardwell and reckon they won't go back to Lucinda. Better places to fish at the Cardwell end. Everyone to their own...

I mainly fish lure or fly but as I said after losing about $200 in lures and busting up twenty pound braid then thirty we just needed a break each afternoon. We tried the prawns but the catfish and other rubbish got too much. After switching to XOS whiting and mullet, lots of luck and quick reflexes we managed to onlt loose about 100 hooks as well. Became a bl...y enjoyable but expensive trip. What the hell.... Gave us a good reason to go back......

Because we had to cast into the mangrove roots to get a hit, I suppose we had to expect something to give.... I am going to try fifty, locked drag and reverse on the motor this year...

The best thing of the trip last year was a thirty pound GT on twenty pound braid in the creek one and a half hours after leaving the port...I hope it wants round two this year.....

Definately would like to discuss tactics....

regards

Stilltryin

StuH
06-05-2003, 03:35 AM
Dave,
How long are you going for and are you staying at Wanderers?
I was thinking about going up a bit later, maybe the start of October.

Stilltryin,
What areas do you target from the Cardwell end? When you look at the map, apart from Missionary bay, the Lucinda end seems to have a lot more options?

Stu.

Jack_Lives_Here
06-05-2003, 08:45 AM
I've not lost a lure to a fish yet up there. 30lb whiplash and 60lb jinkai leader. You need to play hard ball from the get go.
As someone has said on another thread - throw it like you've already lost it. 50lb would certainly be much better if your're getting smashed up. Are you getting busted on the leader or the braid?? Are you're knots letting go?? I tie a 40+ turn bimini on the braid and a reverse albright to the mono. Nice and smooth thru the guides.

Stu,
Leaving on the 5th Sept and heading back around the 15th. Going to fish Faust for a couple of days on the way back. The Lucinda end certainly has plenty of fish if you're prepared to work for them. Seems like the jacks are up the northern end though.

stilltryin
06-05-2003, 10:56 AM
The areas are mainly top end of Hinchinbrook to just north of it for jack. Down near fishers landing for fingermark in the deep.

My knots hold and have been using thirty five and forty pound leaders. Been busting the braid because the thumb lock was called for and with just a couple of feet or so to play with there isn't much room for play. Fifty braid and sixty pound leader is a definate next trip. The barra seemed a bit fairer, they didn't bust off or snag during the trip, nothing big though, the locals said it was because of the dry.

The GT's are going to be a focus again this trip, will fish a bit lighter and have some fun on plastics with them. They are a bit more affordable.

Stilltryin

We have stayed at Kookaburra, great people and a ton of local knowledge they don't mind sharing around. Very reasonable prices and top accomodation.

Big_Kev
06-05-2003, 12:42 PM
I was planning a trip to Hinchy around that time as well .
I have never been there before but have heard a bit about it on this site.
Where and how do you recommend to stay?
The boss is coming to and two teenage kids so we might have to get something a little more comfortable than the tent.
I will be taking the boat so will want somewhere that I can keep an eye on it and the gear.
Thanks Kev.

StuH
06-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Dave, will it be hot enough then to bring the jacks on?
Thats why I was going to go a bit later.
Stu.

Jack_Lives_Here
07-05-2003, 03:58 AM
Kev - have only stayed a Wanderers at Lucinda. Not much there for teenagers though. It's a sleepy little place. Maybe Cardwell would be a better option.

Stu - I don't think it will be hot enough. We've only ever managed about 1 or 2 jacks per trip. I plan to go back in March 2004 when the jacks are relly firing.