PDA

View Full Version : Swains aboard the Kinimbla

POC
16-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi all

We have a charter arranged on the Kanimbla out of Gladstone between 17 and 24 May, there are 2 spare spots available at the moment.

if anyone is interested drop me a personal email at oconnor@bigpond.com.au and I will call you with the details.

Best regards

POC

bugman
17-04-2003, 04:01 AM
Oh My God!!!1

You get back on the 24th and I've got to be on Fraser on the 24th. BUGGER!!!!!

You guys will have a ball - have you been before - how much is the trip now - I haven't been for two years.

Say Gday to Bruce and Ash for me if it's their week on.

Bugman

POC
17-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Hi Bugman

We go each year and this will be my fifth trip. I'm not sure of the charter cost alone but our trip normally works out at around $1750 per head. The price includes fuel for the 4 cars we run from Brisbane, secure parking, bait, lead & crew gratuities so all we pay for is any drinks on top of that. Any excess funds are refunded after the trip.

You’re right, its an awesome week and even if the fishing aren’t going off its great to get away from the world and phones for a week!

Dominator
18-04-2003, 05:20 AM
I'm planning on heading up there for a trip next year, can't wait. ;D ;D ;D

Look forward to reading your post when you get back. ;) ;)

Cheers,

Dominator.

dez
10-05-2003, 06:07 AM
I've got a party of 20 (12 flying in from oveseas - mainly poms who don't have any fish left over there) and we are fishing Swains onboard the Tura on 31st May to 7th June.

Any tips - we'll be fishing drifting/trolling from the boat and from the dories.

Is the weather usually reasonable this time of year?

Cheers

Dez

POC
11-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Hi Dez

It sounds like you will have your hands full with 12 poms, we had one a few years ago and the poor bugger took some time to get used to it.

The weather varies trip to trip, over 6 years we have had a trip cancelled due to a gale on the Swains. At the opposite end of the spectrum last year we went to Saumarez and it was like a millpond the whole week so I hope the week after next is a good one.

I normally fish with a 15 kg short stroker during the day and a 24 kg stick at night, but its all down to personal preference, our group uses all types of rods and reels.

In terms of tactics well it really comes down to the fish, if they are on the bite then not much matters but if they are off then try everything you can think of and see what works. Sorry if this sounds like a half arsed answer but we have had good trips and bad.

If I have one tip that stands out it is to use my preferred hook, which are Gamatsu (spelling) octopus circle hooks. I am not employed or endorsed by Gamatsu but they have increased my catch rate incredibly. The trick is not to strike on the fish, just let em keep nibbling and they will catch themselves.

For bait we take pillies and squid. I prefer the squid but if you are catching Hussar, Jap Bream or Grassies they make better bait (provided they are of legal size, bugger, I hope its legal to do this. Advice anyone?) . Fillet them and they are great bait, we also usually fight over the wings or as Grant describes them the Ventral fins as these make brilliant bait.

Finally if you have a group of overseas fishers then they do need to know how to empty the fishes air bladder, I hate to see under size fish or by catch dyeing because they weren’t vented properly.

Well if you have any specific questions beyond this feel free to post them or PM me after my trip and I will give you the latest gossip from the reef.

Hope you have a good trip

POC

P.S. we did manage to fill the crew for the trip.