PDA

View Full Version : Maroochy River Lookin for Victims erm.. Partner

Zeeke
17-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Lookin for people who want to fish the maroochy river, mainly from bli bli to the mouth and the creeks, but one problem, they must use lures or do flyfishing heh.. dont need that smelly stuff on my boat.. would prefer during the week, usually 1 person at a time.. just lookin for a reason to head out, get sick of fishing alone and i like the company.. ive got a 4.3 meter Kakadu Seahunter fully decked out for the lure or fly fisho so if your interested in coming for a fish, gimme a email at reelmad@hotmail.com

Thanks

Tim

MangroveJase
18-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Nice boat.......great fitout.

MJ

Zeeke
18-05-2003, 02:03 PM
yep, it does me.. for now.. hehehe.. has everything there.. even a casette radio built in

Tim

FLATHEAD1
23-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Zeeke

Have you had any expirience fishing the Maroochy River. I understand that several years ago there was a pesticide/herbicide spill some years ago upstream into Petrie Creek and it totally wiped out the enitre fish population. I understand it has not yet recovered. What are your thoughts? I have been thinking of dragging my boat up there for a week or so to get into some winter bream down at the mouth.

FLATHEAD1

jewies
23-05-2003, 01:58 PM
I fished the maroochy river on sunday caught 6 flathead and 11 bream.

Zeeke
23-05-2003, 02:26 PM
ive been fishing the Maroochy River for the last 18yrs and know 98% of it like the back of my hand.. including the major creeks Eudlo, Petrie and Coolum and as far as the upper reaches in the freshwater areas.. yes there was a pesticide spill, but no, it wasnt a complete whipeout of all fish species, the river is just slowly dieing, due to over harvesting by Commercial fishers on the river and during the summer monthes we get it twice as bad due to Mud Crabbers dropping pots everywhere and then we get the commercial crabbers aswell, if you know where your fishing, then you'll know how to fish the area effectively to catch a feed of fish, these days i release 98% of the fish i catch, only keeping 1 or 2 legal flathead maybe once every 4-5 trips for my parents, otherwise everything i catch is returned. Maroochy River has alot of Potential, if it was left free of commercial fisherman and crabbers it could seriously rival Noosa as a good fishing location.. i know that once you get past the shallows in the larger and even the smaller creeks that are only as wide as your boat you can get into some great territory that hold good quality mangrove jacks and other assorted critters.. it would also helped if they stopped cane farming on the river, but i doubt that will happen.. id say almost 85% of the river is lined by Cane Farms.. some cool mornings you can drive up river and see green mist floating just above the waters surface and it absolutely stinks of pesticide... if you want to fish the river, stick to the areas above the Bli Bli Bridge.. your guaranteed better quality fish then those up river, its a big river, but.. due to a shallow river mouth, doesnt flush out fast and therefor your more likely to get sick fish up river.. even after ive said all that, id still recommend the river.. its a great spot

Tim

Zeeke
30-07-2003, 03:37 AM
Offer is still out there, especially for any of those keen to learn how to catch bream on lures

Tim

Touchy - R.I.P.
30-07-2003, 04:07 AM
G'Day Zeeke,Thats a top rig you have there,no baito's you say em!!,guess that leaves this old stinky out ::),none the less I do have a method of getting flattie on fly BUT not the conventional fly fishing style,I have got fish from a lot of areas useing this fly method of mine but not from your neck of the woods & I would be very interested in giving it a go,fished Bli Bli long time ago(bait) when my father in law was alive & living at Nambour & as you have said its a great spot,I will send you an e-mail later & see if a trip can be organised for later on sometime.Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

mackmauler
30-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Tim, you gotta be careful mate, this touchy fella is trouble ;D

Zeeke
30-07-2003, 09:45 AM
If he's trouble, then your Double zTrouble Rob!

This err.. Fly rig, that wouldnt be done with droppers like n a snapper rig?? ive seen that kind of thing in action

aquarius
30-07-2003, 09:51 AM
And that green mist could be from the ginger wine..LOL
Don't worry Betty my lips are sealed..he he :-X :-X
On a serious note Zeeke mate nice looking rig and its good to see you only taking home enough fish for a feed.
Cheers Brent

Zeeke
30-07-2003, 11:58 AM
actually i dont take any home, and im getting in alot of trouble from my folks because of that.. i catch more then enough fish easily.. every trip i do.. but i always throw the buggers back in after ive taken a happy snap.. cept my digi cam has just died from saltwater damage.. so now im in the market for another... it lasted until 2 weeks ago, on the last day i took it out, it was on my best lure session, 40 bream, a few flattys and my mate scored his first jack

Tim

aquarius
30-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Tim...looking forward to the trip out with you some time mate..40 bream on lures in 1 session im impressed!!
Cheers Brent ;)

Touchy - R.I.P.
31-07-2003, 04:15 AM
Zeeke,Dont take any notice of aquarius or mackmauler they are both insanely jealous of fisho's of above ablility such as you & I in that they will say anything to try & get square,the rumour down this way is that they both have caught a fish once but the real truth is(you can trust me I used to sell used cars so you know I wouldn't fib:-X)that it was in fact ONE fish BETWEEN 'em. ;D ;D ;D ;D.My fly rig & method is not a dropper setup & is worked similar to working soft plastics along the bottom.Will give you a bit more "drum" by e-mail if you want to give it a try.Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

Zeeke
01-08-2003, 11:25 AM
yea, i was impressed too, my mate Raef and i were only ment to fish until 1pm because my old man has to tow the boat down for me, anyways, at 1pm the fish finally started getting onto the bite, at 3:30 we had our fair share of bream.. it was a great session, we were using Ecogear Pad Tue's in the Green Pumpkin Colour aswell as the Yellow Shrimp, they have performed extremely well for us, that was our first session using them, and ever since then (5 trips) each time has produced good results.. and if your after a bit of a rush, they are worth it because ive never felt bream strike a lure so hard as the pad tues, even the lil fellas (under 30cm) pull like a freight train... anyways guys, ive got to go sort out 16 packs of pad tues, which means its just another 160 soft plastics to get sorted into my bit over 4,000 assorted soft plastics collection that i take fishing everytime

Tim
p.s. you can get me on MSN Messenger via my email reelmad@hotmail.com