PDA

View Full Version : Lucinda or Cardwell

sooty_mad
29-04-2003, 03:25 AM
Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Hinchinbrook from the 10th to the 14th May to throw a few lures around the snags. I understand because of the long dry that the fishing has been fairly quiet.

Any advice on what's around and where to go? Lucinda or Cardwell????

Kind regards... David

Jack_Lives_Here
29-04-2003, 08:44 AM
I've always stayed at Wanderers at Lucinda. Nice quiet place, the pub is a short stroll, the ramp is very close (1km) and the people nice and friendly. Saying this when we fish the place we generally run up a ways up the channel.
A good option is to launch at Fishers landing, which puts you half way up to start with. Be careful though, best to launch and retrieve with plenty of water - half tide is OK. Lucinda also gives you the option to fish the sugar loader for all sorts of critters. Be prepared to lose gear out there though.

Good luck. You'll probably manage a few fish out on the flats and sand bars, being cooler and all.

POC
29-04-2003, 07:12 PM
I went up to Lucinda last October, a week or two after Jack Lives Here (sorry jack I eventually worked out your personal mail after I got back). We didn’t land a fish in the estuary systems or around the jetty but I blame our lack of local knowledge (ok I admit it we have no skill) and the lack of rain for that.

We did get a few days outside and while the fishing wasn’t great we did manage to get a good catch of Coral Trout, we didn’t bag out but they were good quality…at least until my fishing buddy accidentally turned off the freezer when we got home.

We stayed at the Wanderers in a cabin and I will be the first to admit that the managers are good value, but the cabins are very small and over priced.

A mate found a unit in Lucinda for $200 a week (or so I'm told) and reckons its great, well unless you mention his Easter trip where he spent 9 days waiting to get outside and the day never came!

Again I concur with Jack the pub is second to none, I got to know the owners after one of our group looked like he was having a heart attack and they couldn’t have been better. They had approval to build various levels of accommodation for fishho’s so it might be worth a call to see if they have anything available.

Jack_Lives_Here
30-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Live herring or jigs around the pylons are the go. I mean right down beside the pylons. At one stage we were nosing the boat underneath the structure, drop the jig (Halco Trembler), backing slowly out while jigging. All sorts of mayhem to get a fish out of that ;D but a hell of a lot of fun.

The creeks are a funny thing. If fishing lures, you must fish them REAL SLOW. First time I fished the place, we only managed 2 barra - working our lures too fast. We booked a guide for a day the next trip and it was an eye opener. We pulled fish off crap I would never have stopped to look at let alone throw lures at. With it getting cooler though, the fish will be out in the shallow water / flats around sand bars etc.
I reckon some good sight fishing.

sooty_mad
30-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Jack_lives_here

Growing up in Townsville, I have been very fortunate to fish Hinchinbrook many times. I have since moved south but I still make an annual pilgrimmage back there, it helps keep me sane. Even if the fish aren't on, it is is one of the most magic places on this earth.

I have almost always fished the Cardwell end as every time I go up north there is a strong southeasterly. I mainly fish Missionary Bay and some of the reefs around Gould Island, or if the weather is real bad, Meunga Creek. Another favourite is trolling shallow divers across the flats on the northern end of Hinchinbrook on the high tide.

If the weather was not an issue, would you base yourself from Cardwell or Lucinda?

I would appreciate your comments.

Kind regards... David

Mad_Barry
30-04-2003, 04:48 PM
It's pretty hard to come up with too many bad point's about either. ???

You could go 2 bob each way & stay at the Seymour hotel, or there is a new joint just opened up a few self contained cabins right on the range, just near the lookout where you can stop on the highway, the tea house,(?) I think it's called. about halfway between Cardwell & Lucinda or about 5min from fishers ck.

clutter
30-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Had a trip up there in October last year. Had a house boat out of Cardwell and based ourselves at Deluge Ck, easy to work nort or south from there. Didn't get too many legal Barra but got quite a few between 54 and 58cm. If you're throwing lures in the creeks you have got to throw them like you don't want them i.e. right into the bloody things with a slow retrieve back, give it plenty of pauses to keep it in the strike zone. We had our best results in the dirtier creeks which at that time last year were few and far between due to lack of rain. Had best results on Richo's Little terror lures. Got plenty of good Jacls as well.

Cheers, Clutter

Jack_Lives_Here
01-05-2003, 03:59 AM
Having only stayed a Lucinda can only say both ends have + and -'s. Lucinda you have access to the jetty, Zoe Bay and Palm group BUT all weather dependant. No matter which end you stay at there is always a creek you can get out of the wind.

Missionary is a place I would like to fish but just never had the time. The whole area is a magic place. I've found myself drifting up creeks just awed by the scenery and wildlife, AND not casting. After a quick upper cut I was back to the job.

Pretty good summary there Clutter - throw 'em like you don't want 'em is right on the money. If you don't get it in tight you don't get the strikes. We have got most of our good barra off basically a single stick type structure up some of the small creeks. We have found the jacks, cod and small barra make use of the nasty snags OR just get to your lure before anything else can.

sinbad
02-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Hi Sooty mad, I agree with jack lives here. The pub at Luicinda is fantastic. Stayed there in early april for four nights. Went fishing the channel for three hours but only caught 1 jack. Had a few hits but nothing else.Good luck

Sinbad

Jack_Lives_Here
03-05-2003, 09:11 AM
We near got run out of the pub last Sept. Went across for a counter meal and a few goldies, as you do, and bought a few tickets in the raffles. I think we managed 5 of the 6 prizes - woops.

StuH
06-05-2003, 03:47 AM
Stop it fellas, your getting me all excited ;D ;D
I was there at Lucinda last October and what a magic place it is.
All the locals are so friendly, Wanderers has everything you need and the pub is just excellent. A real laid back little community, no hustle and bustle just makes everything so relaxing.
As soon as I work the fishing out it will be awesome.
Bring on the hot weather.
Stu.

Jack_Lives_Here
06-05-2003, 08:56 AM
BIG word of warning. Take ALL the gear out of your boats and Wanderers. I lost a set of boga grips, my mate lost his outboard muffs and another guy with us lost the C pin that holds the towbar pin in - all in the same night.

billfish1
12-05-2003, 01:47 PM
we were at Lucinda for 2 weeks before easter.
Although we didnt catch a lot of fish what we caught was good.
Make sure you take a cast/drag net to get live bait, dead baits just dont work there.
It is a good place to stay and we cant wait to get back.

good luck Bill

whitey73
11-08-2003, 07:22 AM
In the Missionary Bay area we had some luck with Barra on the flats as they were draining casting Reidys B52's. Concentrate on the gutters that form and move with the fish when you find them. Enjoy