PDA

View Full Version : Landbased Pinkie

madfish
03-06-2002, 03:25 PM
Here's a nice Pinkie caught on ANZAC day 02, from the Sth Coast of West Oz. It went 12kg and we lost a couple of bigger ones.
http://www.westnet.com.au/robertsc/images/Pinkie.jpg
madfish

Fisherman02
03-06-2002, 03:48 PM
beatiful fish! :o
Stillw aiting for my first :-[
cheers jack 8)

Jason_L
11-06-2002, 07:34 AM
looks like a Mother-in-law

or is it a snapper......... i'm unfamiliar with the term Pinkie

jezza
11-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Great fish mate , well done!!!!Great reel choice as well!
8500 or 9500?........doesn't matter,it's a Penn!
Until next time...

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-06-2002, 09:54 AM
great fish !! - landbased snapper, the stuff of dreams for us queenslanders. I guess we can't have everything in the sunshine state after all the big guy upstairs gave us the best cricketers & AFL players ...

Jack_Lives_Here
19-06-2002, 05:13 AM
Top fish. No hump like the fish I seen in NZ recently. Do you know if they are different sub species to the east coast fish. Big fish seem to have big narly lumps on their heads.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-06-2002, 09:26 AM
dave,
according to an interesting article in fishing world a year or two back, they are the same sub-species. The author (can't remember the name) speculated the humps are from either environmental factors like local parasites, temp, terrain, food source & how they gather it, or the from anomalies in the the local gene pool as snapper are not a major migrator & so the same species in differing areas are evolving in varying ways.
Incidently, this last point is why as rec fishos we need to watch ourselves as it would be easy to wipeout our local population.
chris

madfish
24-06-2002, 08:22 AM
I've caught quiet a few big Snapper and the hump on the head and nose can differ heaps, for instance I caught two big pinkies of about 35lb one was old looking and had the biggest bulbuss nose, while the other was young looking with no hump or big nose at all, like the one in the photo. This was a fair while ago and I wish I had of checked if the where male or female, I was allways told the hump, nose, was formed by them rubbing on the bottom to dislodge food.

madfish