PDA

View Full Version : The one that should've got away

LYNDO
16-07-2002, 08:59 AM
G'day all

Just thought I'd post this (old) pic after reading Ron's comments in the (july)BNB readers forum, ref: the confusing fisheries regulations on groper.

Maybe this old fella would still be swiming around today?

Details:
Location, near Cairns.
Rod/reel top L/H corner Pic, 50lb line with live bait.
Only landed after towing up a muddy creek in a tinnie after intial 1 1/2 hr fight.
The flesh was sold to a local fish N chip shop in Cairns.

For size comparison the bloke in photo is 6'3"

Cheers Lyndo

shep
25-07-2002, 09:14 AM
AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa####### http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

Would have made a good photo of it being released.

Shep 8)

jaybee
25-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Rod/reel top L/H corner Pic, 50lb line with live bait.Looking at the photo it looks like wire was used on a set bait. the photo looks old. what a waste off and a great Sacrilege of a majestic fish. shame, shame, shame :-[

jack_attack
26-07-2002, 10:04 AM
I have seen a very old foto like that taken of a large cod/groper (??) caught in the Caboolture river, but I have never been able to find out any details. It had 2 large sharks hanging from a tree in the background. Apparently it was caught near Monties marina. Any one seen or know any more details about the pic I am talking about?

Luke
27-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Sure is a shame but can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing in the era of the B&W photograph. Glad times have changed.
Cheers Luke

shep
28-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Amen to the change part!

Well at least some of us have changed I still see people taking bags (as in sugar bags) of bass from the richmond River http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif
As little as eighteen months ago 'cause they were stuck below a weir with only just enough rainfall to put them on the move but not enough to get them over the weir.

Hope the change continues to spread!

Shep 8)

jaybee
29-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Hey guys i just spent the weekend at mooloolaba and was good to see the fisheries being very proactive on the water and back at the boat ramp...only if they could cover all areas all the time
cheers.