PDA

View Full Version : Giant Leatherskin or Queenfish

PG
30-01-2003, 02:04 PM
A mate and I hooked this thumper in Corio Bay in December last year. We've come to the conclusion it's a Giant Leatherskin going by markings and the size of it. We didn't measure or weigh the fish but needless to say it put up one hell of a fight on 6 Kilo line.One of the best fishing edventures we have had for a long time.

Daintreeboy
01-02-2003, 12:47 PM
I was unaware of the difference. They are the same fish. There is a different variety of Queenfish to the more common one but it's still a queenfish. What did you catch that one on, Hay? .. because it's a horse ;D

swano
01-02-2003, 04:20 PM
that's one hell of a "SKINNY" did ya eat the thing ??? or are they too bony ???

mackmauler
01-02-2003, 06:56 PM
I got one like that last november, near gatcombe head-gladstone, took a slug and was feeding in a tuna school ??? made great crab bait.

PG
05-02-2003, 03:08 AM
Was baited up with a ;live whiting chasing big flathead when the reel started screaming and across the bay we saw this leap out of the water...well, I nearly sh*t me pants !...after some clever boating and fast winding and my mate on the gaff we got it in. Yes we did eat it. I'd eaten smaller fish before but thought I'd give it a go. Bled it immediately and gutted it. There wasn't much room for guts when ya take out the worms !..It wasn't all that bony. All the bones were big so made life easy. Taste was pretty average , flesh was a bit tough but tasted great with some coconut/curry sauce my mate brought along.
It turned out they were chasing balls of bait inside the bay. Saw some others but they weren't interested in anything we threw at them. Hope to hook up on another someday but I think it will get the Rex kiss and release !

jaybee
05-02-2003, 04:47 PM
from what i hear they make good nigiri (sushimi) due to the whiteness and texture of the flesh. Had a feed yesterday, don't know if it was queenie but it was AOK.
cheers.