PDA

View Full Version : snapper on the fly

golden_retriever.
07-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Sorry about the quality of the photos. :( They were taken with my normal camera a few months ago while I was in south oz. I've just taken some snaps of the photos with my digital to make it easier to post but they don't look all that flash. Good enough!

clutter
07-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Nice one. What depth of water and what gear?

Clutter

Jack_Lives_Here
08-05-2003, 04:09 AM
What fly??

golden_retriever.
08-05-2003, 01:24 PM
We were in 7-8m of water with virtually no tidal run and a relatively sandy bottom except for a small patch of reef. The fish were more than willing to eat a fly (sillicone mullet) and I landed 8 on one of the early morning sessions. the fish ranged in size from about 3kgs up to 14kgs. :o (the photo of the big one is of poor quality on the original so I was unable to take another photo of it) I was using a #9 weight rod and #9 weight full sinking line. I dropped a large squid pattern down and whatever monstered it proved to beasty for the 9 weight to handle.
;D Jason

shawn
08-05-2003, 01:51 PM
G'day Jason,
Nice fish, You should put up those other pics in your camera. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wesley_Pang
08-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Nice fish Jason.

Did you have to burley them up?

Is that a Hayden anti-reverse?

Wes

golden_retriever.
09-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Hi sean ;D ;D ;D ;D
Unfortunately those "other" photos that were on my camera got deleted so I won't be able to put the up. ;)

Wes,
Yes we berleyed from when we got to the spot for about half an hour until daylight. Once the sun popped out the fish were coming to the surface to eat berley so we thought they were keen enough to stop berlying. The fish stayed on the chew for about 3 hours. My reel was an anti-reverse hayden sailfish. (The reel was stolen about 2 months ago. :'() The big salmon down in south oz were also great fun on it.