PDA

View Full Version : Bribie tuna

Matt
21-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Heres a pic of a nice longtail Wes Pang put me on to a couple of weeks ago.. You should have seen the one that got away #;D

Thanks Wes!

Matt.

setthehook
21-05-2003, 07:05 PM
That is unreal mate, I would love to get a longtail on fly. :o
How long was the fight and what was the tippet strength??? ???
Shame about the blood though, I can't talk i always get photo's of blood bathed fish!! :P
Good stuff though,Where was he taken?
Chow
Rob.

Quinny69
22-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Wes is pretty good at finding longtails,heres a fish I got that day, Not a LT but still good fun. I lost 2 longtails(my1st2 hooked) that morn so I was a bit sh%&y.

Quinny69
22-05-2003, 07:16 AM
And heres young Dave with a Macky got on his #7.

Jack_Lives_Here
22-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Nice fish Matt.

A tip for the uneducated - don't put the cork in your mouth while it still has fish slime all over it - YUK!!

Matt
22-05-2003, 02:34 PM
That is unreal mate, I would love to get a longtail on fly. :o
How long was the fight and what was the tippet strength??? ???
Shame about the blood though, I can't talk i always get photo's of blood bathed fish!! :P
Good stuff though,Where was he taken?
Chow
Rob.

The fight was about 30 mins from memory (wasn't it Wes?) It wasn't the only tuna caught on the day so I can't remember exactly. Tippet was 16lb vanish and the fly was a 1.5 inch surf candy tied on a gamakatsu siwash.

It was not far from the beach (as you can see) a few mile north of the southern end of bribie.

It was actually the second fish from a double hookup. Wes hooked a similar model to this one which we landed as well.

I don't know what it is about tuna and blood, all of mine have been jaw/mouth hooked yet they all still bleed when they come on board?

Matt.

Wesley_Pang
22-05-2003, 06:18 PM
SettheHook,

You may have to get off the ledge to get a Longtail on Fly. A Landbased Longtail on Fly would be a great achievement. You get some big tuna off the rocks down south.

Matt,

Have you got that Penn 4 drag serviced. I don't think its working properly, the drag increase should be more gradual. Get some 20+lb tippet material, we have to hookup and land them in quick time, none of this stuffing around 30 minutes for each fish and getting sharked.

Are you working this weekend? The weather doesn't look too bad, and the water may be clearer and the fish maybe feeding this weekend.

Wes

Matt
23-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Are you working this weekend? The weather doesn't look too bad, and the water may be clearer and the fish maybe feeding this weekend.

Wes
Wes, I'll give you a call..

Matt.